• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ST thread

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cactus League #1 Reds hit and shutout the Tribe. So far so good.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indians threw some raw meat out there in the middle innings but the Reds hitters seemed to have some pretty good cuts. If that's going to be a trend, it proves that 10 runs without the home run can be achieved, though some balls were tagged pretty good. I did see one interesting play that I have always wondered why isn't done more.

Minor leaguer Irving Falu was on 2nd base and a ball in the dirt, just at the catcher's feet ... Falu saw it and took third. I recall a few years back when LaRussa told the Cardinals runners to go for it on any pitch in the dirt. They were still doing that a couple of years ago. It's great strategy, IMO. Lots of sinkers go hopping up there and when runners are standing there, picking their noses, they should realize that their odds of stealing 2nd base just got twice as good. I rarely see it from other teams, and I always see the Cardinals in the post-season.

Cozart even tried to steal a base!

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice to listen to the game on the radio. They'll be on again today while the city is getting the expected 6 inches of snow. Good day to stay indoors and listen to the game.

I agree totally with the base running John. One of the biggest parts of advancing is anticipating the opportunity. Runners that hesitate or are static miss the opportunity to advance. You see the same thing in 1st to third base running situations.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB.tv showed the game yesterday and I think it is on again today.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I subscribe to the MLB at bat. Never watched a game on MLB.tv. The ads I've seen look pretty reasonably priced. Between going to games, Fox Ohio, and WLW I have the Reds covered. Probably would be a good deal to watch the rest of the league.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other announcers are interesting though the worst are the Pittsburgh announcers.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-Ham going deep yesterday....interesting skill set- not that I want to see him hit a lot of flyballs, but I do think if he bunts more, he may get more fastballs up in the zone, and if he can turn them around, it's going to make it tougher on the opposition.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine the guy pitching was just trying to get a pitch in there to get some rhythm. Hamilton would be like any other hitter, waiting on that in the first inning.

The problem is, I've seen a lot of Reds pitchers do that in the first inning at GABP. The infamous Volquez spring of 2011 is memorable. And Bronson and Leake were inclined to do that too.

Hamilton's strength as an offensive weapon is from the left side. I wish he'd give up on batting righty.

Cueto today. I may tune in for that one.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BH swings hard for a guy that has a skill set better suited for being a slap hitter. Fly balls and sharply hit ground balls minimize his chances of capitalizing on his speed. I rather see a goose egg in the HR column and a .350 OBP. The stat of the day for Hamilton, he hit .341 when bunting last season.

There's a advantage to bunting and slapping the ball from the left side of the plate, shorter distance to first base. But BH has been a slightly better hitter from the right side since taking up switch hitting. I don't know if he's ever hit LH against a LHP, but I tend to think he's better off continuing to switch hit. His MLB splits are pretty close from both sides of the plate.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of switch hitters that might want to consider only hitting LH, Tucker Barnhart might be the guy.

If you see him hit LH you see a descent hitter with great defensive skills. As a RH it's been a struggle hitting .172 in over 400 AB's in the minors and has never hit a HR.

Mesoraco is strong against LHP and getting better versus RHP. Barnhart as a backup next year wouldn't be a bad mix if the Reds limit his AB's against LHP.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TV announcers- I despise Thom Brennaman. Always kinda liked his dad Marty with Joe on the radio though. I don't have any pay MLB access, but go get MLB network and FSO on cable. I always despised McCarver, because even though he was a "roving" analyst, he seemed to always get Cardinals games.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarver is part of the Cardinals broadcast team now. Just as dreadful.

As for Barnhart, I am really high on the guy. He plays hard and puts the ball in play hitting left.
As for him hitting right, honestly, I think the day of the strong righthanded hitter is in the rear view mirror.
The good leftie pitchers are being found, developed and trained.
I just wish the Reds had one.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Badenhop got rocked today... 5 runs quicker than a hungry man can eat a meal.

The Reds do have a lefty pitcher John- they may have the best lefty pitcher since Kershaw, maybe since the Big Unit... but are content to wait on 40 save situations in the regular season, (and none in post season) to let him pitch instead. Similar vision would have made Joey Votto a top 3 pinch hitter.

Barnhart is a good defender. The problem is he's also defensive at the plate. It's easier to catch a slider if you know it's coming, than it is to hit if you don't...It's a common failing. Some of the slightly more offensive catchers, are only catchers because they can't play acceptable D anywhere less, and if they could, couldn't outhit their competition...even more true in the DH heavy AL.

