• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Share your thoughts on the new Windows 10

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we are at D day and the upgrade process has started.

Use this thread to give your first impressions and post any of your likes/dislikes and things that might not be working correctly.

If you have a horror story pass it along.

To those of you brave enough to go for the first launch code, GOOD LUCK!

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. There better be a way to turn off Microsoft account login like Windows 8.1 or I'll stick with Windows 7, I don't want, or need, a manufacturer's account to run my PC, thus my hate for all things iApple too. :D

2. Solitaire will be full of ads (according to a review I read) asking you to upgrade to the premium games. For a game that MS screwed up in 7 (it was never random it played the same games in sequence) MS is full of shit if they think I'll pay them for a card game that has existed since Windows 3.0 (maybe earlier).

3. The search assistant is too tied into Bing for on line searches, should be able to use the search engine I wish. Haven't seen any improvement for local searches, still thinking about installing a different search app if possible to kill Cortana completely.

4. Not sure about virtual desktops, haven't used them that much on Linux even. Multiple monitors seem to be better suited to my work.

5. DirectX 12, don't count on this working unless you have very recent chipsets and video cards.

6. The Edge browser is still not ready for prime time.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it came out on the 29th.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it came out on the 29th.
Yeah, just providing a place for people to discuss it after they get it. Starts tonight at midnight (29th)

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does, for some it may take a little longer. Between computers, tablets, and phones that a lot of folks.

Yeah, just providing a place for people to discuss it after they get it. Starts tonight at midnight (29th)

Oh okay. I think i'm going to give it about a month before I upgrade. It seems like the "older style" screen will be utilized more. On Windows 8 I hate the screen after you hit the Windows button and the apps are garbage. You're better off just going to the actual sites.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I posted in the other thread I received the Windows 10 preliminary install files this morning. Don't know what that means as far as the actual update taking place but some of the install files have already been sent to my PC.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's why I created this thread. If you are getting files it means to me they aren't having any last second changes to the US deployment schedule and we should start to see folks getting this within the next day.

I am signed up myself on this computer. As I said, not a chance in hell I put it on any work machines for a few weeks, but you bet I'll play with it and find the problems at home.

I do believe I read that it will be available on the 29th, but that doesn't mean everyone that signed up will have it by then. It will be deployed over time until everyone that requests it gets served which may take some time.

Also perfectly acceptable to bitch about not getting yours in a reasonable time frame in this thread. Fully expect that to happen too.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder if because I'm on Windows 7 Pro I got them but my brother on Windows 7 Home didn't? We both signed up the same day. Haven't checked with my brother who has Windows 8.1 to find out whether he did or didn't. Perhaps Pro users get the update first... :noidea:

First thing tomorrow morn will be a full backup. :D

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on 8.1 pro here and nothing has come in yet.

It's MS. Not sure they have anything near that level of organization. I mean it would make sense to let pro users go first if they are more worried about pissing off business orientated or higher end users I guess. But look who we are talking about.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on 8.1 pro here and nothing has come in yet.

It's MS. Not sure they have anything near that level of organization. I mean it would make sense to let pro users go first if they are more worried about pissing off business orientated or higher end users I guess. But look who we are talking about.
Maybe they (MS) are still trying to get me back on their good side after I left them in the early 2000s and started supporting/using Linux. :D

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do want to switch to linux so bad. I just get frustrated with the lack of software diversity on it more than anything. Get tired of switching to windows every time I want to play a game or do the many things I can't do on linux so I give up on it again and revisit it a year later or so and repeat.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do want to switch to linux so bad. I just get frustrated with the lack of software diversity on it more than anything. Get tired of switching to windows every time I want to play a game or do the many things I can't do on linux so I give up on it again and revisit it a year later or so and repeat.
Yeah but for basic office and graphics most of it is available with LibreOffice and GIMP. I just hate that sometimes you need a specific Windows file format that isn't supported because of licensing, but MS is supposed to be helping with that now.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I clicked to sign up for the upgrade...tomorrow when I turn on my CPU it should be windows 10?

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I clicked to sign up for the upgrade...tomorrow when I turn on my CPU it should be windows 10?
Most likely, no. You'll probably get a notification when it is available and if what is being said is true it may be 3-4 days after tomorrow...and then you will do the upgrade. It doesn't happen by itself.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, uh no.

At best it will DL and you will get a message asking if you want to upgrade, but since you just signed up for it I wouldn't hold my breath that happens this week.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure how I feel about a OS change via download...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure they know how to feel about it either. Anyone who does so without having backups of anything they care about (at the very least) is really taking their own chances.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of defeats the purpose for me Kansas. I really can't stand MS and their business practices nor their lack of security among a laundry list of complaints. I'd really love to nuke their crap and never look back. I just keep being forced to.

There are a lot of things that make me want to go postal on them. Take a couple of weeks ago when I was setting up a 2012 standard box and went to turn on distributed file system. Clean server out of the box with wizard setup of the feature and it didn't work. Why? Their firewall. Look it up and it STILL REQUIRES you go through a bunch of steps that basically blow security wide open (and require registry hacks) to make it work with the firewall on at all. I mean really? You think maybe, just maybe you can have a talk with your firewall team and have them make a little bit of code to fix that? I expect to have to tinker with linux, but if we are paying over a grand for shit it should work in a default setting without that BS.