• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sterling hires investigators

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this is even over if the probate court sides with Shelly Sterling. He could likely appeal the decision, and if it comes down to it he could always file for divorce. I'm not exactly sure what a divorce would do to the trust, but it could be used to force Shelly out of power to sale the team.

Unless the NBA opens up to making Donald a deal he is likely going to still be the owner come the start of next season, and the longer this drags out the more likely the NBA is to lose Balmer as a buyer.

I doubt they'll lose Ballmer, he wants IN to ownership. And he's not the only bidder, so I think that's pretty much a done deal, there aren't any other franchises on the block he can buy into.

Sterling has already lost this case. He's just trying to make it as painful as possible for everyone involved. A bitter old man to the end.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arsonist.jpg

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald Sterling hires 4 private investigation firms to dig into NBA - ESPN Los Angeles

NBA better hope they don't find anything too damning.

It'd be interesting to see the response if there are records of discriminatory behavior by other owners etc etc

Silver should have just relented and waived the fine and conceded some dignity to the man.
Not that he necessarily deserved it, but he's a billionaire with pride, who you know is willing to fight you.
Instead, he does the opposite and basically humiliates him again on national TV.

Like Cuban said, what they are doing is opening up a big can of worms.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silver should have just relented and waived the fine and conceded some dignity to the man.
Not that he necessarily deserved it, but he's a billionaire with pride, who you know is willing to fight you.
Instead, he does the opposite and basically humiliates him again on national TV.

he should have and sterling would have easily taken his money and walked away, but then he looks likes a bitch to the inmates that run the asylum and he cant have that only 4 months on the job.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he should have and sterling would have easily taken his money and walked away, but then he looks likes a bitch to the inmates that run the asylum and he cant have that only 4 months on the job.

Or he looks like an absolute genius that forced out an owner no one wanted in the league anymore, and did it without any lengthy legal process or without anyone else having their name smeared in the press. No one cares about the ban and fine. The end goal is just to get him out as the owner as quickly as possible. Who cares if Sterling buys a ticket to a NBA game afterwards?

Looks like a bitch to the inmates? Yeah maybe until he reminds the inmates he just ran off a billion dollar owner who barely put up a fight by out smarting him at every turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - NONE OF THIS MATTERS.

The NBA didn't force Sterling out, number one. His wife sold completely on her own.

Secondly, no matter what they find.....it's not relevant to their case against HIM. He was fined and banned for HIS own actions and words. That's a fact he can't disprove, because he admitted to the commish that he made those comments.

What the league did to anyone else or didn't do has no bearing. They are a private organization that can punish their membership how they see fit. This is like a murderer suing a judge for not giving another murderer the same sentence. It's pointless and fruitless.

Sterling has nothing here. All he's doing is making his lawyer richer and hoping to embarrass the league......but make no mistakes, he HAS NO CASE.

Yeah, but it's illegal to record people in private. The NBA got illegally obtained information from TMZ, who obtained the illegally-obtained recording from somebody who obtained it illegally. Despite what became known in the public sphere, the NBA acted illegally by possessing something obtained illegally. And TMZ acted illegally by publishing something obtained illegally.

Legally speaking, the NBA and TMZ had no ground to stand on throughout this entire process, but I guess if you make enough people mad, it's OK to throw our entire legal system out the window and let the mob have at it.

I don't agree with what he said, just like I don't agree with the KKK's right to exist, but I'll defend to the death their right to do so. The laws are written- abide by them. If you don't like them, write your congressman and get them changed- but until then, follow them.

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very consistent. HOW did they force him out? They never even voted on the matter.

Sterling's wife paid TWO doctors declare him mentally incompetent, and she sold the team.

That has nothing to do with the NBA.

fify

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star you cant be this Naive. Cuban called it. He has every right to dig up the dirt on everyone now who possibly broke the leagues by laws.

By the way, no one one here making above argument is supporting this guy, we are just stating that the process of his departure may not be defendable..............if in fact the league has washed other incidents away but not this one

he better have evidence

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but it's illegal to record people in private. The NBA got illegally obtained information from TMZ, who obtained the illegally-obtained recording from somebody who obtained it illegally. Despite what became known in the public sphere, the NBA acted illegally by possessing something obtained illegally. And TMZ acted illegally by publishing something obtained illegally.

Legally speaking, the NBA and TMZ had no ground to stand on throughout this entire process, but I guess if you make enough people mad, it's OK to throw our entire legal system out the window and let the mob have at it.

I don't agree with what he said, just like I don't agree with the KKK's right to exist, but I'll defend to the death their right to do so. The laws are written- abide by them. If you don't like them, write your congressman and get them changed- but until then, follow them.

The league didn't get anything illegally. They found out the way we all did when it was PUBLICLY released.

That has no bearing on the fact he ADMITTED to it. Once it became public domain, they had every right to suspend and fine him.

This is not a criminal case. This is about what an organization can do to punish it's membership, and the tape really is not going to matter.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fine was nothing to him though. That was pocket change. I do agree with you and Cuban that you are opening a huge can of worms here with this.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star you cant be this Naive. Cuban called it. He has every right to dig up the dirt on everyone now who possibly broke the leagues by laws.

By the way, no one one here making above argument is supporting this guy, we are just stating that the process of his departure may not be defendable..............if in fact the league has washed other incidents away but not this one

he better have evidence

I think its completely defensible.

The tape was leaked to the public. When the league found out about it, they investigated. Sterling admitted to the commish in person that it was him on the recordings.

