• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stephen Drew

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we pause to laugh at Scott Boras?

How is sitting out this long good for Stephen Drew? What kind of contract can he expect now?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You laugh but I bet the Tigers sign him once they don't have to relinquish a draft pick.. :L

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once that no loss of a draft pick comes into play, he'll be signed.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers won't sign him.....

Why not?

You have an owner who most likely will not see another WS beyond this year.

Who do you have in your organization that is better at SS?

Once the draft passes, all he will cost you is about $8 million.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a good thing going now at SS and Iggy could be back.......typical NY response,,,just spend money lol

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a good thing going now at SS and Iggy could be back.......typical NY response,,,just spend money lol

What is your good thing going? Worth and Romaine, two players that are ok gloves with no bats?

Iggy will not be back this year, but I do agree I would rather have Iggy then Drew.

Actually I live in the greater Detroit area and all my responses were given to me by Tigers fans who want Drew. Nothing to do with New York.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing going is the D and chemistry on the team......Pitching and D are going to win.....sorry about the NY thing but money is the solution to most Yankee problems......

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good thing going is the D and chemistry on the team......Pitching and D are going to win.....sorry about the NY thing but money is the solution to most Yankee problems......

And?

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah because Stephen Drew would really be out of place in that lineup of cheap, homegrown players.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mets are still somewhat in it after the draft I could see them making a play for him. SS has certainly been a glaring weakness for the Mets so far (not that it was unexpected).

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mets are still somewhat in it after the draft I could see them making a play for him. SS has certainly been a glaring weakness for the Mets so far (not that it was unexpected).

Wilmer gets first crack at it.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the tight wad Wilponzi's really cared about the fans, or even the direction the Mets are heading ...then they would have had Sandy A. sign him by now.

Wilmer gets first crack at it.

Mets promoting long-touted prospect Wilmer Flores to play shortstop | The Strike Zone - SI.com

In the end, sticking Flores at shortstop is a temporary fix, one that could at least give a rebuilding team a better idea of whether a long-touted player can produce enough offense to merit carving out a spot at an easier position down the road. More than spending millions of dollars on a name-brand player unlikely to lift them into contention — namely Jhonny Peralta or Stephen Drew — that’s what the Mets should be doing right now. It may not work, but it’s worth a try.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew really is kicking himself for hiring Boras in the first place.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda sucks to see him play as well as he did for the Red Sox, helping them win another WS, and remaining unsigned in May. Even if he did bring Boras in as his agent.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda sucks to see him play as well as he did for the Red Sox, helping them win another WS, and remaining unsigned in May. Even if he did bring Boras in as his agent.

That was his downfall.. Bringing in Boras. He wasn't worth the money Boars demanded and filled his head with that he would get. It's not surprising the Red Sox didn't bring him back with all the revolving door policy they have at SS.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was his downfall.. Bringing in Boras. He wasn't worth the money Boars demanded and filled his head with that he would get. It's not surprising the Red Sox didn't bring him back with all the revolving door policy they have at SS.

It made sense in letting him go because Bogaerts was ready. And though Bogaerts certainly has some things to work on (defense, and the power hasn't quite flashed yet), he's shown a good approach at the plate and he's certainly holding his own (.379 OBP, 12.9 BB%, 110 wRC+) at the age of 21. Can't expect him to be a superstar in his first full season.

If Drew could have played 3B (though I wouldn't give up on Middlebrooks just yet, he looked a lot better in the 2nd half last year and he's shown much better plate discipline so far this year) or been used as a super utility player for a somewhat cheaper price, I would have brought him back.

Last edited by a moderator:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It made sense in letting him go because Bogaerts was ready. And though Bogaerts certainly has some things to work on (defense, and the power hasn't quite flashed yet), he's shown a good approach at the plate and he's certainly holding his own (.379 OBP, 12.9 BB%, 110 wRC+) at the age of 21. Can't expect him to be a superstar in his first full season.

If Drew could have played 3B (though I wouldn't give up on Middlebrooks just yet, he looked a lot better in the 2nd half last year and he's shown much better plate discipline so far this year) or been used as a super utility player for a somewhat cheaper price, I would have brought him back.

Oh no doubt it made sense because of Bogaerts, but having Boras thinking he was worth how much a year didn't help Drew and only made the decision so much easier for the Red Sox to let him go.

He was a very good defensive ss and that is what they need this year and yes he was "turning it around at the plate" but it was Bogaerts time to shine. I like Middlebrooks at 3rd and I am not so sure I would have liked Drew there.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no doubt it made sense because of Bogaerts, but having Boras thinking he was worth how much a year didn't help Drew and only made the decision so much easier for the Red Sox to let him go.

He was a very good defensive ss and that is what they need this year and yes he was "turning it around at the plate" but it was Bogaerts time to shine. I like Middlebrooks at 3rd and I am not so sure I would have liked Drew there.

Drew batted .253/.333/.433 with a 110 OPS+. Those are well above average numbers at SS (only qualified shortstops with a higher wRC+ were Tulo, Lowrie and Desmond). And that was with his slow start. 3.1 WAR in 124 games is good.

the biggest concern with Middlebrooks was that he'd never draw walks and strike out too much to be a productive hitter. The k% is down right now (though it's still kinda high), but he already has 7 walks in 61 PA this year. Last year, he had 20... in 374 PA. Doubt he'll ever contend for any batting titles, but if he can continue to draw some walks and continue to hit for power (he could easily hit 25+ in a season), he could still be a pretty useful player. Hopefully he'll start flashing the defensive tools scouts were raving about years ago. I thought Mid's offensive ceiling would be in line with Mariners Beltre (and Beltre as a Mariner was a very underrated player, he actually ranked 8th in the AL in bWAR in 06 and 08). Though Middlebrooks could end up walking more than Beltre ever did. But Beltre's numbers were killed by Safeco and Dodger Stadium.

Last edited by a moderator: