• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sizing up the Potential AZ/Duke Matchup

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to take anything away from Drexel, but we have over a week to theorize the matchup with Duke, until we play them. I'll put a Drexel game board up next week.

Personally, I think we match up well with Duke. I think that Cook and TJ match up well together, on both sides of the ball. Both are really good passers. The scoring threat from Cook is neutralized by the defense of TJ. Should be a great matchup there.
PG: TJ=Cook

Sulaimon and NJ are both great players, but NJ is such a strong on-ball defender, that I just can't see Sula doing well against him. Nor do I see Sula able to hang with NJ as a defender.
SG: NJ>Sula

Hood is going to have to go up against AG and RHJ. I think that Hood will stand a slightly better chance of scoring on AG, than he will on RHJ. Hollis-Jefferson is already a lock-down defender... as a freshman. His ability to score, I think, will hinge upon his ability to draw fouls by driving the lane (which is possible). Other than that, it's going to be difficult to score for him. Defensively, Hood will have his hands full with the more athletic, AG and RHJ. AG will be all over the place grabbing boards and put-backs and commanding respect from 3. Unless both freshmen get into horrible foul trouble early, I see AZ with the edge.
SF: AG>Hood

Parker will get his points, but it will be his most difficult test. AZ has so much size that he's either going to have to work outside -more like a SF- or deal with the trees. AG will play some PF, and the starters (BA and Zeus are 6'8" 230 and 7'0" 235, respectively. BA is developing into a very solid PF, especially on the offensive side. I have to give a slight edge to Duke. Parker is a talent, but he will feel more lonely down low that most games this season.
PF: Parker>BA

Zeus is coming into his own. He's only a sophomore, and still making mistakes, but he is growing every game. Jefferson sacrifices 3 inches and 25 pounds to Zeus, and that will probably be the difference, especially defensively, for Zeus.
C: Zeus>Jefferson

We don't really need to belabor the coaching matchup, right?
Coaching: K>Miller

It looks like Coach K really doesn't use his bench much, unless it's a blowout. AZ's rotation is very solid 1-7. RHJ and York could start on at least half the teams in the top 25. I don't feel like a homer saying that. Both are coming off the bench averaging double digits, both play great defense, and both are very smart, athletic, and driven. York is the backup SG, and RHJ is AG's backup at SF, especially when AG slides over to play the 4. The only really weaknesses that AZ has in their bench is the lack of a backup for TJ and Zeus. Other than that, they are very solid in their rotation. It looks like Thorton's good for a 3 ball per game, and that Dawkins can score, but it doesn't look like K trusts Dawkins, because he only gets PT during blowouts.
Bench: AZ>Duke

Experience will be a factor, especially for AZ, who has not played a top-5 team yet. I think that it might take a while for AZ to settle down. I see AZ get rattled and try to force things, and it looks like they get overwhelmed during stretches (especially the freshmen). Shouldn't be too much of a factor, but it will play into it, early.

Overall, I have AZ with a slight edge. That being said, I think it will be a great game. I do think AZ should win, but if AZ starts getting into foul trouble, Duke could extend a lead pretty quickly. That's my biggest worry. Truth is, AZ just has such an impressive defense, that unless the have to back away because of foul trouble, I can't see Duke being too successful. Duke is very top-heavy in their scoring. I just don't see where the scoring will come from, besides Parker. If hood gets hot from 3, that could certainly be a problem; AZ has shown to be slow to guard the perimeter at times. If Duke can get it going from outside, it could be dagger after dagger, all the way to victory.

Bottom-line is that I don't like calling victories, because it seems so certain. This is college basketball. I think it's better to call best of 10-game winners. I think AZ wins 6 of 10. AZ will probably start slow, just because of the venue and nerves. But unless the 3s start raining, they should be able to play their game. It would come down to this being one of the 4 that Duke wins though. Like I said, I'm worried about AZ fouling, and Duke's perimeter shooting. But if AZ can avoid those pitfalls, I see AZ taking it: too much rebounding, and stifling defense. AZ has held their opponents to anywhere from 27%-37% from the field. They just limit the opponent's ability to score, and take away possessions on the glass. It will be great to see how Cook is able to facilitate the offense against AZ.

Prediction: AZ 73 - Duke 70

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good breakdown, CTP.

I think RHJ gets extended minutes in this one along with York. Zeus may see limited minutes due to matchups. We'll see though.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think will be a better defender against Parker: BA or AG? Because I think that's who gets the PT at the 4. We can sacrifice any offensive weakness at that spot, if they are a better matchup defensively against Parker. I think it's AG, but I'm worried about our defenders getting into foul trouble against Parker. He's a 68% FT shooter, and I just think that he stands to try and get a bunch of and-1s against us.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think will be a better defender against Parker: BA or AG? Because I think that's who gets the PT at the 4. We can sacrifice any offensive weakness at that spot, if they are a better matchup defensively against Parker. I think it's AG, but I'm worried about our defenders getting into foul trouble against Parker. He's a 68% FT shooter, and I just think that he stands to try and get a bunch of and-1s against us.