Anyway, I'm a believer that pitch recognition is a key component of hitting. Not that it helps you hit the slider better, just that it helps you hit the fastball before you get the slider. Only Ted Williams could see the seams rotating to pick it up in time to hit it or lay off, but there are easier other clues for mortals... .250 hitters don't get first pitch sliders unless they are notorious first pitch swingers...Rookies or struggling journeymen hitters don't get borderline strike 2 or 3 calls just off the black called balls... Good hacks fouled straight back never get the same pitch next time. Breaking balls come out on top of the pitchers hand, while fastballs come directly out of the hand....unfortunately, so do good sliders and cutters...a little lower arm angle is a clue on all but the best pitchers, who don't have to cheat to get sweep on it, but unless it's a rare hanger, no one is hitting them anyway.

I'm convinced that most .250 or worse hitting, low contact guys either take and/or foul off better pitches to hit than they strike out on. It's strike one that really kills them, not strike 3, IMO....but many could still salvage a bad at bat by just spreading out, closing up and trying to put the ball in play up the middle with 2 strikes. Fact is, most just won't. Most hitters get themselves out. Unfortunately, a strikeout isn't just another out- it doesn't advance anyone or risk an error on defense...the only good it does is make the pitcher throw a couple more pitches.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was kidding about the lefty.
With the Reds catching, I'd guess they let Pena walk after this year and keep Barnhart. After that, one would hope Mesoraco has become elite ... maybe he will get some innings on the infield or in LF. I think Barnhart will be a passable .230 hitter, much like Ryan Hanigan. The problem is if we have a SS who hits .220 and a left fielder who hits .233.

I recall Don Drysdale saying once that the pennant is won or lost on the 1-1 count. I have spent a lot of time paying attention to that over the years and generally hitters who win out are the guys who don't let the pitcher go 1-2. Still, not everyone can do exactly what he wants with the ball and if the ump squeezes the plate, the game changes.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Badenhop was throwing some meat up there today. His first game this spring so I guess I cut him some slack. He is a ground ball pitcher, got screwed on the fumble by Suarez and didn't tighten it up.

The word on Sean Marshall is apparently (without saying it) ... um ... give his number to somebody else.

Reds got a lefthanded Broxton wannabe with Mijares. Man, that guy goes 3 bills if he goes a quart.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Brantley had the call when Mijares came into the game. He introduced him as being 5 ft.11 in., 265 lbs. from Venezuela. He was 4 days late to ST, said he couldn't get a flight out of Venezuela. He might make the Opening Day roster being a lefty, but he hasn't made a good first impression with Bryan Price they say. He might want to throw strikes and record some scoreless innings..... taking a easy on the buffet table wouldn't hurt either.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to argue with 1-1 analogy or any break even pitch for that matter. One thing is always for certain on borderline break even pitches, someone isn't going to be happy. The umpire catches hell either way.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scores and game results are meaningless in ST, but I find it interesting to follow the process of forming the final roster.

Prices loves guys that can play multiple positions in the bench roles. Jocketty has a fondness for switch hitting middle infielders.

By all accounts Suarez is earmarked for Louisville where he can play everyday. So that leaves Negron and Irving Falu as candidates in the middle infielder position. Both play 4-5-6 position with Negron adding OF depth. Falu is a switch hitter with better minor league career numbers. Both have limited MLB service time.

It also appears they are looking to keep a 1b/ 3b profile bat type guy. Josh Satin and Chris Dominguez seem to be in competition for that role. Dominguez plays the OF corners and has hit 20 HR's in the minors. Both are RH roughly the same age with Dominguez being the more athletic with both adding RH power off the bench

The OF is LHB heavy in prospects and guaranteed contracts. Brennan Boesch looked to be the pre-ST favorite. He plays all three OF positions and adds LH power off the bench. He has reverse splits in that he doesn't hit RHP all that great.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

The SP will probably remain as we're seeing the first five games until either Cingrani, Desclafani, or Marquis pitch themselves out of a job.

The pen has some spots locked up. Chapman, Parra. LeCure, and Badenhop have guaranteed contracts. Jumbo is probably in and Price has a fondness for Hoover, so that's 6. I'd think one more LHP and another guy to make 8.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kevin Gregg will get a much closer look than we might have thought.
I lean to Josh Satin making the team. He plays the Hannihan corners nicely, if he can hit at all.
It keeps Pena off first base if that matters.
Outfield of Byrd, Skippy, Hamilton, Bruce ... and ......
Yorman or Bourgeois or Bosch.
Negron is probably in.
Maholm probably makes the 25-man roster.
Iglesias will start the year at Pensy, I would imagine.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be right on Gregg and Maholm. Maholm can either start or be the other lefty in the pen and Gregg might be the eight guy. Iglesias is probably as you predict, but maybe AAA.

Negron has the upper hand having more familiarity with the coaching staff. I like what Dominguez brings to the table over Satin.

Jocketty mentioned Boesch at Redsfest as a noteworthy signing. I think they favor him and he'd have to play himself off the roster.

They look to have 4 or so non-roster guys that might make it. I look for Lutz, Bourgeois, Villarreal to be DFA and as you mentioned in a earlier post.... Marshall to assume his normal spot on the 60DL.