• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seahawks vs Rams: 1:05 PST

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G is out for the season... We have our shot... Don't wish injury on anyone... Feel bad for Jimmy G... I like the guy... But it definitely opens things up for us...

But that said. Brock Purdy looked like Joe Montana today

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's game this week vs RW's last 2 games... Geno has more yards and TD passes than RW's last two games...

Geno
View attachment 315775

RW
View attachment 315774
No Problem Thumbs Up GIF

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can win every game from here on out if the defense can keep it together
As my aunt would say.... Dieluca

For the 3rd time. Yes Jimmy G got hurt. But the 3rd string looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

Let's calm our emotions a bit
Is it possible the niners get better with each successive QB injury?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can win every game from here on out if the defense can keep it together

Is it possible the niners get better with each successive QB injury?

Maybe. Some people are off popping bottles of champange............

I'm trying to calm it down

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As my aunt would say.... Dieluca

For the 3rd time. Yes Jimmy G got hurt. But the 3rd string looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

Let's calm our emotions a bit
Emotions? I posted news from the division and nothing more.

We do not have a playoff worthy team. Nothing that happens to the 9'ers will change that.

Even if the hawks get in, there is not much hope of winning games at that level. Not with this horrible defense.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emotions? I posted news from the division and nothing more.

We do not have a playoff worthy team. Nothing that happens to the 9'ers will change that.

Even if the hawks get in, there is not much hope of winning games at that level. Not with this horrible defense.

Emotions might be the wrong word.

What i'm hearing is. "Did you hear? Jimmy G is out for the year. It sucks but let's celebrate"

What i'm saying is. "Cooldown their guy. Their 3rd string looked pretty good"

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1670232007747.png

This is a play that got a couple comments during the game that stood out to me. As the season has gone on I've felt that Barton has taken more abuse than is strictly called for on this forum. He's not having a good year, but he hasn't been as bad as some would have you believe. This play is a good example of Barton getting criticism when it isn't warranted.

Rams ran an fake pitch right, jet sweep left. There are three key players for the outcome of this play. Bruce Irvin, Cody Barton and Jordyn Brooks. First, Irvin should've had outside contain on this play, but for some inexplicable reason he crashes down the line to take on the pulling guard. I can't figure a reason for him to attack this way, as it exposes the outside and he gets swallowed up and taken out of the play completely. Even if this is exactly what his assignment was (doubtful), why does the ILB have outside contain?

Barton rotates over and assumes the role of outside contain and does turn the play back to the middle of the field. Had Irvin maintained outside contain, Barton would've been in the hole, either giving him the opportunity to make the play or forcing Powell further to the right where Brandon Mone was coming off his block and may have had a better attempt at the tackle than he did.

Brooks took the pitch read and the two steps in the wrong direction allowed the center to get in his way effectively removing him from the play without ever having to block him. Had Brooks read the play correctly, he would have been in position to make the tackle. Instead of a 3-4 yard run (at most) Powell ends up with a 16 yard run.

Now, here in the game thread, people were marveling at Barton's ability to take himself out of a play after a play, Barton is the only one I'm positive played his assignment perfectly. The picture is just 1 second after the snap, and Irvin is already out of the play, and Brooks is about to take himself out of the play as well. Barton is the only one reading the play correctly and it really isn't his fault that his inside help ran the other direction.

