• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seattle Seahawks @ Atlanta Falcons (Divisional Round)

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As requested:

Positives:

Thomas Rawls -
Thomas Rawls was the key to the win against Detroit. His 161 rushing yards enabled the Seahawks offense to have the ball for over 36 minutes of time of possession. The formula to beat Atlanta is the same as it is to beat Detroit - keep the ball away from the Falcon's offense. The run defense in Atlanta is atrocious, and the Seahawks HAVE to take advantage of that early and often. Rawls (and possibly Prosise) will be key in trying to once again dominate time of possession against a high flying passing offense.

Russell Wilson - This season the team has gone the way that Russell Wilson has gone. He's had his well documented ups and downs, but this is the time of year where he needs to perform. His 119.3 QB rating last Saturday was key in the win, and he'll need to do it again. Atlanta may sell all out to stop Rawls and the run, so Wilson will need to make them play honest. If he can make them respect the pass (which he should be able to) then this game could be a huge positive for the offense.

Cliff Avril - Avril has been a disruptive force this season on the defensive line - but this line tends to be all or nothing at times. Pressure on Matt Ryan will be key this game. There are just too many weapons on the Falcons offense to give Ryan 5 seconds + to throw the ball. It didn't hurt the Seahawks nearly as much as it should have against Detroit - but the 3 sacks they had seemed to be the only times they pressured Stafford on his 35 drop backs. If that happens with Ryan - look for the Falcons to have over 300 yards instead of just 182.

Negatives:

Julio Jones -
Jones killed the Hawks the last time these two teams played (7-139-1) and look for the Falcons to make him a focal point of the offense again. He had his 4th straight year where he averaged 100 yards receiving per game this season, and the Hawks are going to find that shutting him down will go a long way to winning this game.

RB Duo - 2482 yards from scrimmage and 24 touchdowns, that's what Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman did this year for the Falcons and 40% of the #1 offense's output. They love to use both these guys, and they are both deadly. Seattle did a good job containing them last time (67 yard of offense on 20 touches), and they'll have to do it again. They have to make the Falcon's offense one dimensional - not because facing the passing game is a walk in the park - but because facing that passing game is a nightmare if you also have to worry about that running game.

Matt Ryan - Matt Ryan has been unreal this season, completing just shy of 70% of his passes and a 117.1 rating. He has the weapons to hurt you if you give him the time to throw, and he can make it a very long day for a defense. The Seahawks have to take his run game away, as well as put consistent pressure on him all game. Make sure he has a Hawk in his face on every drop back. Don't give the Falcons time to run complicated and/or deep routes. Make him check down and limit the yard after catch. This has been our strategy on defense for years, and this year we need to make it happen - as Terrell hasn't been bad, but he isn't Earl Thomas.

Matchups:

Gary Gilliam/George Fant vs. Vic Beasley -
Our struggles at tackle have been well documented this entire season, and a lot of the criticism has been warranted. Beasley led the NFL in sacks this season, and it'll be a chore to keep him away from Russell. They failed against Ziggy Ansah last week (who got as many sacks that game as he did in the regular season). The entire line needs to keep the pocket clean for Russell and open holes for Rawls.

DeShawn Shead vs. Mohamed Sanu - Shead has been up and down this season, but it didn't even take til half time for the Hawks to put Sherman on Jones last time. I don't know if Sherman will shadow Jones, but if he does, that means that Shead will have to limit Sanu. Sanu is a pretty good receiver in his own right (no Roddy White in his prime, but still really good). Sanu was the #2 receiver all season long, and if Jones and Sherman battle it out, there could be plenty of opportunity for this matchup to be highlighted.

Paul Richardson vs. Jalen Collins - With Trufant out, Collins has been starting in his place, while Richardson showed a little last week what Seattle needs him to be while Lockett his out. Collins is a more physical corner, but Richardson is fast and athletic. Seattle will need another big day from Richardson, and Collins and co. will have to stop him as well as Baldwin and Graham.

