• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should The NCAA Form a Separate Sub-Division For G5 Conferences?

Should G5 Teams Have Their Own Sub-Division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem going forth: Alabama is always in with one loss regardless of playing Arkansas State and Citadel (as they will next year) not having to win their division. An undefeated Conference Champion will be left out even if there are three of them as the SEC will also get an auto bid for it champion. This current situation has nothing to do with who is the best to earn a spot in the playoff ,it is the subjective (although bias)_ decision of the committee. It however should be based on who deserves to go.
Had Alabama not lost to Auburn then either Alabama or Georgia would not be in. By not winning their conference they guaranteed themselves a spot.
Which is why I will not be watching but hoping for a Georgia win.

Alabama, SEC and Conference Champion are nothing without meaning behind them. You act as if it's those labels that matter, not the accomplishments that come with.

Alabama played a resume that was good enough to make the top4. It's not because "Alabama". It's not a 6 loss Alabama making it into the playoffs. It's a team with 1 loss, to a rival on the road, while your so called "conference champions" all have either 1 loss themselves(and made the playoffs) or 2 or more losses(and did not).

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fresno St went undefeated they would've likely made the playoffs. UCF didn't play an Alabama or Washington.

And that team Auburn lost to that lost to a G5 team (LSU), Alabama beat them. So by your logic Alabama beat Auburn, so then it's Troy>LSU>Auburn>Alabama>LSU?

Fresno St had a SoS that was strong enough to make it to the playoffs if undefeated.

I have nothing against G5 teams, I just don't reward bad schedules like UCF's. If you are unable to see the difference between UCF's and Fresno St's schedule this year, then I don't know what to tell you.

That didn't happen because UCF is a G5 team, it happened because they played a weak schedule.

Fresno St could have made it to the playoffs this year if they had went undefeated on their schedule. But for some reason, whenever a G5 team plays a schedule of enough quality to make the playoffs.....they don't go undefeated.

:think:

UCF Strength of Schedule: 72
Fresno State Strength of Schedule: 84

And, Fresno States Strength of Schedule would be even worse if they were undefeated. UCFs game with GT got canceled as well.

The best Group of Five strength of Schedule was Navy at 67. Wonder if UCF would’ve jumped up 5 spots if they had played Georgia Tech, or if navy would’ve dropped five spots if they went undefeated?

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And, Fresno States Strength of Schedule would be even worse if they were undefeated. UCFs game with GT got canceled as well.

The best Group of Five strength of Schedule was Navy at 67. Wonder if UCF would’ve jumped up 5 spots if they had played Georgia Tech, or if navy would’ve dropped five spots if they went undefeated?

Just a note...But Fresno's S.o.S. wouldn't be worse if they had been undefeated. Not when looking at
Fresno State individually.

If you compare any Fresno Opponent to Fresno. The result of their game with Fresno would be subtracted
from their composite total. In actuality, Fresno's S.o.S. would have improved.

That's how it is computed.

We see the overall S.o.S. but if we were to judge Fresno State's S.o.S. then the results of their
games against their opponents would not be computed in.

An example for computing wins and losses...Using Alabama as the example.
Their FBS opponents compiled a combined Won/Lost Record of 90-65 .581 (Not
including Georgia)

But if looking at Alabama as a lone entity...Their Opponents combined Won/Lost record
is 88-53 .624.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actual Sos:

Fresno St #33
UCF: #109

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But a Clemson team that we just throttled is ok for you....gotcha.

As for our OOC slate next year, Arkansas State and ULL are every bit as good as Western Kentucky, BYU or New Mexico. We also have Louisville to counter The Citadel. A month long January Avi bet says our SOS next year is higher than Wisconsin.

