• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2017

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Whatever It Takes" is the new slogan for the Mariners. I guess it beats "True To The Blue", but whatever it takes should mean spending more as well instead of, as they have said themselves, "going for it" while still going cheap on the starting pitching, RF, 1B, and catching. I enjoy young talent as much as the next guy, but saying we are going for it and not spending top 5 money is kind of bs'ing and now adding "Whatever it takes" continues the mislead in my book.

This is more of a pet peeve thing than being disappointed in the team or management/ownership.

In a way I agree, slogans are cool but I like how it comes organically like Refuse to Lose, the whole SODO stuff before it got warped, even got to love these guys was essentially started by the fans cause after Randy and Jr left, nearly everyone outside of ARod was beloved by NW baseball fans.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Whatever it Takes" is the actual team's approach to the season. Not the fans, not the front office, not the broadcast media. The team, as in the clubhouse. And I don't think they need to rein it in because of salary or spending. It's their own thing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the Dodgers traded southpaw Vidal Nuno to the Orioles on Sunday, they offered him back to the Mariners, who declined thanks to a lack of roster space, reports Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune. Nuno spent most of the past two seasons in Seattle, which sent him to Los Angeles for catcher Carlos Ruiz in November.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally unrelated to spring training, but isn't it nice going into spring training not needing X, Y and Z needing to go perfect for the season? Not saying they are WS contenders but X, Y and Z needs to go wrong for them not to be playoff contenders.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know they get paid and are professionals but I truly wonder what goes through their heads when the walk up and see a dude throwing that hard.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if mentioned earlier and kinda old news but if you follow the minor leagues at all the days of the High Desert Mavericks and the Jackson Generals are over, at least for them as Mariners minor league affiliates. The are replaced by the Arkansas Travelers in AA and the Modesto Nuts in A advanced. Not a big deal though.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if mentioned earlier and kinda old news but if you follow the minor leagues at all the days of the High Desert Mavericks and the Jackson Generals are over, at least for them as Mariners minor league affiliates. The are replaced by the Arkansas Travelers in AA and the Modesto Nuts in A advanced. Not a big deal though.

I hadn't heard about the Travelers, but the Nuts I've known about since the day it was announced. Kind of a weird name for a baseball team, but they do weird things in the minors.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something I've wondered in passing but never looked into...

So when a team's minor league affiliate changes, which seems to happen a lot, does that team usually remain in existence and simply contain new players belonging to a different MLB team? Do the players from High Desert move to Arkansas, or did that franchise up and move, simply renaming and relocating itself and leaving High Desert without a team?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know they get paid and are professionals but I truly wonder what goes through their heads when the walk up and see a dude throwing that hard.

The neuron interaction to cause the butt to pucker?

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I've wondered in passing but never looked into...

So when a team's minor league affiliate changes, which seems to happen a lot, does that team usually remain in existence and simply contain new players belonging to a different MLB team? Do the players from High Desert move to Arkansas, or did that franchise up and move, simply renaming and relocating itself and leaving High Desert without a team?

I don't know why exactly this happens, I have always thought it to be very strange. So just an example, I even messed this up when I posted earlier- Last season the Mariners class A Advanced team was the Bakersfield Blaze (2014-2016) before that it was the High Desert Mavericks (2007-2014) and before that it was the Inland Empire 66ers (2001-2006), thats as far back as I need to go. The Bakersfield Blaze no longer exists I believe their spot in the class A Advanced league will be replaced by a team in the Carolina league. If the Mariners have players that played for the Blaze in 2016 and will be assigned to class A advanced again they will play for the Modesto Nuts. The Mavericks are now the Texas Rangers. The 66ers have been the Dodgers and the Angels since the Mariners.

So yeah they usually remain in existence and just switch Major League affiliation, but as you can see with the Blaze sometimes no. The minor leagues are a shit show.