• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should MLB have a pitch clock?

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love watching baseball it was my first love as a child. But sometimes the time between pitches take forever and gets fucking boring. So I was thinkin would it be possible for the MLB to install a 15 second pitch clock starting as soon as the previous pitch is over, Similar to the NFLs playclock and the NBAs shot clock. And if a teams violates the pitch clock it will have the same rules as a balk any baserunner moves to the next base or if there is no baserunner a ball will be added to the count. It will speed up the game and probably help the ratings.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's stupid, a pitcher shouldn't be having to have a distraction on his concentration, by worrying about a pitch clock. Batter's also need to step back from the plate to gather themselves, it would ruin the game. This is not the NBA or NFL.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's stupid, a pitcher shouldn't be having to have a distraction on his concentration, by worrying about a pitch clock. Batter's also need to step back from the plate to gather themselves, it would ruin the game. This is not the NBA or NFL.

I understand where you're coming from I will watch no matter what they do to the game. But when it takes Daisuke Matsuzaka 5 minutes for 1 damn pitch its gets boring.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I also get that baseball is a slow sport, especially when you talk about the Yankees/Red Sox/Daisuke, but a rule change or addition of a clock is not the way to go. The umpires should take some control and get on the players and/or managers for it. It should be a less formal tactic than a pitch clock and if it gets out of hand after that, I'd say the Ump is given authority to award a ball to the count, the same way they are allowed to issue strikes if they decide a batter could have avoided a hit by pitch better.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I also get that baseball is a slow sport, especially when you talk about the Yankees/Red Sox/Daisuke, but a rule change or addition of a clock is not the way to go. The umpires should take some control and get on the players and/or managers for it. It should be a less formal tactic than a pitch clock and if it gets out of hand after that, I'd say the Ump is given authority to award a ball to the count, the same way they are allowed to issue strikes if they decide a batter could have avoided a hit by pitch better.

Agree. I usually don't have the extra 5 hours out of my day to watch a damn baseball game. It starts with the umps taking control.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute!! I think that the time has come for a pitch clock, only the league should institute a reasonable time limit standard between pitches and have the umps issue delay of game warnings. The second resulting in either a balk or walk circumstance. The third resulting in ejection.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution.... Umpires ENFORCE it and don't allow batters and pitchers to wait so long and DON'T allow "time-out" call so late from a hitter...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution.... Umpires ENFORCE it and don't allow batters and pitchers to wait so long and DON'T allow "time-out" call so late from a hitter...

Good call. We do not need an actual clock behind the plate - or anywhere. The umps can count. If a pitcher is waking around, the umpire can point to the mound. If he doesnt toe the rubber in five seconds, call it a ball... Same for the batters. No need to step out of the box after each pitch.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. We do not need an actual clock behind the plate - or anywhere. The umps can count. If a pitcher is waking around, the umpire can point to the mound. If he doesnt toe the rubber in five seconds, call it a ball... Same for the batters. No need to step out of the box after each pitch.

Umpires always "threaten" it but never take action. They need to start and then times will go down

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a couple pitchers that I hope get shelled as I find the little tea party in between pitches to be awfully irritating. Just a couple though....

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely would like to see the game speed up but don't like the idea of a pitch clock. An easy change to implement is, when issuing an intentional walk, just signal to the ump that the batter can take first and be done with it. The traditional 4 lob tosses is a waste of time.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make base stealing a lot easier :) 3 seconds left on the pitch clock, you know he isn't going to toss over to first or even look your way. I guess you could reset the clock with a toss over, but there is your loophole pitchers would exploit.

I'd rather see rules like other leagues have, I think even MLB minor leagues...speed the batter up. You shouldn't be able to step out, walk around, readjust your gloves, adjust yourself, reset your body armor, then look at the coach for the signs, then do the one-foot-out thing while you dig in, and then finally get set for the pitch. Unless you swung on the previous pitch, you stay in the batters box. No need to adjust your gloves if you never swung. If you step out of the box on a pitch you didn't swing at, it's a strike.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just enforce this and games will be 20min shorter.

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

Yup, the rules are already on the books, just actually use them. There's also a rule for the batter to get back into the box within 9 seconds after the previous pitch, I believe, or else he receives a strike. That rule is also not enforced.

When runners are on base, though, there can be no such timing on the pitcher. The hitter should still have to get back in the box quickly, but the pitcher needs to be able to vary his time to the plate, even to the extreme, in order to facilitate holding the runner. Putting a time on the pitcher with runners on will give the baserunners a massive edge.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the enforcement right now is just a bark from the umpire at the very best. No bite at all.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am the only one who is sad to find so many people not knowning there was already a rule in place. I thought that was common knowledge?

Maybe my knowledge of baseball is just beyond common then?

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Broadcasters should start putting a 12 second clock on the screen and see which pitchers are the worst for it. I get the feeling if they did that umpires might start enforcing the rule.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enforce the rules more in college. The SEC puts a clock up.

At the very least, TBS, ESPN and FSN need to put a clock up for the viewers just to put pressure on the pitchers

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make base stealing a lot easier :) 3 seconds left on the pitch clock, you know he isn't going to toss over to first or even look your way. I guess you could reset the clock with a toss over, but there is your loophole pitchers would exploit.

I'd rather see rules like other leagues have, I think even MLB minor leagues...speed the batter up. You shouldn't be able to step out, walk around, readjust your gloves, adjust yourself, reset your body armor, then look at the coach for the signs, then do the one-foot-out thing while you dig in, and then finally get set for the pitch. Unless you swung on the previous pitch, you stay in the batters box. No need to adjust your gloves if you never swung. If you step out of the box on a pitch you didn't swing at, it's a strike.

What about avoiding an inside pitch? Or just moving with and following the pitch in general? Those things don't require a 5 minute break, but do you really want to lay a strike on a batter because he leaned in on a sweeping outside curveball and stepped the wrong way a little bit and needs to reset his feet?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am the only one who is sad to find so many people not knowning there was already a rule in place. I thought that was common knowledge?

Maybe my knowledge of baseball is just beyond common then?

That makes you sad?