• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should MLB have a pitch clock?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember an ump in a Tiger game calling a ball when opposing pitcher Rafael Betancourt took too long between pitches with no one on. That guy was the worst. You could time the gap between his pitches with a sundial.

I'm in the "umps, just enforce the current rule" camp.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes me sad that some folks are not very knowledgable about the sport that is this countrys stated National Pastime.
Not very knowledgeable? Some of us have more to do with out lives than study obscure rules that are never talked about or enforced.

It's really not that surprising that people wouldn't know about rule 8.04

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive never pitched before but throwing a ball at that speed before your ready, cant that hurt a pitcher?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive never pitched before but throwing a ball at that speed before your ready, cant that hurt a pitcher?

Good mechanics, proper conditioning, and all-around good self-care-taking are what keep pitchers from getting hurt.

Pick a pitch and throw. As long as your motion is repeatable, you won't get hurt, speed up rule or no.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I also get that baseball is a slow sport, especially when you talk about the Yankees/Red Sox/Daisuke, but a rule change or addition of a clock is not the way to go. The umpires should take some control and get on the players and/or managers for it. It should be a less formal tactic than a pitch clock and if it gets out of hand after that, I'd say the Ump is given authority to award a ball to the count, the same way they are allowed to issue strikes if they decide a batter could have avoided a hit by pitch better.

The trouble is most umpires are not normal people. Most umpires are spoiled out of control egomaniacs who seek to be the center of attention wherever possible. The less carte blanche they have to make arbitrary judgment calls the better.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember an ump in a Tiger game calling a ball when opposing pitcher Rafael Betancourt took too long between pitches with no one on. That guy was the worst. You could time the gap between his pitches with a sundial.

I'm in the "umps, just enforce the current rule" camp.

Hated that guy. (He got called out on it a couple times that year.).

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love watching baseball it was my first love as a child. But sometimes the time between pitches take forever and gets fucking boring. So I was thinkin would it be possible for the MLB to install a 15 second pitch clock starting as soon as the previous pitch is over, Similar to the NFLs playclock and the NBAs shot clock. And if a teams violates the pitch clock it will have the same rules as a balk any baserunner moves to the next base or if there is no baserunner a ball will be added to the count. It will speed up the game and probably help the ratings.

absolutely YES....maybe not 15 seconds but 20 or 25 would work...players would bitch at first but like all other leagues...they will get used to it and so would the fans...putting it on the umps...hell, everyone wants instant replay to fix their mistakes already...now you want to put it in the umps hands to hand out penalities for delay of game, sure they wouldn't be absolutely consistant on them either...oh crap, take away one area to bitch about to create another.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am the only one who is sad to find so many people not knowning there was already a rule in place. I thought that was common knowledge?

Maybe my knowledge of baseball is just beyond common then?

No whats sad is the damn umpires not enforcing the rule enough for us to know the rule even existed.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Just because you have ADD doesn't mean they should ruin a sport.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would vote "no" on a pitch clock...I need time to go get another beer, food or take a pizz. Why mess with anymore new rules when the game is "near perfect" as it is?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB definitely needs to speed things up if it wants to stay relevant. Youth leagues around the country are dying off and more kids are going to lacrosse for Spring. Part of the reason I think this change is happening is kids these days want action NOW. Baseball is too slow for them.

The sport needs changes, it has potential to be really fun, I use to love watching baseball in the late 90s, but the enjoyment died off as I got older because it simply took too long.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB definitely needs to speed things up if it wants to stay relevant. Youth leagues around the country are dying off and more kids are going to lacrosse for Spring. Part of the reason I think this change is happening is kids these days want action NOW. Baseball is too slow for them.

The sport needs changes, it has potential to be really fun, I use to love watching baseball in the late 90s, but the enjoyment died off as I got older because it simply took too long.

How much action is there in a football game again?

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you think baseball is losing kids to lacrosse you're nuts. I gotta believe you either play lacrosse or you have a kid who plays. Nothing against lacrosse or soccer becuz the non athletes need a place to go.

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is dying because the values in our culture has dramatically changed. I don't want to get into a deep-rooted, psychological conversation but our culture has an infatuation with violence. It may be subconscious but more and more people would rather watch a contest that is essentially organized violence...as opposed to one that is all about coordination, patience, and organization.

Today's generation simply can't relate to baseball and there's sadly not many new Dad's out there with a baseball glove, teaching little Billy how to throw a ball. It's grab a beer and tell Billy the NFL is the television.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you think baseball is losing kids to lacrosse you're nuts. I gotta believe you either play lacrosse or you have a kid who plays. Nothing against lacrosse or soccer becuz the non athletes need a place to go.

:L

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacrosse is big in certain areas of this country but on the national landscape it's still unheard of. I've lived in the South for 4 years now and Lacrosse is unheard of down here.

Now Soccer will be huge for the US in 10 years. Parents don't want their kids playing youth football anymore due to fears of head injuries, baseball we know is losing popularity, hockey is too expensive, and basketball, well...white men can't jump. Seriously though, the MLS is growing and soccer is the perfect sport to put young kids in and let them run. Soccer is an up-tempo game that doesn't involve a 4-year old having to stand in right field with a cap and glove on.