• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UCF Claiming a Natty is tradition ...

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF not the first school to call itself national champion

t celebrates after UCF defeated Auburn to finish a 13-0 season. Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
11:13 PM ET
  • i

Adam RittenbergESPN Staff Writer

Someone check college football's outrage meter. This can't be right.

As the all-SEC national championship game approaches, and with it the chance to claim all the Southern fried bragging rights, the sport's arrows are pointed toward ... UCF?

Whether it's the new Twitter name (2017 National Champions), the banner to be raised, the parade to be held or the bonuses to be paid to coaches now working for Nebraska, UCF has gone all in on its national championship campaign. From the moment Scott Frost went off on the CFP system after UCF completed a perfect 13-0 season, the reaction has been sharp and swift, as many have gone out of their way to discredit UCF's title claim. Plenty of charged words have been used to describe what UCF is doing.

Here's another word: tradition.

It's a proud tradition for college programs to claim national championships, even if virtually no one outside of their campuses acknowledges them. The sport's history books are filled with teams writing their own chapters.

Odds are, those eviscerating UCF root for a team that claims a questionable championship or four. Good luck finding a sport with more haziness surrounding its national championship. The Knights are merely the latest to crown themselves.

Is their title any less legitimate than the one claimed by Alabama in 1941? The Tide went 9-2 and finished third in the SEC and ranked No. 20 in the final AP poll, which was compiled before the bowl games. Even though Minnesota is the acknowledged national champion that season, Alabama claims a title because something called the Houlgate System selected the Tide as the top team.

Alabama is the worst violator of the we're-champs-cause-we-said-so tradition. The Tide claim 16 national titles, but the NCAA only acknowledges 14. Both Alabama and Notre Dame claim the 1973 national title, but the UPI Coaches' Poll awarded its title to the Tide before the Sugar Bowl, where they lost to, yep, Notre Dame. The next year, the poll began naming a top team after the postseason.

Imagine that.

Alabama's opponent Monday night, Georgia, claims the national title in 1942, even though Ohio State finished No. 1 in the final pre-bowl AP poll and earned the title from most of the awarding outlets. Georgia has two claimed championships and three unclaimed.

Claiming titles isn't only a practice of the distant past. Nick Saban won his first national title when his LSU team beat Oklahoma in the BCS championship game after the 2003 season. But don't tell that to USC. The Trojans claim a national title that year after being voted No. 1 in the final AP poll.

Months after that final bowl, USC became a national champion again, without even playing a down. That's because the school began claiming the 1939 national title after conducting "significant research," then-athletic director Mike Garrett said at the time. Although Texas A&M had topped most of the final polls, taken before the bowl season, USC's Rose Bowl win over Tennessee, which hadn't allowed a single point all season, gave the Trojans the nod from the Dickinson system, a formula conceived by a University of Illinois economics professor that awarded the national title from 1926 to 1940.

Give UCF credit for this: At least the school didn't waste any time staking its title claim. In August 2012, Minnesota announced it had won a seventh national title, only 108 years after the fact. Minnesota claimed the 1904 title after an athletic department staffer realized the NCAA acknowledged the Gophers as champs that year, even though the university had not.

The NCAA also lists Michigan and Penn as national champions for 1904, and the debate between them comes down to, you guessed it, scheduling. Even though Minnesota opened its season against Twin Cities Central High School, played both Dakotas and another high school, and didn't leave its home field until Nov. 12, the Gophers' schedule strength trumped Michigan's. Minnesota beat Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa down the stretch, while Penn didn't allow a single point.

If UCF needs help for its potentially anticlimactic banner-raising ceremony, it should call Oklahoma State, which unveiled the 1945 national championship sign at Boone Pickens Stadium in July. A panel of coaches from the American Football Coaches Association had awarded the 1945 title to the Oklahoma A&M Aggies, who became the Cowboys of Oklahoma State in the 1950s.

Confused? You're not alone.

Go ahead and rage against UCF if you'd like. Call the Knights' championship celebration fake or petty or annoying. Don't pretend like this is unprecedented.

So raise the banner, UCF. Hold the parade. Pay the coaches.

In college football, claiming titles is a tradition unlike any other.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost quit reading when it started pretending the NCAA recognizes less championships than Alabama claims.

