• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Snead updates Rams Status at the Combine

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
INDIANAPOLIS -- General manager Les Snead met with the media Wednesday at the NFL combine. Here's what we learned about the St. Louis Rams:

i

Bradford1. In support of Bradford: As is often the case at Lucas Oil Stadium at this time of year, rumors begun churning about the Rams and quarterback Sam Bradford. One report indicated the Rams have given Bradford's agent Tom Condon permission to seek a trade. While that has to happen for those discussions to take place, things aren't always what they seem. In other words, the Rams aren't shopping Bradford. The bottom line is the Rams want to reduce Bradford's scheduled $16.58 million cap number and the easiest way for both parties to get a feel for Bradford's market is for his agent to have conversations with other teams.

Snead made it clear the team has no intention of getting rid of Bradford and conversations about how best to keep him have started.

"We've had dialogue with Sam and his people," Snead said. "Deleting him is not the answer."

2. Barksdale likely to test the market: Free agency is less than a month away, which means that if you aren't a player receiving the franchise tag, then you're probably going to see what the market bears when the new league year starts March 10. All signs point to Rams right tackle Joe Barksdale being one of those players, even though he's one potential free agent the Rams would like to keep.

"With Joe, that one, he was a starter, we've had some pretty serious dialogue with those guys," Snead said. "A lot of times players once they get through, they get close, it's good to test the market. And it's not the worst thing for the team, either, because now no one is guessing. Hey, here's the options. I think it makes the club, the player especially because he now knows reality versus make believe. And it helps the agent make the best decision."

3. Keeping the other quarterbacks: The Rams also have two quarterbacks who technically aren't under contract at the moment in Austin Davis and Shaun Hill. It seems unlikely both will be on the roster next season so long as all options are healthy, but Snead indicated it's possible both could return.

"Austin is really technically not under contract but it's not like he can go seek another job," Snead said. "He's the easy part of the equation. We are definitely chatting with Shaun's people. We have been chatting with them."
4. Long progressing, also under discussion:Like Bradford, offensive tackle Jake Long is coming off two ACL surgeries and carries a heavy price tag for 2015. His cap number is $10.5 million and the Rams could save $8 million by releasing him.

Snead said retaining Long wouldn't be a bad thing for the Rams but, like with Bradford, dialogue is open between the Rams and Long's representative, who happens to also be Condon.

"I do think as he rehabs if he can get back to Jake Long previous knee, he can help the team win," Snead said.

5. Where Barron fits: In a question that was a bit out of left field, Snead was asked where he sees safety Mark Barron fitting in moving forward. Snead said that's an ongoing process but the offseason should allow the team more time to figure out how best to deploy Barron.

Don't be surprised if the Rams use the "big nickel" they used near the end of the season as more of their base defense in 2015. The alignment puts Barron on the field as a de facto but versatile linebacker while also keeping safeties Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald on the field.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they better as hell keep barron on the field if he cost us 2 draft picks E_E

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they better as hell keep barron on the field if he cost us 2 draft picks E_E

Yeah I like the "Big Nickel" I guess Dunbar was coming off the field?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunbar's days are numbered especially with a guy like Barron around.

Rambulance

MuscleBear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not very comfortable with the stuff coming out of Ram's Park. I don't disagree that Bradford is the QB this season because there isn't any better options out there. But publicly hitching your wagon and the starting position to a guy that you're trying to restructure this offseason and who hasn't played in 2 years...just seems fishy.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah somethings weird! Hearing Snead talk about Sam was a completely different tone then Fisher a few days ago. Snead really said nothing positive about him. last year when asked how the rehab was going it was always super positive. I know when Sam was interviewed about a month ago he said he was on schedule and feeling great. not so much now... when Snead was asked at the combine how sam was coming along he was very vague like he wasn't sure?? they get updates.. he's doing some stuff. total BS they know how he is. he also made it a point to say Sam has missed 25 games almost like telling other teams to beware lol. I had the feeling that sam's agent wanting to test the market value caught them off guard. I think they thought it would be a simple restructure but its not looking that way. why it caught them off guard i have no idea. the Rams only have 20 days to resolve this or they will have to pay him the 13m or cut him. We hired a QB coach and we really don't have a QB :eek:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the coach has to work with Bradford, whereas the GM has to look to add depth and a potential replacement behind him. Makes sense they would word things differently IMO.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the coach has to work with Bradford, whereas the GM has to look to add depth and a potential replacement behind him. Makes sense they would word things differently IMO.

Now Fisher has come out and said today that Sam doesn't have permission. Crazy. I was going to say that yesterday that it would make no sense to let him talk to other teams.

Last edited: