• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2017

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but just remember, any losses in st are meaningless

;)

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was good to see DJ have a good start, but where does he ultimately land on the big club roster? I see him as a midseason trade chip.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns‏Verified account @GregJohnsMLB 15m15 minutes ago

Zunino helps Gallardo out of rough first by picking Cheslor Cuthbert off first for final out. But four runs on 3 hits, 2 BBs and HBP.

=====================

The one guy that really needs to prove himself off to a bad start. Done after one inning.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns‏Verified account @GregJohnsMLB 15m15 minutes ago

Zunino helps Gallardo out of rough first by picking Cheslor Cuthbert off first for final out. But four runs on 3 hits, 2 BBs and HBP.

=====================

The one guy that really needs to prove himself off to a bad start. Done after one inning.
Of the projected 5 starters I am the most worried about Gallardo. I am just not ready to buy into him after his last season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the projected 5 starters I am the most worried about Gallardo. I am just not ready to buy into him after his last season.

Greg Johns‏Verified account @GregJohnsMLB 4h4 hours ago

Gallardo says command cost him in rough spring debut. "I was just missing pitches by a little bit." Full story: http://atmlb.com/2l6hZrT

==========================

I hate two things about his statement.
1- Sounds like an excuse
2- If he has to be that perfect to succeed, then we are in big trouble. Missing pitches by a little bit gets you pounded, then what happens when he just misses all together? Already not liking this deal.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Johns‏Verified account @GregJohnsMLB 4h4 hours ago

Gallardo says command cost him in rough spring debut. "I was just missing pitches by a little bit." Full story: http://atmlb.com/2l6hZrT

==========================

I hate two things about his statement.
1- Sounds like an excuse
2- If he has to be that perfect to succeed, then we are in big trouble. Missing pitches by a little bit gets you pounded, then what happens when he just misses all together? Already not liking this deal.
That is a good point.... I realize it has only been a couple innings and I hate to say it but I already find myself convinced he isn't going to work out. I wish Dipoto would have just signed Jason Hammel, Royals got him for a very reasonable contract and similar money to what we are going to be paying Gallardo. I'm pulling for one of the younger guys to beat him out and force their way into the rotation.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good point.... I realize it has only been a couple innings and I hate to say it but I already find myself convinced he isn't going to work out. I wish Dipoto would have just signed Jason Hammel, Royals got him for a very reasonable contract and similar money to what we are going to be paying Gallardo. I'm pulling for one of the younger guys to beat him out and force their way into the rotation.

Agree 100%. My only thought to why he went the way he did was Smith's contract. I am thinking that JD was worried if he signed Hammel he would be stuck if he couldn't then unload Smith for young, cheap player. I think that thought process, if true, is redic and cheap minded. I do know in my mind that he went with less talent at a need position.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%. My only thought to why he went the way he did was Smith's contract. I am thinking that JD was worried if he signed Hammel he would be stuck if he couldn't then unload Smith for young, cheap player. I think that thought process, if true, is redic and cheap minded. I do know in my mind that he went with less talent at a need position.
I think that is pretty spot on with what the thinking was at the time of the trade.

Dipoto does this type of trade often where it appears he is almost going in circles with trades and getting some strange value for his own players.

I think we all know now that once he figures out the steps he needs to take to get the roster where he wants it JD just disposes of players that don't fit that path and doesn't worry too much about "value". A lot of other GM's probably most around the league will just hold onto players if they don't get what they ask for, Dipoto pulls the trigger. It will be interesting to see if his trade style will alter once he has built the organization for 3 or 4 years.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go ahead and lean on 'it was his first start in Spring Training' for right now and give it absolutely no more thought.

At this point, basing any projection at all on Gallardo's game yesterday is exactly the same as seeing Cruz hit 2 HRs the 1st 2 games and thinking he won't have any trouble at all this year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna go ahead and lean on 'it was his first start in Spring Training' for right now and give it absolutely no more thought.

At this point, basing any projection at all on Gallardo's game yesterday is exactly the same as seeing Cruz hit 2 HRs the 1st 2 games and thinking he won't have any trouble at all this year.

I get what you are saying, but his whole mindset even from last year scares me. He was horrible last year, but he didn't blame himself or his stuff. He was horrible yesterday, but it was because he was just a little off his mark. I hope you are right, but he sure sounds like a guy who has lost hi stuff but doesn't want to admit it which can be scary.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a new day, and we are off to the races already! 7-0 in the second. ST doesn't prove anything, but looks like we are in for an exciting year at the least.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners signed RHP Caleb Cotham to a minor league contract.

Cotham got off to a nice start with the Reds last season but then dealt with a shoulder issue and eventually had major knee surgery. He's resumed throwing off a mound, although it's unclear when he'll be game-ready. Cotham is likely to begin the season at Triple-A Tacoma.

-------------------------------

I like these kinds of moves. No risk add ons.