• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Has anyone told Trump most of Apple's stuff is made in... nah... okay, let it be a fun surprise.

That's cool though, the guy ruining America and the guy ruining one of America's best companies should have some common ground.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if any of you have read "I'll be Gone in the Dark" but...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...se-ex-cop-arrested-serial-murder-r*pe-n868936

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUILD THE WALL! BUILD THE WALL!

giphy.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Kenny, despite Trump and some of the stuff going on in America, it still has plenty of appeal for a lot of people. I'm a proud Canadian and I love this country, but it's getting damn expensive to live here and I feel I'm compensated quite well. I can't complain too much because there are a lot of people struggling just to keep a roof over their heads.
What I’ve always told myself is I’d get paid less for the work I do right now if I lived in the US and combine that with the fact I’d be living away from all my close family and friends, there isn’t much benefit besides weather (which might be nearing the tipping point for me anyway).

But I don’t think Trump is turning off many people other than some in the tech community who are actually fearful that it may never become easy again for them to enter and permanently habituate in the US. The US is still a safe, wealthy, happy country with incredible cities, safe suburbs, a rich culture and good hockey teams built with plundered Canadian talent. That's appealing to basically everybody.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I’ve always told myself is I’d get paid less for the work I do right now if I lived in the US and combine that with the fact I’d be living away from all my close family and friends, there isn’t much benefit besides weather (which might be nearing the tipping point for me anyway).

But I don’t think Trump is turning off many people other than some in the tech community who are actually fearful that it may never become easy again for them to enter and permanently habituate in the US. The US is still a safe, wealthy, happy country with incredible cities, safe suburbs, a rich culture and good hockey teams built with plundered Canadian talent. That's appealing to basically everybody.
That part left me scratching my head a bit. Speaking as an American, I don't feel like we have a strong American culture. Most of what I would consider American culture is either negative or something we've bastardized from another country and its culture.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was mostly in jest but most of what you say is correct. Safe is relative I guess. For an immigrant coming into the States with not much capital the States is safe compared to Syria but for lower class Americans/immigrants it sure ain't safe compared to Canada, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc..

#shitholecountry?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part left me scratching my head a bit. Speaking as an American, I don't feel like we have a strong American culture. Most of what I would consider American culture is either negative or something we've bastardized from another country and its culture.
American cinema, music, technology and dedication to the freedom of all peoples are some pretty significant cultural cornerstones that have provided a shit ton towards the lives we all get to enjoy today. Many of my favourite foods originated in the US. Your sports can attract hundreds of thousands and shut down entire states for days at a time. The national park system was the earliest and most significant attempt to preserve the beauty of the world. Your president once taught me that a lot of fun can be had with cigars and interns.

Even if parts of this are indeed “bastardized”, that above all points to America’s greatest contribution to the global fabric – multiculturalism and everything that goes along with it. That’s not a bad thing. What’s happening now happens pretty much everywhere this becomes an issue. It’s not unique to America and it doesn’t make it a horrible place. It just happens to be the largest venue for such a debate which obviously generates the most publicity. Things will change again, and again, and forever more until we’re all a bunch of non-binary slaves to our robot overlords (whom I for one welcome graciously).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but for lower class Americans/immigrants it sure ain't safe compared to Canada, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc..

#shitholecountry?
I dunno, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be an immigrant trying to make it work in the EU right now. First you gotta take a boat where you probably have a 50/50 chance of surviving at best, then you're penned into a detainment centre like in Scarface, then they fight over which country doesn't want you the least and then they send you there to live in a banlieu or a caravan park or Germany.

In Australia they're even worse - they were deporting refugees to the US!

Even here, the only reason immigrants seem happier is because the gov't tries to send them to Saskatchewan or Thunder Bay and then the first chance they get they run off to Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver and pack into a small house with 40 relatives and overload our services. It's great that they're safe and with people they know but we are not equipped at all to handle it and the cracks have been showing for quite a while now.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the next 3-5 years it's going to be far more lucrative and steady in my line of work to be in Europe somewhere at the current rate.

Tech security and privacy will be a dead industry before we know it.

I was talking with someone who grew up in Sweden and he said he always liked American Culture growing up. I asked him which one.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the next 3-5 years it's going to be far more lucrative and steady in my line of work to be in Europe somewhere at the current rate.

Tech security and privacy will be a dead industry before we know it.
Even in Europe, until Brexit is settled everything's in flux. It's no better than the current situation in the US and at least in the US you know there will be changes in either 2 or 6 years, even sooner if congress splits.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, the Americans have definitely closed the gap on Zamboni technology - How long until we start seeing mayonnaise on everything south of the 49th?

Status
Not open for further replies.