• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks used play from Auburn's Gus Malzahn

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the highlights of the game during the Seahawks/Packers last night was the read-option pass play that ended up a 33 yd TD.

Pete Carroll admits they took it right out of Auburn's playbook.

Peter [email protected]. -- 17 minutes into the game. Green Bay led 7-3, and Seattle was driving at the Packer 33. The game was competitive then. It held the promise of the kind of drama we hadn’t seen in the NFL since the Seattle-San Francisco NFC title game last January.

Then offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell of the Seahawks called the kind of play that took some breath out of everyone watching. On a first-and-10 at the Green Bay 33, Wilson lined up in the shotgun, with Marshawn Lynch a sidecar to his left, and what followed is a play I’ve never seen in the pro game. (Maybe it’s been run; I just know I haven’t seen it.) Wilson took the snap, and Lynch immediately extended his arms to take an inside handoff from him, except that the handoff wasn’t forthcoming. Option read, clearly. Wilson took the ball into his gut and sprinted left. We’ve seen this before, Wilson on the edge isolated against a linebacker or safety or corner, trying to beat one man and make a big gain. This time, though, Wilson stopped after two running steps before the line of scrimmage when cornerback Sam Shields came off his man, wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, to play the run. Wilson cocked his arm in a split second and fired the ball to Lockette, 15 yards in the air, and Lockette beat a rookie safety, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, for the 33-yard touchdown.

“That’s the boss right there,” Bevell said in a hallway outside the Seahawks’ locker room after the game. “That’s a Pete idea.”

Pete Carroll did cop to hatching the play. “We’ll go anywhere to find a play,” the Seattle coach said afterward. “And that one—uh, Muschamp at Florida, no … Auburn. They ran it. Give Gus Malzahn credit. That’s a great play. I kept telling them [the offensive staff and players] this summer, ‘It’ll work, it’ll work.’ But it didn’t work all summer.”

The reasons Carroll and Bevell liked the play when they watched Auburn run it last year against Alabama is simple. The read-option assumes the running back or the quarterback will run the ball—the running back if the quarterback sees a hole when he puts the ball in the back’s gut, or the quarterback if he sees traffic and knows he (the quarterback) needs to tuck it down and run. But what if the quarterback, about to get pummeled, pulled it down and just flipped it to the nearest receiver?

“That was a great read by Russell,” said Lockette. “He sees the corner coming up, and so he knows I’m free. It all happens fast, so he’s got to read the play in a split-second.”

“We practiced it a little,” said Bevell. “But it came from college tape. We just thought it fit another dimension off the zone read and could enhance the play.

Keys to the play working:

Wilson has to sell the fake, that he’s going to run, to the defenders on the edge. He does.

Tight end Luke Willson has to execute a seal block on the Green Bay defensive end to prevent him from blowing up the play. He does.

Lynch has to sprint left after not getting the ball and be prepared to protect his quarterback. He does.

Lockette has to beat the safety once he catches the ball. He does.

Bevell has to have the guts to call the play. He does. :suds:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty normal. Contrary to popular opinion, the NFL rarely innovates. Most innovation comes from High School and college. Generally, college innovation is from less talented teams that need to scheme to win

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Bowen, a NFL beat writer does great play analysis. Here is a great breakdown of how the Seahawks run college type plays to perfection at the NFL level.

--Let’s go back to the second quarter to break down how Russell Wilson baited cornerback Sam Shields in the flat off the triple-option (packaged read) to find wide receiver Ricardo Lockette for a 33-yard touchdown.

Personnel: Ace/12 (2WR-2TE-1RB)

Formation: Unit Gun Far

Offensive Concept: Triple-Option (Packaged Play)

Defensive Scheme: Cover 3

3991da7c07f00694b1fa10a6b815e4b7_crop_exact.png

In this option scheme, Wilson can give to Marshawn Lynch on the inside zone, pull the ball on the quarterback keep or throw outside to Lockette (hitch/fade) based on the pre-snap alignment and initial read of the open (weak) side cornerback.

At the mesh point (quarterback-running back exchange), Shields sticks his eyes in the backfield and reads the run. This forces the Packers cornerback to drop Lockette on the vertical stem and step to the line of scrimmage.

