• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why I say "no" to autobids for an 8-team format

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did some statistically digging this morning and look at the last 21 college football seasons. Basically ever since the BCS started in 1998. I looked at the AP polls. What did I find?

In 21 years/seasons and 120 major conference championships handed out, only 24 power conference champions failed to make the top 8, per AP or 20%. That's right. 80% of the time a power conference champion will sneak into the top 8.

What if we lowered the bar a little bit, and say top 12, giving conference champions a 4 spot margin of error? Then it is 15/120 or 13%.

Ever since the Big East fell apart in 2012, only ONE power conference champion has failed to make the top 8, and that is, Washington in 2018. They were ranked 9th.

So I thought to myself, why do some people want all the power conference champions in? If the argument is "well in the NFL or FCS, the rule is win your conference/division and you're in", why can't FBS do the same? If we go down that route, then we should move to 16 teams, get rid of the CC games, and have a 10+6 system. Neither the NFL or FCS picks out certain conferences or divisions into the playoff. They take ALL.

Even if we put in the 4 spot bummer zone and say "power conference champions" (and 1 G5) are in, if ranked in the top 12, you're basically pretty much guaranteeing that a popular, big money conference champion gets a shot at the National Championship game.

Lets look at some same seasons, and see what I am talking about:

2018 - You would either put in #8 Michigan (per AP) or #9 Washington. Michigan played the better schedule and only lost to two teams in the top 6 on the road. Washington had three losses on the season.

2012 - The AP had Notre Dame, Alabama (SEC), Florida, Oregon, Georgia, K-State (Big-12), Stanford (Pac-12), and LSU in the top 8. Outside of that, you would have #12 Florida State, #21 Louisville, and unranked Wisconsin. You also have #15 NIU as the "best" G5 team.

I think it's perfectly fair to argue for FSU getting that margin of error bounce and getting in over LSU. Now, here's where it gets ridiculous. Lets say we treat Louisville as a G5 team. We would then replace Georgia with 8-5 Wisconsin. If we went by "best G5 gets in," then NIU substitutes for 11-1 Oregon.

So in 2018, I don't think Michigan or Washington fans would be upset if they got left out. The Huskies can blame the failure to close out against Cal, Auburn, and Oregon. Wolverine fans can point out that they failed to beat Ohio State and secure that Big-10 conference championship appearance against Northwestern. But in 2012, the auto system would completely mess up the bracket. Ditto for the 2009 season.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 8 is voted on and subjective. Teams should have the chance to control their destiny instead of having a group of people do it for them.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 8 is voted on and subjective. Teams should have the chance to control their destiny instead of having a group of people do it for them.

The above is your correct answer.

A playoff is a process of elimination.

The Conf Champion eliminates all the teams in their league.

The playoff between the conf champs determines the NC.

The problem with the OP is he is too worried about finding
out who is the real Number #2 in America. A playoff is designed
to only give you the true #1. *That's all that matters

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Conf Champion eliminates all the teams in their league.

FBS has 10 conferences, not 5. Autos for power conference champions leaves out 5 conference champions, and puts the possible 6th CC in the hands of subjective hands.

That's the logical problem here. If FBS only had 5 conferences, I would be all for autobids. But that's not the reality.

Now if you want to go toward 16 teams and give autos to all conference champions/leaders, then that's fine.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My takeaway from the OP was "treat Louisville as a G5 team."

You have my support.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FBS has 10 conferences, not 5. Autos for power conference champions leaves out 5 conference champions, and puts the possible 6th CC in the hands of subjective hands.

That's the logical problem here. If FBS only had 5 conferences, I would be all for autobids. But that's not the reality.

Now if you want to go toward 16 teams and give autos to all conference champions/leaders, then that's fine.
The FBS does have only 5 conferences. Actually there aren't really even 5 FULL conferences.

The other 5 are kind of like the lower echelon of the P5s...just along for the ride.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can do it with 10 leagues...very easily.