His guilt confirmed, they punished him according to their own by laws.

There's nothing here that infringes or violates Sterlings rights, not from an NBA perspective. YES he can dig up dirt on the league, but so can any citizen in the US. That still does not change the fact he broke by laws in the league and they punished him LEGALLY for it.

He doesn't have a defensible position, the league didn't force him out. His wife sold his team......now HOW she did that is in question. But the league indemnified themselves from a suit in the case of a sale, so WHAT BASIS do you feel he has a right to sue the NBA on?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its completely defensible.

The tape was leaked to the public. When the league found out about it, they investigated. Sterling admitted to the commish in person that it was him on the recordings.

His guilt confirmed, they punished him according to their own by laws.

There's nothing here that infringes or violates Sterlings rights, not from an NBA perspective. YES he can dig up dirt on the league, but so can any citizen in the US. That still does not change the fact he broke by laws in the league and they punished him LEGALLY for it.

He doesn't have a defensible position, the league didn't force him out. His wife sold his team......now HOW she did that is in question. But the league indemnified themselves from a suit in the case of a sale, so WHAT BASIS do you feel he has a right to sue the NBA on?

It's pretty simple. If his investigators find evidence that other owners have broken the NBA's by-laws and were not punished by the league, he would have a very strong case.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple. If his investigators find evidence that other owners have broken the NBA's by-laws and were not punished by the league, he would have a very strong case.

I disagree.

His case is now that "you let others do it too" is not really a strong legal footing. This is a private industry. They pick and choose who they punish and HOW they punish. The court can't dictate to them how to do so.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

His case is now that "you let others do it too" is not really a strong legal footing. This is a private industry. They pick and choose who they punish and HOW they punish. The court can't dictate to them how to do so.

No, but public opinion can.

If it comes out that an owner of another major sports team was using racial slurs and the public/players/employees revolt then sterling has made his point.

I feel like his goal here is to just cause as much of trouble and make as big of a scene as possible. And if he can take someone down with him and/or make the NBA look bad then I think he feels like thats a win.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

Actually, it is a very strong case, especially in California. As someone else pointed out, if you sign an agreement with an employer that states that you can be fired for being late, get fired for being late and can prove that others were not fired for being late, then you will win your case.

The court can absolutely dictate to them, it happens all of the time. Businesses are private industries, but are subject to all kinds of anti-discrimination laws etc. The reason Mark Cuban was concerned about it going to a vote is because it would set a precedent that they can't back away from.

Problem is, that Silver was so dead set on making a point here that he may have set the precedent already simply by starting the process.

Either way, win or lose, Sterling is doing exactly what he wants. He's delaying this and is preparing to drag the league down into the mud with him.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it comes out that an owner of another major sports team was using racial slurs and the public/players/employees revolt then sterling has made his point.

I feel like his goal here is to just cause as much of trouble and make as big of a scene as possible. And if he can take someone down with him and/or make the NBA look bad then I think he feels like thats a win.

Ah, I don't disagree with you here. I think his goal is to create as much carnage and destruction as possible.

I don't think he even cares about a lawsuit. There's no way he'd EVER win a billion dollar suit against ANYBODY let alone the NBA.

His goal is to embarrass the league. I just don't see how anyone thinks he has a realistic case. He's going to get his lawyer paid for sure, but thats about it unless he uncovers some earth shattering dirt.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's exactly the point. I'm not sure that Sterling even cares if he can win in court or not. He just wants to take down whomever he can. In fact, I read something a while back where he said he was taking people down with him.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it is a very strong case, especially in California. As someone else pointed out, if you sign an agreement with an employer that states that you can be fired for being late, get fired for being late and can prove that others were not fired for being late, then you will win your case.

The court can absolutely dictate to them, it happens all of the time. Businesses are private industries, but are subject to all kinds of anti-discrimination laws etc. The reason Mark Cuban was concerned about it going to a vote is because it would set a precedent that they can't back away from.

Problem is, that Silver was so dead set on making a point here that he may have set the precedent already simply by starting the process.

Either way, win or lose, Sterling is doing exactly what he wants. He's delaying this and is preparing to drag the league down into the mud with him.

Here's the problem with this.....there isn't a single rule or law in this entire planet that's fairly applied to every single person. He will need to prove a LARGE group of owners have all gotten away with murder, extortion, racketeering, fraud, embezzlement, and insider trading to win. He's going to need more than one guy.

And the FACT they've let him slide on multiple other occasions pretty much kills his case. His history is just too much for any reasonable person to think he got railroaded.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem with this.....there isn't a single rule or law in this entire planet that's fairly applied to every single person. He will need to prove a LARGE group of owners have all gotten away with murder, extortion, racketeering, fraud, embezzlement, and insider trading to win. He's going to need more than one guy.

And the FACT they've let him slide on multiple other occasions pretty much kills his case. His history is just too much for any reasonable person to think he got railroaded.

All he needs is one clip of of the Buss' family using the "N" word. thats it. Public outcry will do the rest, he won't have take it to court. Just break the story and let the people do the work

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't matter if all laws are applied fairly to every single person. All that a person has to do is prove that it wasn't applied equally to them.

The fact that they've let it slide in the past actually works against them. It helps prove his case that the NBA is not treating everyone equally under their own by-laws. I don't know if he can win, but in California, he can easily get it to trial based on that and I wouldn't want to bet money either way on how a California court will rule.