I'd say AG because he's a little quicker than Ashley. I think RHJ matches up the best against Parker out of anyone on the team which is why I think he'll get some extended PT.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant you guys just run them out of the gym like you did 2 years ago in the tourney?

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant you guys just run them out of the gym like you did 2 years ago in the tourney?

I think everyone but Duke fans would love to see that. Tall order though, but not impossible. If Parker doesn't have a good game, and Hood gets shut down, it could definitely happen. I just think that with Duke having Parker, and AZ not having D-Will, there is unfortunately be no blowout this game.

So RHJ on Parker, huh? I can see it, but RHJ gives up 20 pounds to him, although he is athletic enough. Might just throw all three into the mix against him and see who does better.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone but Duke fans would love to see that. Tall order though, but not impossible. If Parker doesn't have a good game, and Hood gets shut down, it could definitely happen. I just think that with Duke having Parker, and AZ not having D-Will, there is unfortunately be no blowout this game.

So RHJ on Parker, huh? I can see it, but RHJ gives up 20 pounds to him, although he is athletic enough. Might just throw all three into the mix against him and see who does better.

You have identical teams. Cook and McConnell should be a good match up but damn. Rodney Hood playing so well right now. But they haven't played a defense like yours. Could be a great game.

How is Coach K recruiting on athletes that was always a problem with his teams in recent years come tourney time? Didn't have the speed and athleticism to play a transition game.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have identical teams. Cook and McConnell should be a good match up but damn. Rodney Hood playing so well right now. But they haven't played a defense like yours. Could be a great game.

How is Coach K recruiting on athletes that was always a problem with his teams in recent years come tourney time? Didn't have the speed and athleticism to play a transition game.

He threw his hat into the one-and-done ring. It opens players up to go to a school like Duke, when they don't have to commit to 4 years getting such a tough education.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting a developmental 3 star recruit paid off for teams like Indiana with Oladipo. Always good to have one of those every 2 years in a blue blood program.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting a developmental 3 star recruit paid off for teams like Indiana with Oladipo. Always good to have one of those every 2 years in a blue blood program.

That's what I'm saying. K was all about getting the players that he could develop that were all about staying 4 years.

But now he can mix those with the Kyrie Ervings and the Jabari Parkers that are the one-and-dones that he never really could get. A big part of that is that there players had to stay two years, so that's two years at Duke. That's tough to do and focus on basketball. But when you only have to pass one semester, OAD players can play for the best coach in the game, and not have to worry about having to deal with Duke academics. Same with Okafor and Tyus Jones, next year.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm saying. K was all about getting the players that he could develop that were all about staying 4 years.

But now he can mix those with the Kyrie Ervings and the Jabari Parkers that are the one-and-dones that he never really could get. A big part of that is that there players had to stay two years, so that's two years at Duke. That's tough to do and focus on basketball. But when you only have to pass one semester, OAD players can play for the best coach in the game, and not have to worry about having to deal with Duke academics. Same with Okafor and Tyus Jones, next year.

Everyone said Oladipo was stupid for going to Indiana. Why not best facility's, work and get better. He knew what he was doing. 3 stars can play at big time schools if they put in the work.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea! After Arizona beats Drexel (most likey) on espnu. I'll finally get to see Arizona play for the first time this year vs Duke.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justise announcing tomorrow at 3:30 pm central time. It's between Dook and Arizona so I thought it would be fitting to add this to the Dookie thread.

I'm nervous and shit.

Zona_Men

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think CTP sized them up pretty well. I think the difference will be Arizona's defense. I truly believe Arizona has an elite defense and I just think duke is going to struggle early on in their defensive development. They did after all let ecu score a lot of points. If Arizona loses imo it will be because of a lack of execution on the offensive end and a weak effort on the boards

WildcatR.J.MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UCLA might sneak in an Get Winslow today... I've heard they made a major push for him the last couple weeks an they think they got him today

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UCLA might sneak in an Get Winslow today... I've heard they made a major push for him the last couple weeks an they think they got him today

Haha every school thinks they have him. You never know what a high school kid is really thinking..... i.e. Kameron Chatman

WildcatR.J.MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the GTown Northeastern game and Laphonso Ellis just gloated about T.J. an NJ being one of the three best backcourts in the nation along with Memphis an UConn. Saying how great our backcourt was on defense and what a steal TJ was for Arizona. I can't say for one second I disagree with him either.

Memphis should not even be included with UConn an AZ for the best backcourts in the country.