I'm not saying Barton is having a great year. But it's getting old constantly reading negative posts about the guy, even when he's playing his assignments correctly. 26 posts were easily found in the game thread alone criticizing him. We get it, some posters hate Barton, but could we limit the hatred to just when he actually makes a mistake and not just the fact he's on the field?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't know how impressive it was, but it was good to get a win after 2 really disappointing losses. Some of my main thoughts on the game:
  • Running game and RB situation is starting to remind me of that year ~2016 or so when virtually every player was injured, and the team just couldn't move the ball on the ground at all as we bounced from one free agent to the next. After KW went down yesterday and then also DeeJay Dallas, I truly had no idea who that guy was that was getting most of the touches out of the backfield...and it seemed like way too many.
  • Speaking of that guy (#32?), the "INT" by Bobby... I couldn't hear what the explanation was but I can't believe that stood up. The only way I can see it called that way is if our guy never had possession because they were both on the ground before Bobby got it. Frustrating not to be able to hear what happened there. It looked to me like a catch (after a bobble) by the receiver, down by contact, then Bobby wrestled it away on the ground.
  • The defense just plain needs help up front. I really thought it was going to cause us the game after the 1st quarter. Overall the D played better after a rough start, that was a wounded offense that shouldn't have had that much success.
  • Congrats to Geno, as I believe this is the first time he's come through with a go-ahead or game winning on the final possession. He played pretty well overall, and that final TD pass was in a very tight window with DK covered by one of the best. He was 6/9 for 65 of the final 75 yards on the march to win.
  • Not news, but Woolen is really good. His INT was on a poor decision/throw, but as long as those QBs aren't wise to his closing speed then I guess he'll continue to get those chances.
Interesting from here with 5 games left, and the division leader now dealing with a QB injury. It really makes me kick myself about those losses to TB & LV, but I also think we just aren't quite as good as it appeared when we were 6-3 and maybe the surprise story of the season. The defense is a liability, and we are going to have trouble running the ball (we already were) with a stable of injured runners. Geno Smith fantasy owners are fist pumping though!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emotions might be the wrong word.

What i'm hearing is. "Did you hear? Jimmy G is out for the year. It sucks but let's celebrate"

What i'm saying is. "Cooldown their guy. Their 3rd string looked pretty good"
Is that a reference to me? If so, that is not even close to what I said at all... I said, with his injury, "it opens things up for us"... Not even close to your paraphrasing...

And you said that their backup looked like Joe Montana so I'd calm down a little bit yourself after that comment... ;)

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say there is something up with that field. I see more ankle and knee injuries in that place than any other.
its time for the NFL to make field turf a requirement, grass is fucking bullshit and always leads to injuries and weird shit happening.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thought about the game I neglected to include: golf clap for Bobby. He had a great game yesterday and made me wish he was still on the team (but not at $20M).

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thought about the game I neglected to include: golf clap for Bobby. He had a great game yesterday and made me wish he was still on the team (but not at $20M).
True... It was hard to see him have a great game but didn't want it to be at our expense... Since we won, I was very happy to see him do well... :D

But like you said, not at 20 million because this was easily the best game he's had this year so far so he hasn't been playing at the level all season...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 315784

This is a play that got a couple comments during the game that stood out to me. As the season has gone on I've felt that Barton has taken more abuse than is strictly called for on this forum. He's not having a good year, but he hasn't been as bad as some would have you believe. This play is a good example of Barton getting criticism when it isn't warranted.

Rams ran an fake pitch right, jet sweep left. There are three key players for the outcome of this play. Bruce Irvin, Cody Barton and Jordyn Brooks. First, Irvin should've had outside contain on this play, but for some inexplicable reason he crashes down the line to take on the pulling guard. I can't figure a reason for him to attack this way, as it exposes the outside and he gets swallowed up and taken out of the play completely. Even if this is exactly what his assignment was (doubtful), why does the ILB have outside contain?

Barton rotates over and assumes the role of outside contain and does turn the play back to the middle of the field. Had Irvin maintained outside contain, Barton would've been in the hole, either giving him the opportunity to make the play or forcing Powell further to the right where Brandon Mone was coming off his block and may have had a better attempt at the tackle than he did.

Brooks took the pitch read and the two steps in the wrong direction allowed the center to get in his way effectively removing him from the play without ever having to block him. Had Brooks read the play correctly, he would have been in position to make the tackle. Instead of a 3-4 yard run (at most) Powell ends up with a 16 yard run.

Now, here in the game thread, people were marveling at Barton's ability to take himself out of a play after a play, Barton is the only one I'm positive played his assignment perfectly. The picture is just 1 second after the snap, and Irvin is already out of the play, and Brooks is about to take himself out of the play as well. Barton is the only one reading the play correctly and it really isn't his fault that his inside help ran the other direction.

