• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Share your thoughts on the new Windows 10

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the consensus is a thumbs up for Windows 10 and a "wait and see" approach with Edge?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the consensus is a thumbs up for Windows 10 and a "wait and see" approach with Edge?
It's mostly a thumbs up to gamers. More or less.

I probably have to give edge more of a chance, but there are a few sites where it is annoying as hell and it lacks plugins and other features that will leave it an non option if not resolved at some point. I do believe they are working on those things though.

I will install it at work probably next week at least on a lab machine and really try to push it on business stuff, but I don't expect to find anything as a draw back from those tests. It appears to be stable and fast.

I did leave out that I had to manually go get my video driver since the one MS installed basically crashed my games. But as soon as I had the latest nVidia driver manually installed and rebooted everything was fine. That's really the only tweak I had to do at all to get my machine up after the upgrade. Only program I've found that isn't working is sandboxie and that's not a big deal. I'm sure there are others out there.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Windows 10: How to skip the line and claim your free upgrade right now | PCWorld

Also note this from the article, may explain some licensing issues:

The secret sauce lies in Microsoft’s new Windows 10 Media Creation tool, which allows you to burn the operating system’s install media to a DVD or USB drive with at least 4GB of storage space. (It lets you create Windows 10 ISO files, too, though you’ll want to do an upgrade-in-place first to avoid potential license authentication issues.)

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only other folks who will obviously have need to get on board with this early are those who also are picking up other Windows 10 enabled devices like phones, laptops, surface, etc and want to take advantage of their continuum features that let you pick up where you left off from device to device.

Can't imagine there are many of those yet, but who knows.

I do like their total file unification so that all new apps from here forward will work on any windows 10 device. No more special versions for special devices. Still not a reason to upgrade right now.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multimedia - it handled every codec I threw at it.

The interface did seem faster than Windows 7 by my seat-o-the-pants meter... and I had fresh installs of both 7 & 10 running.

Better support for hardware, which I would expect with a new Windows kernel on a 3 year old machine.

Looks like much of the same when it comes down to it. Lack of choices and flexibility seems to be an ongoing a trend.

Overall, I think Microsoft is transitioning into becoming an information broker by the look of things. I am so glad that this is not my main operating system. I put very little personal info on Windows and privacy concerns are an issue with this release IMO.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I think Microsoft is transitioning into becoming an information broker by the look of things. I am so glad that this is not my main operating system. I put very little personal info on Windows and privacy concerns are an issue with this release IMO.

And this is why I choose not to login with a Microsoft account but a local machine account. Sure I don't get the live tiles and such but then again the web browsers are just one click away and most of the sites have all the news and stuff you need anyway. At least it isn't like Apple where you have to have an iTunes account just to use the damn iPad...

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to skip the cloning software for now - I would have to punch a hole in my Samba setup. Checked Clonezilla, Bacula, Amanda, and a half dozen more that work on linux. More trouble than it's worth just setting it up in my scenario. I did a manual system image using windows 10 on a fresh install to the D: drive and transferred it manually across the network - to another storage drive.

I would sign in to onedrive if it offered enough space to store it. Speaking of which - one drive looks to be nothing but a massive security breach waiting to happen, depending on your choices - recommend disabling it on startup. You can still use it, but I wouldn't leave it running in the background (signed in).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to skip the cloning software for now - I would have to punch a hole in my Samba setup. Checked Clonezilla, Bacula, Amanda, and a half dozen more that work on linux. More trouble than it's worth just setting it up in my scenario. I did a manual system image using windows 10 on a fresh install to the D: drive and transferred it manually across the network - to another storage drive.

I would sign in to onedrive if it offered enough space to store it. Speaking of which - one drive looks to be nothing but a massive security breach waiting to happen, depending on your choices - recommend disabling it on startup. You can still use it, but I wouldn't leave it running in the background (signed in).
One drive not secure? Good to know, but a explanation would help.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has options that can be set to allow it to access to files on your computer remotely - through your Live logon.

I set those options to off, wasn't comfortable with it. It is a point of future vulnerability IMO. I usually close off all remote access points, with exception of the private LAN.

Last edited:

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hells bells, that was fast. MS has already rolled out 2 updates to Edge. Fixed the problem of always opening on the primary monitor, it now opens on the monitor you last used it on...

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hell, Edge still loses my saved passwords and user names on sites I tell it to remember...and if you go to Manage Saved Passwords and there is nothing there Edge crashes. :laugh3:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.

From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.

Has a built in keylogger too.

Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,” the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write

Shares the data with advertisers for ads.

All this information doesn’t necessarily remain with just Microsoft. The company says it uses the data collected for three purposes: to provide and improve its services; to send customers personalized promotions; and to display targeted advertising, which sometimes requires the information be shared with third parties.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I stated, you can stop all that by changing to a local login, no need to login with a MS account. But hell, Apple and Google and smart phones have been doing this for years, why the big surprise, or disdain, that MS is getting into the game.

How many do it doesn't really change my opinion on it. I actually don't mind the advertiser stuff as I don't think having ads that may be useful to me instead of random ads that aren't is a bad thing.

The big thing here is it links the information it tracks to your personal contact information rather than being just a random number. Their shit gets hacked, and suddenly people have access to all kinds of information. Where as normally someone would have to hack you, install all this virus stuff, sit on your PC for awhile undetected and then collect that information.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing here is it links the information it tracks to your personal contact information rather than being just a random number. Their shit gets hacked, and suddenly people have access to all kinds of information. Where as normally someone would have to hack you, install all this virus stuff, sit on your PC for awhile undetected and then collect that information.
Not to be picky but the same thing could happen to Google and Apple too. Me thinks people just like to gripe at Microsoft while giving other companies a free pass...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be picky but the same thing could happen to Google and Apple too. Me thinks people just like to gripe at Microsoft while giving other companies a free pass...

Not me, I like Microsoft and hate Apple. I've ranted a few times here about how much worse Apple is in what they do and yet it's Microsoft that gets the bad rap even though they don't do lots of those things.

But I'm not giving any of them free passes.