But what did me in was when he tried to play it off as if Alabama was the only team to lose their bowl game after a championship was awarded after a poll. There were more than a few teams that did this in fact, it just's for some reason a problem when Alabama does it.

Finally, although 41 is kind of dumb for Alabama to claim, there is at least an actual selector who awarded that national championship. Dumb to claim math polls beyond 1936, but whatever - plenty of valid ones.

There is no selector for UCF to claim, and it's 80 years later in the playoff era.

In short, the author of the OP is obviously biased. Worse part - he's lazy as this is just a rehash of the many times people write this story about Alabama. The funny thing - many schools are actually worse, but all anyone cares about is "Alabama".

So hate on haters, you still ain't winning shit.

cry_baby_trophy.jpg

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost quit reading when it started pretending the NCAA recognizes less championships than Alabama claims.

But what did me in was when he tried to play it off as if Alabama was the only team to lose their bowl game after a championship was awarded after a poll. There were more than a few teams that did this in fact, it just's for some reason a problem when Alabama does it.

Finally, although 41 is kind of dumb for Alabama to claim, there is at least an actual selector who awarded that national championship. Dumb to claim math polls beyond 1936, but whatever - plenty of valid ones.

There is no selector for UCF to claim, and it's 80 years later in the playoff era.

In short, the author of the OP is obviously biased. Worse part - he's lazy as this is just a rehash of the many times people write this story about Alabama. The funny thing - many schools are actually worse, but all anyone cares about is "Alabama".

cry_baby_trophy.jpg

Alabama and Georgia are the worst offenders ... they are my rivals:D:D:D

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pre bowl AP poll titles were ridiculous. Those were the ways of the days though I guess.

Ohio State can have the AP title in 1942, we'll just take the consensus. 11-1 with a Rose Bowl victory, a Heisman winner and two future first overall NFL draft picks(Charley Trippi is still kicking BTW)>>>9-1 with no bowl and wins over Fort Knox Army Squad and Iowa Pre Flight

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we have 3 unclaimed titles?

Claim those bastards, Georgia.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a couple that our administration will not claim either.

I did some research.

The 27 team might have had a legit claim if they didn't lose to Georgia Tech, in 1968 they lost the Sugar Bowl, so that's out.

1946 they have a case. 11-0, Sugar Bowl win, but finished behind both Notre Dame and Army, who were 8-0-1 and 9-0-1 respectively with the tie coming to each other. Yankee football bias back then though, so it's understandable.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care. It's still funny. They're having a parade at Disney World! They've paid their coaches natty bonuses! They're selling official natty t-shirts. :pound:

26165761_1508084252562909_7753149915406353285_n.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did some research.

The 27 team might have had a legit claim if they didn't lose to Georgia Tech, in 1968 they lost the Sugar Bowl, so that's out.

1946 they have a case. 11-0, Sugar Bowl win, but finished behind both Notre Dame and Army, who were 8-0-1 and 9-0-1 respectively with the tie coming to each other. Yankee football bias back then though, so it's understandable.

Notre Dame loved to tie back in the day.

1966 Alabama was coming off repeat National Championships looking for a 3 peat. Went undefeated, finished #3 behind Notre Dame and Michigan St who tied.

Notre Dame did not play in a bowl games back then either.

Alabama still doesn't claim it but could. But you'll never see it mentioned in one of these articles and never an article talking about other peoples similar/worse claims.

Also don't think Alabama deserved to be #1 in the 1941 AP poll. But #20 was bullshit and way worse.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cry_baby_trophy.jpg
Considering the final polls used to be completed before bowl games, it wasn't even uncommon for the national championship to lose their bowl. And that isn't even in the same universe of lame as the level of lame claiming a championship that wasn't awarded to you is.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin won the Helm's Foundation National Title in 1942. We don't claim it.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the final polls used to be completed before bowl games, it wasn't even uncommon for the national championship to lose their bowl. And that isn't even in the same universe of lame as the level of lame claiming a championship that wasn't awarded to you is.

What else can you do when the committee is full of fags and you can't get an invite?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What else can you do when the committee is full of fags and you can't get an invite?

Pretending like the results are someone else's fault?

Where was the big UCF stink before the playoffs?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't deserve an invite, get over it. Or cry about it, seems to be making them feel better. Did you hear they even made shirts? :lol:

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretending like the results are someone else's fault?

Where was the big UCF stink before the playoffs?
But... They beat Auburn... :rolleyes2: