• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks make statement by romping Saints at home

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks make statement by romping Saints at home

SEATTLE — What a statement.

And when it was over, after the Seattle Seahawks dismantled the team that Sean Payton and Drew Brees represent, they merely walked off the field Monday night like a team expecting a lot more.

That's what the Seahawks wanted to express with their 34-7 romp over the New Orleans Saints.

Never mind the prime-time stage on national TV. Forget the quality opponent and high stakes. It was another day at the raucous home office.

"I mean, we just did what we've been doing, man," cornerback Richard Sherman said. "I don't think we made any statement. We won a game we were supposed to win, and that's how we play, that's how we treat it. Now we're on to the next game. We've got to deal with San Francisco. We didn't think about this game like everybody else did."

The Seahawks (11-1) clinched a playoff berth, but more importantly used the victory to close in on the No. 1 seed for the playoffs that would ensure the NFC road to Super Bowl XLVIII will go through CenturyLink Field.

Yet with that formality handled in such resounding fashion, they seemingly achieved much more as they spanked New Orleans.

The Seahawks may have also issued a fresh reminder of intimidation: This is what any team that is so fortunate (or not) to make it here during the playoffs will have to deal with.

Russell Wilson, Houdini in a football uniform.

A deep, hungry defense that attacks in waves.

A crowd, aka The 12th Man, that broke another record for decibel level. Seriously.

With the noise, opposing offenses suddenly lose their ability to audible and adjust.

"It's hard to hear," Saints tackle Zach Strief said. "There are plays here and there where you don't hear the cadence very well."

Advantage, Seahawks defense.

What, the Seattle secondary is weakened by the loss of two key players?

Their absence was barely noticed, as Byron Maxwell started at cornerback for the injured Brandon Browner and Jeremy Lane played the nickel slot that was manned by the suspended Walter Thurmond.

The Seahawks held Brees to a season-low 147 passing yards as one of the NFL's most explosive offenses managed one touchdown ... and just 12 first downs.

So much for exploiting a soft spot.

"People didn't believe what I was saying all week, as far as we're not going to miss a beat, because these guys have been practicing like starters," safety Earl Thomas said. "They're very good. They can start anywhere else. We just have other great corners around here."

Message to potential playoff visitors: Come here at your own risk.

The Saints can vouch for that. New Orleans — which must now face another hot team in the Carolina Panthers on a short week, with first place in the NFC South at stake — hoped that it could win on Monday night to avoid a return trip in January.

Yet it turned out as another grim reminder of how the Saints (9-3) struggle when they leave the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Like the Seahawks, who extended their franchise record with a 14th consecutive win at CenturyLink, the Saints are undefeated at home. But they are 3-3 on the road. And despite the improved defense and emphasis on upgrading the rushing attack, they appeared no better equipped to handle a road playoff game than they were in the past.

This was proven early.

Not long after the Seahawks issued the first statement of the night by deferring after winning the coin toss and forcing a three-and-out, the big-play defense scored the game's first touchdown. Cliff Avril forced the Brees fumble that Michael Bennett returned 22 yards for a touchdown.

Then Wilson piled up the big plays while demonstrating that Rob Ryan's defense had no answers for the read-option scheme and its assorted wrinkles. Wilson's two biggest first-half completions — to tight end Zach Miller for 60 yards and Doug Baldwin for 52 yards — took advantage of busted coverages to set up a TD and a field goal.

It was 27-7 at halftime. Ballgame.

"Well, we had a blast tonight," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. "I can't even point out all of the guys that contributed. I will say this: The defense, to hold that quarterback, that coach and that team to that kind of production night, that's incredible."

Wilson, arguably the best young quarterback in the NFL, had a signature night in his own right. He passed for 310 yards and three TDs, and rushed for a game-high 47 yards. But the stats don't do justice in accounting for his impact. Repeatedly, he made the plays when it appeared he had hit a dead end.

Sometimes, he scrambled on mad dashes off the read-option. In other cases, he slipped away from would-be sacks. Other times, he rolled away to throw.

Even when plays didn't work, they worked — like a deflected 8-yard TD pass to fullback Derrick Coleman that took a lucky bounce in the third quarter.

It was that kind of night.

"I texted Coach Carroll yesterday and I said the way we practiced this week was the best week we've ever had," Wilson said. "That preparation was big. I really think it showed up tonight."

Along with fresh videotape to indicate just what could lie ahead.

Check out the stuff at the link,good pics and stuff,,,,Seahawks make statement by romping Saints at home