76f4ca446917fcc727a0b4026c391a2f_crop_exact.png

Off the mesh-point action, Wilson pulls the ball and gets outside to the edge of the formation. This allows the Seahawks quarterback to read to the open-side flat where Shields is squatting underneath.

And by showing the read-option look, Wilson can hold Shields in the flat while targeting Lockette on the quick 9-route (fade) with no immediate help over the top (free safety removed in the deep middle of the field).

e54d57b73ff3248902559871dd933fd2.gif

Even with Wilson finding Lockette on the 9-route off the option look, the Packers still have a chance here to make a tackle and get the ball-carrier on the ground.

However, look at free safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at the point of attack.

Instead of taking a positive angle to Lockette (and eliminating the distance to the wide receiver), the rookie safety comes to balance too early and settles (stops) his feet in the open field.

Because of the poor technique from Clinton-Dix, the safety now has to lunge at the point of attack and can’t get his head across to make a clean tackle versus the Seahawks wide receiver.

That allows Lockette to create an angle versus the safety and take the ball into the end zone for six points.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Seattle send lineman downfield and not get caught on it?

Because that is how Auburn gets away with it to some degree. The lineman block like it's a run and push forward for the run part, but then the QB throws the ball. The defense ends up confused because all signs point to run, but then the QB doesn't.

I'm guessing that's why the lineman down field rule exists to begin with.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 3 yards in college, 1 yard in pro's. Auburn had 1 lineman 4 and half yards downfield when the pass was thrown and another beyond the 3 yard mark.

SEC says they did not. I do think Seattle could have been called. 1 yard is a bit tougher to pull off

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC says they did not. I do think Seattle could have been called. 1 yard is a bit tougher to pull off

Well Seattle has 1 lineman 4 yards downfield for sure.

You can see they are doing run blocking the entire time and then it's just a throw at the end. I hope the refs wise up to all this crap soon. It's hard to fault a DB for their reactions when the other team is breaking the rules and not getting called on it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well you can watch replays and see where the defenders are more than 3 yards, so I think the SEC was just covering it's ass.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh quit whining about that. remember that obvious not called block in the back? shit happens. get over it

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh quit whining about that. remember that obvious not called block in the back? shit happens. get over it

Nobody is complaining about a game last year. It's over with and if the refs decide a game it's your fault for leaving it up to them.

We are discussing the way the play is run and how they are doing run blocking on a play where they end up passing and how lineman downfield get overlooked and how that gets defenders to bite. Which is also what happened in the Seahawks play.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is complaining about a game last year. It's over with and if the refs decide a game it's your fault for leaving it up to them.

We are discussing the way the play is run and how they are doing run blocking on a play where they end up passing and how lineman downfield get overlooked and how that gets defenders to bite. Which is also what happened in the Seahawks play.

bamabino is definitely passively aggressively whining about last year's tying touchdown. as if alabama didn't have any calls go their way in the 2010 and 2013 games. as you said, refs are an x factor. over an infinite sample size, they even out... but if you catch a few bad breaks at the wrong time, it could cost you a national title. so it isn't much consolation if the breaks you catch elevate you from the papajohns bowl to the music city bowl.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Seattle has 1 lineman 4 yards downfield for sure.

You can see they are doing run blocking the entire time and then it's just a throw at the end. I hope the refs wise up to all this crap soon. It's hard to fault a DB for their reactions when the other team is breaking the rules and not getting called on it.

Actually the DB made a huge error. WR made a free release and he went to cover him. That was his read and he came back on the scramble. I highly doubt he was keying the backside guard

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the DB made a huge error. WR made a free release and he went to cover him. That was his read and he came back on the scramble. I highly doubt he was keying the backside guard

Well I'm not a DB so I can't really say, but it seems like they would no more. :noidea:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
82 was a tightend so not sure the rule applies

there was an O line man touching the 2 yard and 1 yard down field markers with his feet. if it is anything like the QB line of scrimmage rule he is much closer to legal than it looks.

a QB can extend as many yards as he wants past the line of scrimmage as long as a toe or something is still on the line of scrimmage.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
82 was a tightend so not sure the rule applies

there was an O line man touching the 2 yard and 1 yard down field markers with his feet. if it is anything like the QB line of scrimmage rule he is much closer to legal than it looks.

a QB can extend as many yards as he wants past the line of scrimmage as long as a toe or something is still on the line of scrimmage.

#60 is further down than #82.