• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(Since I bring the Controversial but Necessary Topics), is this discussion....

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are valid concerns. I want my kid to be a doctor or engineer or inventor or entrepreneur. If he/she wants to play sports, i want him/her to, but at what cost. The head is important. You think with it.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be wise to remember the words of Apollo Creed:

Stay in school and use your brain. Be a doctor, be a lawyer, carry a leather briefcase. Forget about sports as a profession. Sports make ya grunt and smell. See, be a thinker, not a stinker.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are valid concerns. I want my kid to be a doctor or engineer or inventor or entrepreneur. If he/she wants to play sports, i want him/her to, but at what cost. The head is important. You think with it.

i definitely gotta say ... i think more now about "what sport my kid is gonna play" that my boy is approaching 4 years old ... what the hell is safe ??? Tennis maybe???

He's already in soccer but theres studies in the UK that repeated headers do damage to the brain

my wife enrolled him in karate starting next month ... i jokingly said we could put him in jiu jitsu by 7 and mma by 10

hockey and soccer are frightening prospects

/that being said ... he started skating lessons Sunday :thumb:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted my kid to be a golfer (don't have a kid but when I do) but the skin cancer rate in golfers in like 17 times that of normal people.

CURLING!!!!

arent golfers all juiced up on beta blockers

and pretty much all curlers end up being alcoholics

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very much so! It is not fun to think about the consequences.

This is just a small list of what I have seen and had to "test" kids on even my own. I use the term "test" very loosely because I would never use my judgement.

Kids football the constant blocking in the back. I seen quite a few kids get whiplash and who knows how much affected the brain. Glad my kids quit football because I witnessed too many injuries for poor techniques.

Then in baseball yes they wear the helmets but I seen many kids get drilled with pitches where the helmet doesn't cover like the upper neck or in the head in the field.

Finally in hockey many bad checks, falling backwards hitting head on ice and even sticks swung at the head. I had to take my kid to the hospital once after a kid hit him in the head with this stick. They didn't diagnose a concussion but who knows if they treated it properly.

What is scarier is the anyone over the age of 20 and how poor the tests were when they were kids or even older for the rest of us.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted my kid to be a golfer (don't have a kid but when I do) but the skin cancer rate in golfers in like 17 times that of normal people.

CURLING!!!![/QUOTE]

How about Ping Pong?

Ehh there might be some shady events in the far east.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CURLING!!!!

Tennis would work. Traveling all over the world on chartered planes. Receiving money for just appearing at tournaments let alone winning them. I imagine it's a nice life.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but I WANT them to be scientists...so this is good......

get your kids to be scientists ... you can retire and they repay your solid parenting by funding your over 65 lifestlye ... play golf all day on the new and improved beta blockers they created

win!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in cities (particularly selected cities) has been shown to cause respiratory problems.

Living outside of a city raises your chances of being mauled by wildlife.

Looking at a computer screen for extended periods can cause retinal damage.

Being a doctor can expose you to more viruses and potentially lethal bacteria.

ARRRGGHHH.

Let's just throw everyone in sensory deprivation tanks and make sure they're safe.

My kids are gonna do what makes them happy, active and productive. If they get injured, they'll get better.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in cities (particularly selected cities) has been shown to cause respiratory problems.

Living outside of a city raises your chances of being mauled by wildlife.

Looking at a computer screen for extended periods can cause retinal damage.

Being a doctor can expose you to more viruses and potentially lethal bacteria.

ARRRGGHHH.

Let's just throw everyone in sensory deprivation tanks and make sure they're safe.

My kids are gonna do what makes them happy, active and productive. If they get injured, they'll get better.

totally agree with everything you said ... cant shelter kids from everything

but trust me ... your views on alot of issues change a bit when you actually have one of those little beasts under your care and control

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sort of study should already be underway in youth hockey leagues, in my opinion. For the most part, it's a simple matter of adjusting rules, teaching better fundamentals, and improving equipment.

Current hockey helmets are pretty crappy, and if the way NHLers wear theirs is any indication, proper use of them is not being taught. The best helmet in the world won't do any good if you don't wear it properly.

In football, teach kids to run and tackle with their heads up, to lock out when they block, and to never target the head when hitting an opponent. Heavily penalize players for illegal and dangerous blocks and introduce rules which penalize players for poor form.

In hockey, put significant emphasis on proper use of equipment, including equipment checks before every period by officials, and heighten the consequences for making any form of dangerous play.

Design the youth leagues to prevent the kids from developing the bad habits which heighten the risk of injury and we'll see the effect right up the ranks into the pros. You can't completely eliminate the danger, but you can reduce the chances something bad will happen, and as long as that's possible without hindering the integrity of the game, every effort should be made to do so.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sort of study should already be underway in youth hockey leagues, in my opinion. For the most part, it's a simple matter of adjusting rules, teaching better fundamentals, and improving equipment.

Current hockey helmets are pretty crappy, and if the way NHLers wear theirs is any indication, proper use of them is not being taught. The best helmet in the world won't do any good if you don't wear it properly.

In football, teach kids to run and tackle with their heads up, to lock out when they block, and to never target the head when hitting an opponent. Heavily penalize players for illegal and dangerous blocks and introduce rules which penalize players for poor form.

In hockey, put significant emphasis on proper use of equipment, including equipment checks before every period by officials, and heighten the consequences for making any form of dangerous play.

Design the youth leagues to prevent the kids from developing the bad habits which heighten the risk of injury and we'll see the effect right up the ranks into the pros. You can't completely eliminate the danger, but you can reduce the chances something bad will happen, and as long as that's possible without hindering the integrity of the game, every effort should be made to do so.

^ wore his helmet properly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ wore his helmet properly

You better believe it! :thumb:

Precious cargo in this skull. :nerd:

And it's amazing what good form will do for you, by the way. In rugby, you must always tackle on your feet, make a complete wrap, and cannot tackle above the shoulders or lift your opponent. In our league at least, there were very few head injuries as a result of these rules, despite the fact that ruggers don't wear helmets. That's just an example of how adjusting rules to require good form will help with the injury problems.