• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ST thread

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, it's only a huge plus if the guy can actually play. Doesn't always work out that way.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I've heard consistently about this Reds team is that they strike out too much. So whoever is on the roster and in the lineup needs to be able to cut down on that a little.

I have heard the so-called gurus of baseball says "strikeouts only hurt your feelings."

What I know about the strikeout is that it eliminates the chance of luck playing into the at-bat. If a ball is not put in play, not much else can happen.

The addition of Byrd to the batting order is a recipe for a lot of low-hit games. Just walk Votto and throw sliders to everyone else. No amount of bench help is going to change that.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at the starting eight for the Reds, everyone of them has the possibility of whiffing 100+ times given a full season of PA's.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Ferrell is playing 3b for the Reds for an inning today. Yes, that Will Farrell. It's officially a comedy now. Ironically, he probably won't do them any more harm than Hanahan would have, and the Reds don't have to pay him. It's a Bert Campernaris stunt for cancer charity. He's duplicating Campy's playing all 9 positions. Campy also tried to brain a pitcher by throwing his bat at him after a HBP once, so lets hope Farrell doesn't try that one too. It's all good fun until someone gets killed.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Ferrell might not be getting payed, but can you imagine all the paperwork with releases and waivers and such. The lawyers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walt may sign him. I think he may be younger than Marquis.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've seen Ferrell didn't throw the bat, but he didn't catch many balls either.

I'm just glad he didn't do a Juan Marichal imitation.... the Reds already have one catcher with a concussion.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he had to actually "sign" a contract.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure everyone covered their butts from a liability standpoint. Seems like a one day contract or in this case a one inning contract would have been the easiest way.

With the spectacle being promoted as a charity for cancer awareness, they probably could auction off a Will Ferrell signed contract/s for some ridiculous amount of money.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope this doesn't read as too maudlin or corny, because it's really the way i feel about the game.
all the contract and silliness aside, these sort of fund-raisers and awareness drives is a big part of what makes baseball great. it's in the fabric of our culture and has the ability to make significant contributions to these type of things. helping people with cancer attain their dream of going to college is something i hadn't thought of as an important endeavor. but, upon further reflection, it makes a lot of sense. anything that can get these young people to think about something other than their sinister disease is fantastic, and who else would have more motivation to eradicate this scourge in some college science lab?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of celebrities are doing this sort of thing, though we probably don't hear much about it over the Kanye West crap that is more interesting to the brain-challenged. I personally never considered Ferrell a top-tier actor, though he's certainly not a bit player. Still, the ballparks were jammed for his show. Goes to show you, that we can achieve some interesting results with a little creativity.

This compared to what they are doing this week in Mosul.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So whatever happened to Matt Magill?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magill has pitched a couple scoreless innings. Probaby been appearing in the B games. The media doesn't report too much on the B games unless a Votto type is playing. No official rules, record and stats aren't kept, just practice games on a back field.

You really don't hear his name in conversation about the Opening Day pitching staff ... rotation or pen. I don't know if they even really have a plan for the guy beyond organizational depth.

IMO, trading Heisey had more to do with his salary than getting Matt Magill.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true on Magill. The Reds chatter at the time talked the guy up as if he had an upside. I think they did that just to make the fans think something valuable had happened. It was probably worth 1 season ticket sale. LA wasn't going to give up an arm for a 5th outfielder, though they obviously knew Kemp was going to leave.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you get shut out 1-0 in a spring training game?
I see Votto had a couple more walks today. It's not like swinging the bat in an exhibition game is going to hurt him.
When he plays, that is.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds OF Brennan Boesch likely to make 25-man roster
by R.J. White | CBSSports.com
Reds outfielder Brennan Boesch is expected tomake the team's initial 25-man roster after outfielder Jason Bourgeois suffered a fractured shoulder this weekend, the Cincinnati Enquirerreports.

Manager Bryan Price indicated he's been pleased with Boesch's work in center, setting the nonroster invitee to serve as a reserve outfielder for the team. He has excelled at the plate this spring, going 9 for 21 with two home runs and five RBI. Boesch saw limited action with the Angels in 2014, hitting .187/.203/.293 in 75 at-bats.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of a weird way to break your shoulder. Bourgeois bunted and started towards first falling and suffering the injury.

I think Boesch was going to make the roster either way, but it makes the move easier for the Reds. They'll probably put JB on the 60 DL opening up a spot on the 40 man without having to DFA a player.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read a interesting article by local beat writer John Fay predicting Michael Lorenzen and Rasiel Iglesias making the Opening Day roster pen.

He has Schumaker, Negron, Pena, Boesch, and Dominguez making up the bench. Rounding out the bull pen were Chapman, Diaz, LeCure, Parra, Lorenzen, Iglesias, and Badenhop.

Rotation of Cueto, Leake, Cingrani, Desclafani, and Marquis with Homer on the DL.

That's 12 pitchers and 13 position players.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fay probably knows.
Dominquez and Satin both are getting a fair chance.
Gotta wonder if Kevin Gregg is going to be dealt or DFA.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fay is basing his opinion on conversations he's having with Bryan Price. With 3 weeks left until Opening Day injuries could play a role or things could change, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was spot on.

Reds loss 2-1 today with the Cub's only hit being a 2 run homer from former Reds player Chris Denorfia. The tying run was cut down at the plate in the ninth inning. A bang bang play after a clutch hit from Boesch off a lefty. Hopefully Boesch keeps hitting and the Reds stop getting gunned down at home. We saw enough of that last year to last a couple seasons.