I'm not saying Barton is having a great year. But it's getting old constantly reading negative posts about the guy, even when he's playing his assignments correctly. 26 posts were easily found in the game thread alone criticizing him. We get it, some posters hate Barton, but could we limit the hatred to just when he actually makes a mistake and not just the fact he's on the field?
That's a nice recap but it's only one play which I believe you make the correct assessment there... I understand if Irvin would've maintained outside containment forcing him to run towards Barton but the issue I have with Barton is how many tackles he misses... Who's to say he would've made the tackle? He was ran over 3x's yesterday and whiffed on 3 tackles as well... One play specific is when Barton hit Akers in the hole and then ran over Cody picking up 6 yards on the play... Barton just gets up and laughs w/ Akers... I'm like, get pissed man... He just pwn'd you... He was not that good yesterday... I'm really happy that he'll be a FA this offseason...

I'm just not sold on the guy and it's hard to watch him play... He seems to always be around the play but not in the play... It just seems like he's taking up space out there w/out really making any impact at his position... Yeah he had the INT at the end but was that a great play? It was vastly under thrown - right to Cody... He didn't have to move...

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that a reference to me? If so, that is not even close to what I said at all... I said, with his injury, "it opens things up for us"... Not even close to your paraphrasing...

And you said that their backup looked like Joe Montana so I'd calm down a little bit yourself after that comment... ;)

Maybe so. But Purdy did a pretty good job and was a decent college qb.

So it might not be a far jump from Jimbo

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True... It was hard to see him have a great game but didn't want it to be at our expense... Since we won, I was very happy to see him do well... :D

But like you said, not at 20 million because this was easily the best game he's had this year so far so he hasn't been playing at the level all season...

Not to mention he was gifted an interception/fumble recovery (whatever you wanna call it) in quite possibly one of the worst calls in NFL history...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a nice recap but it's only one play which I believe you make the correct assessment there... I understand if Irvin would've maintained outside containment forcing him to run towards Barton but the issue I have with Barton is how many tackles he misses... Who's to say he would've made the tackle? He was ran over 3x's yesterday and whiffed on 3 tackles as well... One play specific is when Barton hit Akers in the hole and then ran over Cody picking up 6 yards on the play... Barton just gets up and laughs w/ Akers... I'm like, get pissed man... He just pwn'd you... He was not that good yesterday... I'm really happy that he'll be a FA this offseason...

I'm just not sold on the guy and it's hard to watch him play... He seems to always be around the play but not in the play... It just seems like he's taking up space out there w/out really making any impact at his position... Yeah he had the INT at the end but was that a great play? It was vastly under thrown - right to Cody... He didn't have to move...

Yes, it is only one play. A play that shows that people are willing to blame Barton for the defenses woes even when he's doing everything right. How many other issues is Barton blamed for that really is just the perception of fans wanting a scapegoat and not caring that he's actually doing his job. It's not that I think he's having this awesome season and people just don't appreciate it, it's that the hyperbole has gotten so bad that he's become the entire reason the defense is failing and he's the worst ILB in NFL history.

Now, I've re-watched the game, specifically watching Barton. I don't see what the complaints were for his performance this game. He was constantly where he was supposed to be and despite the assertion that he messed up 6 tackles, I just didn't see that. He had the one missed tackle in first where Diggs hit him instead of the RB (not that it changes Barton was flatfooted, but it didn't help). He had another in the fourth on Powell where he was in the hole and got juked and barely touched him. Otherwise, he played a solid game.

I know the play you're referencing, and I just don't see it as Barton getting run over or that he did a bad job. He hit Akers 2 yards downfield, from the side, slid to his legs and twisted him down. Textbook. I wouldn't call it getting run over, just Akers momentum was heading one way and Barton's hit came from the side so it didn't stop the momentum just pushed it out wider. Yeah, he got an extra 3-4 yards after the hit, I thought the spot was generous, but I'm not gonna bemoan the point too much. Hell, had Jackson actually stuck his hat in there instead of just putting his hands on Akers' back, it should've been stopped at least 2 yards shorter.

Now, honestly, it was a horrible pass at the end. If Barton isn't where he was supposed to be and Brooks gets the pick are we saying that it's nice to get it but Brooks was really gifted the pick? I doubt it. It's only because Barton made the play that people are creating caveats for the accomplishment. It was the same thing when he picked the ball off a few weeks ago. Fans on here are actively rooting for him to fail.

Would I have liked him to make those two plays he missed? Yeah, I would. It's a valid criticism, and his tackling has been suspect at times this year. As for the Rams game, Barton wasn't the reason the team struggled against the run. His play yesterday was on par with Brooks, if not better. As for how he plays going forward, we'll have to see.