Overview:

In years past, Seattle was built specifically to beat teams like Atlanta, but this season they've struggled more than expected. The injury to Earl Thomas has hurt, but not as much as was feared (at this point) and the defense needs to play better this week than last if they want to give the offense enough time to hurt the Falcons. The offense really needs a repeat performance from last week and if they have the ball 35+ minutes, the team could be in a great position to win the game. This will not be a cake walk. I expect another high scoring game, that is a close game that could come down to whoever has the ball last.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think That Ryan is both a Negatuve and a Postive. Because he has shown that he only has that one level. You need more if you want to be a champ

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few interesting storylines in this game. Matt Ryan's only win in the playoffs was against us in a game we all remember from 4 seasons ago. You have Dan Quinn on the other sideline, and of course all the butthurt over the game from earlier this year in Seattle.

How people can continue to whine and cry about the PI no-call on Sherman when Julio Jones had a blatant hands to face on the very same play is beyond me. This goes right along with all the tools who continue to claim the refs help Seattle win games. In both 2014 and 2015, Seattle's opponents were the least penalized in the league and it wasn't very close, while the Hawks continue to be one of the most penalized.

I think we have a good shot to win if we clamp on their RBs. Matt Ryan is having a great year but I think that's still the center of gravity for them. You couple that with something from our run game that resembles anything close to last week, and we'll be moving on. It will be difficult and certainly not easier than last time without ET, but at least this time we'll have Kam and Frank Clark -- both missed the week 6 game.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to be a knock down drag out slug fest til the bitter end. When we take the lead late, can we hold on to it this time? Can we come out punching and not be down 20 points at half?

We will see

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a weird way I think our chances boil down to someone on the D-line stepping up and having a big game getting TO Ryan if not sacking him. Bennet/Avril would be the likely suspects, but I'm wondering if maybe Clark or Marsh can step up to that next level in the game.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to be a lot of crazy plays going on in this game. I will say if we can run the ball we can beat anyone, when we get into this mode where we have to pass every down thats when the trouble starts. If you can run the ball you can have an all star QB and WR duo if you control the clock and minimize their opportunities to score its useless. The pressure is on Atlanta in this game if they choke I think there will be a ton of backlash in that city.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to be a lot of crazy plays going on in this game. I will say if we can run the ball we can beat anyone, when we get into this mode where we have to pass every down thats when the trouble starts. If you can run the ball you can have an all star QB and WR duo if you control the clock and minimize their opportunities to score its useless. The pressure is on Atlanta in this game if they choke I think there will be a ton of backlash in that city.

Will they fire Quinn?:hope:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have him back as our DC

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Seattle maybe a 40% chance to win. I'm not ruling it out by any means, but I'm really not expecting a win. Too many vulnerabilities and too much inconsistent play on both sides of the ball going on the road against a fairly potent offense.

Yes, the lines will be the story. Not just the much maligned offensive line, but also the pass rush or lack there of. Get to Ryan a lot and they have a chance to win, fail to pressure him as they have failed so much of this season and it's going to be a very long day at the office for that defense.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up...

Is Julio Jones 100%? His toe seems to still be an issue for him going at full speed... I believe he was at 100% I the game we played against them earlier in the year... It will be fun to watch him and Sherman going head to head all game, if that is the case...

The WC imo are two players... One, their WR, Gabriel... He seems to have become one of Ryans favorite targets the second half of the season. Lane, Shead will have to be on top of their game because Gabriel is a very good WR... Secondly, Coleman is a stud... He's a great receiving back coming out of the backfield and seems to be another one of Ryan's favorite targets... These two players could be the difference makers in this game if we were to lose... We have to contain and tighten up on those two players...

Ryan has thrown a Touchdown to 13 different players on offense so he definitely spreads the wealth very well...

