• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stephen Drew

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew batted .253/.333/.433 with a 110 OPS+. Those are well above average numbers at SS (only qualified shortstops with a higher wRC+ were Tulo, Lowrie and Desmond). And that was with his slow start. 3.1 WAR in 124 games is good.

It's so hard to imagine those numbers for Drew, yet they were true. I guess the post season numbers just stick in my head a lot more than his regular season stats.

I haven't given up on Will at all and I think he will turn it around. Sure he won't put up monstrous numbers or win a batting title but he will hit.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew batted .253/.333/.433 with a 110 OPS+. Those are well above average numbers at SS (only qualified shortstops with a higher wRC+ were Tulo, Lowrie and Desmond). And that was with his slow start. 3.1 WAR in 124 games is good.

It's so hard to imagine those numbers for Drew, yet they were true. I guess the post season numbers just stick in my head a lot more than his regular season stats.

I haven't given up on Will at all and I think he will turn it around. Sure he won't put up monstrous numbers or win a batting title but he will hit.

Drew was frustrating to watch at the plate in the postseason, so I don't blame you.

I haven't given up on Middlebrooks at all. I was actually kinda optimistic about him coming into the season. Josh Reddick was also known for not walking, but he's shown a better approach in recent years. He has struggled with injuries though. But his defense is outstanding and can at least keep him in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish the Red Sox still had Reddick. Didn't think you were giving up on Middlebrooks either.

Dear lord was Drew frustrating to watch... It was now overshadowed by the outcome but still.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What qualifies? Jhonny peralta had 450 AB's and a 120 OPS+?...in 107 games. Drew is a lifetime below 100 OPS+...that's why he isn't worth it...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What qualifies? Jhonny peralta had 450 AB's and a 120 OPS+?...in 107 games. Drew is a lifetime below 100 OPS+...that's why he isn't worth it...

502 plate appearances to qualify for batting title. Drew had 501, but it's kinda splitting hairs there.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your good thing going? Worth and Romaine, two players that are ok gloves with no bats?

Exactly.. I think he rivals both in defense if not better.. And the bat is no contest..

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we pause to laugh at Scott Boras?

How is sitting out this long good for Stephen Drew? What kind of contract can he expect now?

We can certainly laugh at Boras now. In Drew's defense he's as dumb as his brothers , but I guess that's what agents are for. Boras was delusional from day 1 and ultimately cost this guy some serious coin. We all know Boras will use the excuse about "the system" and will never accept responsibility for giving some horrible advice to a client. All this and Drew will be right back to square one in a few months .... with Scott Boras.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can certainly laugh at Boras now. In Drew's defense he's as dumb as his brothers , but I guess that's what agents are for. Boras was delusional from day 1 and ultimately cost this guy some serious coin. We all know Boras will use the excuse about "the system" and will never accept responsibility for giving some horrible advice to a client. All this and Drew will be right back to square one in a few months .... with Scott Boras.

What advice would you give to Drew then? Take a one year deal and let's not worry about the long term?

I wouldn't be surprised if most would players fire their agents after suggesting that, especially when inferior players to Drew have received long-term deals for similar coin recently.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What advice would you give to Drew then? Take a one year deal and let's not worry about the long term?

I wouldn't be surprised if most would players fire their agents after suggesting that, especially when inferior players to Drew have received long-term deals for similar coin recently.

the 1st thing I would do is fire Boras. It should have been obvious to Drew and Boras a while ago that what he was looking for wasn't coming. Take the 1 yr deal and worry about the long term after this yr. I'm not saying he didn't deserve multi yrs or X amount of dollars. I'm just pointing out he was obviously not getting what Boras was demanding so he should have taken what he could get and get on the field. If he's productive for the remainder of this yr who knows what could happen. I just know if it's me I'm not letting Boras find out what's out there becuz he already proved he doesn't know.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 1st thing I would do is fire Boras. It should have been obvious to Drew and Boras a while ago that what he was looking for wasn't coming. Take the 1 yr deal and worry about the long term after this yr. I'm not saying he didn't deserve multi yrs or X amount of dollars. I'm just pointing out he was obviously not getting what Boras was demanding so he should have taken what he could get and get on the field. If he's productive for the remainder of this yr who knows what could happen. I just know if it's me I'm not letting Boras find out what's out there becuz he already proved he doesn't know.

The thing you're not understanding is that the Red Sox made a 'qualifying offer,' which has time constraints.

When teams offer a 1 year qualifying offer, it needs to be offered and accepted within 2 weeks of the ending of the World Series.

So there's a reason why literally every non-scrub free agent rejects the qualifying offer, and that's because it needs to be accepted in mid-November, which gives the player virtually no time to explore the market.

So it's not as if the offer was open all winter, and Drew had time to explore the market and see that there were no other offers. After mid-November, the offer is dead.

So this goes back to my original point...if an agent tells a quality player to accept a 1 year deal before he could even explore the open market (winter meetings aren't till December for instance), that agent should probably be fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing you're not understanding is that the Red Sox made a 'qualifying offer,' which has time constraints.

When teams offer a 1 year qualifying offer, it needs to be offered and accepted within 2 weeks of the ending of the World Series.

So there's a reason why literally every non-scrub free agent rejects the qualifying offer, and that's because it needs to be accepted in mid-November, which gives the player virtually no time to explore the market.

