• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2017

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Heredia can keep up his current pace or not, but he's making an early case for an Opening Day roster spot.
We see a couple players do this every spring. The problem is that if he makes the roster, it will be as bench player. As soon as is no longer seeing live pitching every day, his hot streak will evaporate. But I still like the guy. I just don't think he will get a spot on the 25-man roster. I think Dipoto wants Gamel to get a reserve outfield spot.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see Miranda starting in Tacoma than pitching out of the Mariners bullpen. The Mariners have a lot of good fringe players this year and it's looking like the Rainiers are going to have a pretty good rotation. They are going to have a good outfield too. I can see the Rainiers winning their division this year.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced either, but if he can have an ERA under 5 and pitch around 6 innings per start as the Mariners' theoretical 5th starter I am ok with that. I just don't want to see Horacio Ramirez or Carlos Silva type numbers from him. The Mariners have had far to many of those.
He also can't be a bullpen burner. I think it is possible he can be in the 4.5-4.75 ERA range, but it is basically impossible for him to avg. 6 innings per outing he walks to many batters and allows too many baserunners per inning, he pitched more than 6 innings 3 times last season.

To be honest I think we are going to see very similar stats to what Wade Miley put up last season. When there are better options it gets frustrating.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falling into my annual; "I really like the moves the Mariners made this offseason, they might be a contender this year!" mentality.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falling into my annual; "I really like the moves the Mariners made this offseason, they might be a contender this year!" mentality.
I'm with you.

I always have a level of optimism going into the early season. Usually there is a list of holes, question marks and players that need to overachieve. For me the difference with this season is I don't see the huge holes, I see less question marks and a deeper team than in the past. That being said I also don't see the M's being a juggernaut offense or pitching staff but more of a balanced team overall.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you.

I always have a level of optimism going into the early season. Usually there is a list of holes, question marks and players that need to overachieve. For me the difference with this season is I don't see the huge holes, I see less question marks and a deeper team than in the past. That being said I also don't see the M's being a juggernaut offense or pitching staff but more of a balanced team overall.

I just like the shift toward defense and speed a lot. With the exception of Jean Segura, the guys that the Mariners went out and added to the lineup aren't stars, but they all play defense well and can run. These are two things that the Mariners failed enormously at last year. The Mariners took two of their biggest weaknesses and turned them into strengths. Also, I like a lot of the depth that they added as well.

I think you're going to see an improvement from the rotation as well as the result of the improved defensive outfield. The Mariners will likely be playing three guys who have the athletic ability to play centerfield. In a spacious stadium like Safeco, that will likely pay huge dividends. Especially considering they will be replacing Seth Smith and Nelson Cruz.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like the shift toward defense and speed a lot. With the exception of Jean Segura, the guys that the Mariners went out and added to the lineup aren't stars, but they all play defense well and can run. These are two things that the Mariners failed enormously at last year. The Mariners took two of their biggest weaknesses and turned them into strengths. Also, I like a lot of the depth that they added as well.

I think you're going to see an improvement from the rotation as well as the result of the improved defensive outfield. The Mariners will likely be playing three guys who have the athletic ability to play centerfield. In a spacious stadium like Safeco, that will likely pay huge dividends. Especially considering they will be replacing Seth Smith and Nelson Cruz.

Speaking of Cruz in the outfield, I wonder if he's gonna see any action out there this year. I know the team would prefer to make him a full-time DH, but I also know that he would prefer to play in the field, so it'll be interesting to see how much time, if any, he spends out there now that it looks like we could actually have an entire outfield that doesn't make you say "Well, he can't be worse out there than this guy" about Cruz playing out there. Will the M's insist to him that he serves the team better as a full-time DH or will they placate him by putting him in right field once a week or against certain pitchers?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just started following this;

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Minors Retweeted
Baseball Canada‏Verified account @baseballcanada 2h2 hours ago

HOME RUN! @toneill21 gives Canada an early 2-0 lead with a HR over the RF wall! #oppo #TeamC
1f1e8-1f1e6.png

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00