As for Alabama always getting in...that is the benefit of winning 4 of the last 8...when Wisconsin wins 4 of 8(LOL), I'm sure they will reap the same benefit. and lol at your assertion that 3 undefeated conference champions would be left out to let us in....all you had to do was win this year to prove that one false. Thanks, BTW.
Stop with the Louisville counters The Citadel. And since when do current teams have to play against teams from eight years ago. Any of the top ten teams maybe even the top twelve could win and any "given game against another top twelve even 12 vs 1.
Alabama did not win its' division let alone it conference. While all the Alabama defenders know that, it slips their collective memory. And the concept of best team is bogus also. Even if Alabama had lost 2 games they still might be the best team of the 4 playoff teams, but would they still deserve to be in the playoff, oh wait I have weigh in the success of team that played 8 years ago.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's somewhere in the middle. I don't think they should get an automatic berth every year even if it's expanded to 8 teams in the playoffs. Because there is definitely not a worthy G5 team every single year. I do, however think they should make it easier to give them at least some sort of chance at least.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop with the Louisville counters The Citadel. And since when do current teams have to play against teams from eight years ago. Any of the top ten teams maybe even the top twelve could win and any "given game against another top twelve even 12 vs 1.
Alabama did not win its' division let alone it conference. While all the Alabama defenders know that, it slips their collective memory. And the concept of best team is bogus also. Even if Alabama had lost 2 games they still might be the best team of the 4 playoff teams, but would they still deserve to be in the playoff, oh wait I have weigh in the success of team that played 8 years ago.

The playoffs were designed specifically to allow 2 teams from the same conference and even the same division to get in as they were a response to 2011 when it should have been LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma St and some team that would have gotten the extra spot like Alabama did that year.

So your statement that Alabama didn't win it's division or conference is 100% meaningless to the playoffs, outside the fact that the extra game/data point is usually helpful for making a case.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playoffs were designed specifically to allow 2 teams from the same conference and even the same division to get in as they were a response to 2011 when it should have been LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma St and some team that would have gotten the extra spot like Alabama did that year.

So your statement that Alabama didn't win it's division or conference is 100% meaningless to the playoffs, outside the fact that the extra game/data point is usually helpful for making a case.

You keep saying that winning your conference or even your division isn't to be considered, but it is. It's #1 in the list of protocol.
selection committee protocol

Screenshot_2018-01-08-10-09-20.jpg

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell, it's possible, though highly improbable, that the best 14 teams all come from one conference.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep saying that winning your conference or even your division isn't to be considered, but it is. It's #1 in the list of protocol.
selection committee protocol

View attachment 172349

I see nothing that says conference championships are a requirement or that it erases the rest of the season as you make it out to be. And it certainly has nothing that suggests it's "#1" and has more importance than anything else.

But - It is obviously a bonus and an accomplishment in itself because it generally requires beating quality teams and the championship game itself is an extra quality datapoint.

Which is why only 2 out of the 16(12%) playoffs spots thus far have come to a team that didn't win a championship.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actual Sos:

Fresno St #33
UCF: #109

I'm not concerned about a random sos measure from a computer. I'm going off of the SOS that ESPN/the Committee use.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see nothing that says conference championships are a requirement or that it erases the rest of the season as you make it out to be. And it certainly has nothing that suggests it's "#1" and has more importance than anything else.

But - It is obviously a bonus and an accomplishment in itself because it generally requires beating quality teams and the championship game itself is an extra quality datapoint.

Which is why only 2 out of the 16(12%) playoffs spots thus far have come to a team that didn't win a championship.

They are listed first and emphasized (more than once) in the protocol.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are listed first and emphasized (more than once) in the protocol.

What is emphasized more than anything and is specifically stated as the goal is "4 best teams".

As for how that is determined, something has to be listed first and it's wrong to assume there is meaning to the order unless specified.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I thought it was Sagarin they listed. Still, closer than that junk you posted about 102 and 33

I can't find Fresno St on there.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the point of this link is exactly.

But in their rankings at the bottom, they have UCF #10 and their SoS is #103.

If that's all you looked at, then that was the point of the link.

tenor.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 0.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in favor of this for a long time. The problem is, it would cut down on the amount of bowl games by a lot.

Actually, that may not be a problem...there are quite a few lousy bowl game matchups. And we'd still have football, since the G5 teams would most likely be having a 16 or even 32-team playoff like FCS currently does