So it's not as if the offer was open all winter, and Drew had time to explore the market and see that there were no other offers. After mid-November, the offer is dead.

So this goes back to my original point...if an agent tells a quality player to accept a 1 year deal before he could even explore the open market (winter meetings aren't till December for instance), that agent should probably be fired.
I understand the qualifying offer and details. I'm talking about the fact Boras approached this from the git go as though Drew is worth X amount and he clearly wasn't. Drew could have had opportunities to sign this winter with other teams and I'm sure for more than a 4 month deal. Boras mishandled this from the start by not knowing what his client is worth and walking away from what the market said his value is. Teams like the Mets stayed away strictly becuz of what Boras was demanding - they aren't the only team. Drew could be signed right now for probably 3 yrs at what he's worth , not what Scott Boras thinks he's worth.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

certainly you aren't implying Drew and Boras played this right ?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the qualifying offer and details. I'm talking about the fact Boras approached this from the git go as though Drew is worth X amount and he clearly wasn't. Drew could have had opportunities to sign this winter with other teams and I'm sure for more than a 4 month deal. Boras mishandled this from the start by not knowing what his client is worth and walking away from what the market said his value is. Teams like the Mets stayed away strictly becuz of what Boras was demanding - they aren't the only team. Drew could be signed right now for probably 3 yrs at what he's worth , not what Scott Boras thinks he's worth.

I don't think you do, because it appears that you were suggesting that Drew should've taken the qualifying offer.

Where Boras got greedy was where he sought an opt-out after 1 year. Sandy Alderson stated that the Mets would offer 3 years to Drew and both sides were in talks, but the opt-out provision killed the deal.

So Boras was in the ballpark in terms of years and dollars that Drew should've gotten (somewhere around 3 years, $39M), but the opt out clause was seemingly the dealbreaker. After how the Yankees were screwed over with A-Rod and now CC with opt-out clauses, it's not surprising that teams are shying away from them. That's where Boras screwed up, and not on the years and dollars aspect of it.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you do, because it appears that you were suggesting that Drew should've taken the qualifying offer.

Where Boras got greedy was where he sought an opt-out after 1 year. Sandy Alderson stated that the Mets would offer 3 years to Drew and both sides were in talks, but the opt-out provision killed the deal.

So Boras was in the ballpark in terms of years and dollars that Drew should've gotten (somewhere around 3 years, $39M), but the opt out clause was seemingly the dealbreaker. After how the Yankees were screwed over with A-Rod and now CC with opt-out clauses, it's not surprising that teams are shying away from them. That's where Boras screwed up, and not on the years and dollars aspect of it.

ok I'm with you on the opt out component here - no doubt it hurt him and no team is gonna agree with that BS again. I don't believe the Mets were that high in terms of $$. I read the NY papers daily and I never read those numbers - not that it matters a whole lot it's just I believe Boras drastically overrated Drew's value. Which leads to my main point here - Drew is not worth the $$ Boras claimed he was worth and that's been proven. The opt out could have been dealt with along the way if discussions went that far but they didn't in that very few teams would even inquire about Drew becuz of the price. In that sense Boras did a horrible disservice to his client. We're talking about an everyday SS who can't find a job and that simply doesn't happen. Drew was lead down the garden path by Boras and found out there was a landfill at the end of it. You and I both agree there should have been more teams than a couple who were in talks with Boras about Drew. Now don't get me wrong I don't think Drew is a guy you build a team around becuz I don't think he's all that great. He is however an everyday SS who was collecting unemployment becuz his agent thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok I'm with you on the opt out component here - no doubt it hurt him and no team is gonna agree with that BS again. I don't believe the Mets were that high in terms of $$. I read the NY papers daily and I never read those numbers - not that it matters a whole lot it's just I believe Boras drastically overrated Drew's value. Which leads to my main point here - Drew is not worth the $$ Boras claimed he was worth and that's been proven. The opt out could have been dealt with along the way if discussions went that far but they didn't in that very few teams would even inquire about Drew becuz of the price. In that sense Boras did a horrible disservice to his client. We're talking about an everyday SS who can't find a job and that simply doesn't happen. Drew was lead down the garden path by Boras and found out there was a landfill at the end of it. You and I both agree there should have been more teams than a couple who were in talks with Boras about Drew. Now don't get me wrong I don't think Drew is a guy you build a team around becuz I don't think he's all that great. He is however an everyday SS who was collecting unemployment becuz his agent thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

Here's about the Mets and drew where it appeared that the Mets were willing to offer 3 years. I'm guessing Boras was looking in the range of 3 years for $10-15M per year with the opt-out clause, and my guess would be that the Mets would've been offering around $10-12M a year.
Mets could commit 3 years to Stephen Drew, Boras seeking opt-out clause | Metsblog

And regarding Drew being out of a job, part of that is on Boras (particularly regarding the opt-out clause), but I'd say a large part of that was due to an abnormal market. Look at someone like Ervin Santana, who couldn't find a multi-year deal and ended up signing in mid-March to a 1 year deal. You would never expect/predict a pitcher like him to be unable to find a multi-year deal, especially when inferior/comparable pitchers like Colon, Kazmir, Ubaldo, Garza were getting multi-year deals at $10+M aseason. Or Nelson Cruz(who did have a PED cloud, but still was expected to get better than a 1 year, $8M deal). It was just a weird market this offseason.