• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(Since I bring the Controversial but Necessary Topics), is this discussion....

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kind of crazy to think that by Pee-Wee, I am going to have 43.33 almost exclusively in goal because it's safer. Speaking in averages anyway.

I have kind of a warped view of it all, though. There's just such a degree of luck involved, it's almost not worth worrying about. The worst injury of my BMX career was pretty brutal. But the neurologist said that had I been wearing a helmet, being unconscious for the few minutes I was could have caused brain damage due to swelling and having my head having nowhere to go inside the helmet. I was headed for a concussion no matter what.

I also know a kid who was in a coma after falling in a bath tub. Some things you can't control.

I've had four concussions, and I work with my brain. Live, be careful, don't take chances with ANY injury and recovery.

Yep. I got a concussion from hitting the ground when I passed out, can't controll everything.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im just saying i wouldnt call him an idiot because he's not ... the sport of football (and hockey) is all about the culture of bravado ... i really dont think taking face masks off will do anything about it ... prime example rugby ... guys still dive headfirst into tackles

the only solution is to outlaw and punish hits leading with the head

and lots of people are outraged by that proposition

culture would have to change first

Leading with the head is outlawed in rugby. All hits have to be shoulder or arm first, then wrap. At least, that's how it was in our league. You got automatically tossed if you led with your head, or if you hit another player in the head.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leading with the head is outlawed in rugby. All hits have to be shoulder or arm first, then wrap. At least, that's how it was in our league. You got automatically tossed if you led with your head, or if you hit another player in the head.

the point i was trying to make was in rugby ... no facemasks or helmets ... and tackling occurs by leading with the head ... ie youre going down, unprotected with your head right there, exposed, to tackle with your shoulder or upper body

removing facemasks from the equation doesnt remove the bravado

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the point i was trying to make was in rugby ... no facemasks or helmets ... and tackling occurs by leading with the head ... ie youre going down, unprotected with your head right there, exposed, to tackle with your shoulder or upper body

removing facemasks from the equation doesnt remove the bravado

If you know what you're doing, we'll bull your neck and have your eyes up the whole time, and you should never make contact with the opponent with your head. It's just a matter of knowing what your doing, which means it's a matter of teaching the kids at a young age what they should be doing.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you know what you're doing, we'll bull your neck and have your eyes up the whole time, and you should never make contact with the opponent with your head. It's just a matter of knowing what your doing, which means it's a matter of teaching the kids at a young age what they should be doing.

youre missing what im saying and its probably because I used "lead with the head in my last post" when I shouldnt have ... in rugby tackling, the head is exposed ... it gets hit alot ... mostly by other peoples arms, shoulders, legs, the ground ... incidental stuff ... people still play rugby ... the rugby culture is similar to football

removing facemasks from football players wont stop players from exposing their heads to physical contact

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
youre missing what im saying and its probably because I used "lead with the head in my last post" when I shouldnt have ... in rugby tackling, the head is exposed ... it gets hit alot ... mostly by other peoples arms, shoulders, legs, the ground ... incidental stuff ... people still play rugby ... the rugby culture is similar to football

removing facemasks from football players wont stop players from exposing their heads to physical contact

I only got hit in the head once in four years, games and practices. Maybe I'm just better than everyone else at keeping my head out of harm's way...

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only got hit in the head once in four years, games and practices. Maybe I'm just better than everyone else at keeping my head out of harm's way...

so you played rugby 4 years and came out of it with the beautiful soft ears of a new born bunny? lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, in baseball, proper throwing mechanics should be heavily stressed by coaches, and no kid should be throwing curveballs, ever. At that level, just throw a fastball and a changeup, and work on velocity, location, and pitching strategy. Maybe allow a cutter, as well. That would give them 4 pitches which all do different things, but put the least strain on the arm and have the same motion.

4-seam fastball: Straight, fast, and easy to locate.
2-seam fastball: Not was fast, but moves a little bit. Tails right for a righty and left for a lefty.
Cutter: A little slower still, but moves left for a righty and right for a lefty.
Changeup: Slow, change of speed pitch. Due to low velocity, also seems to "drop" a little.

Simple.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, in baseball, proper throwing mechanics should be heavily stressed by coaches, and no kid should be throwing curveballs, ever. At that level, just throw a fastball and a changeup, and work on velocity, location, and pitching strategy. Maybe allow a cutter, as well. That would give them 4 pitches which all do different things, but put the least strain on the arm and have the same motion.

4-seam fastball: Straight, fast, and easy to locate.
2-seam fastball: Not was fast, but moves a little bit. Tails right for a righty and left for a lefty.
Cutter: A little slower still, but moves left for a righty and right for a lefty.
Changeup: Slow, change of speed pitch. Due to low velocity, also seems to "drop" a little.

Simple.

Careful, you may open pix's can of biomechanical worms. Kids shouldn't be pitching anything other overhead stuff. There are farrrrrrr too many kids throwing these sliders/curves at the age of 9 are asking for trouble in the very near future.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful, you may open pix's can of biomechanical worms. Kids shouldn't be pitching anything other overhead stuff. There are farrrrrrr too many kids throwing these sliders/curves at the age of 9 are asking for trouble in the very near future.

I forgot about stressing the over-the-top motion for all players. I was a 3/4 guy, and my arm was sore after every practice. Sidearm's even worse on the arm.

Besides that, over-the-top mechanics give the best control and velocity, I recently learned. At least, that proved to be the case for me.