I'm going to pick the Hawks, 30-27... I love how their underdogs and the line continues to move in ATL's favor... I saw it at 5.5 earlier today... People are putting their money on ATL and Seattle loves to use that as incremental motivation...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed a big positive and negative aspect.

Negative - no Earl Thomas. You can't replace a guy like that. The only way we can offset his loss is by getting pass pressure

Positives -

Michael Bennett - Bennett got knocked out of the game earlier this season and the Falcons offense almost immediately came to life.

Kam Chancellor - We also didn't have Kam for this game. His intimidation is still a factor in any game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed a big positive and negative aspect.

Negative - no Earl Thomas. You can't replace a guy like that. The only way we can offset his loss is by getting pass pressure

Positives -

Michael Bennett - Bennett got knocked out of the game earlier this season and the Falcons offense almost immediately came to life.

Kam Chancellor - We also didn't have Kam for this game. His intimidation is still a factor in any game.
Yeah, being disruptive up front is the best way to make up for no ET. Frank Clark missed last game as well, so having him in there this time is good news. We stuffed their RB combo last time. Similar success there would be great but certainly tough to do.

First matchup in week 6 was really 2 games in 1 -- the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters where we had their offense on lockdown, then the 3rd quarter where they made big play after big play. Obviously we're hoping that 3rd qtr was just an anomaly.

Another aspect no one has mentioned so far is the referee crew. We have Gene Steratore as head referee, who has a rep of letting them play.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can survive the 1st half not down by 3 scores I think we've got a shot, this offense cannot afford to come out sluggish and play the field position game.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can survive the 1st half not down by 3 scores I think we've got a shot, this offense cannot afford to come out sluggish and play the field position game.
Run the football and play good D and things will be fine.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, being disruptive up front is the best way to make up for no ET. Frank Clark missed last game as well, so having him in there this time is good news. We stuffed their RB combo last time. Similar success there would be great but certainly tough to do.

Agreed, we lost Bennett as well 43 snaps into the game... Not having Clark and Bennett for that game was tough to make up the difference... It's nice to be at full tilt going into this game so now our depth will hopefully come into play in the 2nd half...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for Fun:

Russell Wilson: 22/34 /289 yds/2 TD/1 INT

T.Rawls: 20/95 yds/ 1 TD

D. Baldwin: 9/105/1 TD

J. Graham: 6/75/1

Defense: 425 yards / 3 sacks / 1 TO

Seahawks 27 Falcons 24

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up...

Is Julio Jones 100%? His toe seems to still be an issue for him going at full speed... I believe he was at 100% I the game we played against them earlier in the year... It will be fun to watch him and Sherman going head to head all game, if that is the case...

The WC imo are two players... One, their WR, Gabriel... He seems to have become one of Ryans favorite targets the second half of the season. Lane, Shead will have to be on top of their game because Gabriel is a very good WR... Secondly, Coleman is a stud... He's a great receiving back coming out of the backfield and seems to be another one of Ryan's favorite targets... These two players could be the difference makers in this game if we were to lose... We have to contain and tighten up on those two players...

Ryan has thrown a Touchdown to 13 different players on offense so he definitely spreads the wealth very well...

I'm going to pick the Hawks, 30-27... I love how their underdogs and the line continues to move in ATL's favor... I saw it at 5.5 earlier today... People are putting their money on ATL and Seattle loves to use that as incremental motivation...

100 percent LOCK Sherman on him, Even if you run a zone let Sherman stay on him in man... Pete Carroll needs to make sure that happens... Even double him sometimes like Green Bay was doing to Beckham ... We cannot afford to make coverage mistakes and hand them easy points, Seattle's D needs to make them earn every dam yard they get... More man less zones, lock it down ...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need the same formula as last week. Solid D, o-line must play well to get the running game going and convert those redzone attempts to TD's. If all this can come together and limit Atlanta's possessions, I think the Hawks win this.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going to be huge... Last 5 postseason games on the road we haven't scored in the 1st quarter... Need to keep ATL off the field buy sustaining some drives in that first half...