• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks D fewest points allowed 4th straight year

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know where that ranks historically ? Impressive job considering they didn't start out so great ...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time it's been done since the Browns in the 1950's.

Not the great Bears d's, not the Purple People Eaters, not the Giants of Lawrence Taylor, not the 9ers of Ronnie Lott.

The Seahawks.

Now having said that, I don't think any of these 4 defences will rank near the top of the 'smash you in the teeth' metrics, but they're designed to play in this era against these passing offences.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time it's been done since the Browns in the 1950's.

Not the great Bears d's, not the Purple People Eaters, not the Giants of Lawrence Taylor, not the 9ers of Ronnie Lott.

The Seahawks.

Now having said that, I don't think any of these 4 defences will rank near the top of the 'smash you in the teeth' metrics, but they're designed to play in this era against these passing offences.

Wow.

Here's hoping we keep it going too. I REALLY want us drafting D-Line and secondary (1st and 2nd round picks). Fuller and Day is would be my picks. Day would be a DT I would expect to fill Mebane's shoes (solid every down DT, not anything crazy special like a Suh/Donald, etc.) and Fuller projects to a #1 corner which we need if we continue running cover 3.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you HAVE to draft a O-Tackle early?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they have to do that AND draft a tackle too.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the defensive line goes, I would expect to see Frank Clark's playing time be consistently higher next season than it was this season. That should lessen the need to use an early round pick on a defensive lineman. They might still grab someone early if they see someone they like, but having Clark around shouldn't make defensive line a priority unless someone else gets dropped.

I'm sure they'll continue to add depth at defensive back, especially through the draft. I don't think you'll see them test the free agent market the way they did when they picked up Cary Williams on a multi-year deal. If they do go the free agent route in the secondary, I'd expect the contract to be of the one or two year variety. I'd also expect them to go with someone more familiar with the techniques that they teach than Williams was. He was a terrible fit technique wise because he basically had to learn it from scratch.

Offensive line might actually be in better shape to finish a season than it's been in in years (fingers crossed it stays that way through the playoffs) despite Okung's latest injury. Getting him resigned is likely a priority, but I can't see them handing him elite left tackle money, which, in some ways, is a relief. Obviously you'd prefer it if he'd played the to the level of an elite left tackle since he was drafted and he's played well enough to make keeping him a priority, but with all of the large contracts the Seahawks have been handing out lately, being able to save money at left tackle and still keep their guy would be a win-win. If they have a chance to upgrade somewhere else along the offensive line, that'd be fine, but if everyone gets and stays healthy to finish the year, it'd be nice to go into next year with the same five guys we ended this year with for a change. Otherwise, drafting for depth is always a priority on the offensive line.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D is exceptionally good. This year's version *may* not be as good as the last couple years, but I think it's at least as good as 2012. The hammer now, however, is the offense. NFL Rankings-wise, we have a 1-2 punch (offense & defense) like the 80s 49ers. Going to be really tough to beat us, no matter where the game is played.

And now we have Lynch back.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the defensive line goes, I would expect to see Frank Clark's playing time be consistently higher next season than it was this season. That should lessen the need to use an early round pick on a defensive lineman. They might still grab someone early if they see someone they like, but having Clark around shouldn't make defensive line a priority unless someone else gets dropped.

I'm sure they'll continue to add depth at defensive back, especially through the draft. I don't think you'll see them test the free agent market the way they did when they picked up Cary Williams on a multi-year deal. If they do go the free agent route in the secondary, I'd expect the contract to be of the one or two year variety. I'd also expect them to go with someone more familiar with the techniques that they teach than Williams was. He was a terrible fit technique wise because he basically had to learn it from scratch.

Offensive line might actually be in better shape to finish a season than it's been in in years (fingers crossed it stays that way through the playoffs) despite Okung's latest injury. Getting him resigned is likely a priority, but I can't see them handing him elite left tackle money, which, in some ways, is a relief. Obviously you'd prefer it if he'd played the to the level of an elite left tackle since he was drafted and he's played well enough to make keeping him a priority, but with all of the large contracts the Seahawks have been handing out lately, being able to save money at left tackle and still keep their guy would be a win-win. If they have a chance to upgrade somewhere else along the offensive line, that'd be fine, but if everyone gets and stays healthy to finish the year, it'd be nice to go into next year with the same five guys we ended this year with for a change. Otherwise, drafting for depth is always a priority on the offensive line.

It's going to cost a bunch to get him resigned IMO, for the simple reason that are not many decent OT and the college ranks are only producing a small amount also ( thus why good OT get drafted early). I really think the Seahawks need to resign him and draft a OT for the future also. Not sure if this is what happens, but if Okung is not resigned, expect the same kind of start from the OL next year that they had this year, maybe worse IDK.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to cost a bunch to get him resigned IMO, for the simple reason that are not many decent OT and the college ranks are only producing a small amount also ( thus why good OT get drafted early). I really think the Seahawks need to resign him and draft a OT for the future also. Not sure if this is what happens, but if Okung is not resigned, expect the same kind of start from the OL next year that they had this year, maybe worse IDK.

Yeah I"m scared to imagine not having Okung there, especially with all the progress the O-line has made... Hopefully we find a way to get it done and keep him here...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do think it'll cost a decent amount, but he's missed time with injuries over the years and his play when not injured hasn't been earth shatteringly good so unless they're so afraid of letting him walk that they overpay, I think it'll be fine.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D is exceptionally good. This year's version *may* not be as good as the last couple years, but I think it's at least as good as 2012. The hammer now, however, is the offense. NFL Rankings-wise, we have a 1-2 punch (offense & defense) like the 80s 49ers. Going to be really tough to beat us, no matter where the game is played.

And now we have Lynch back.

It's too bad Seattle let Rothlesberger throw all over us in that one game. It took him a ridiculous 55 attempts but that is the game which ultimately cost getting first overall defense in passing. Our defense could have been first in passing, rushing and points allowed if not for that one bad day.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad Seattle let Rothlesberger throw all over us in that one game. It took him a ridiculous 55 attempts but that is the game which ultimately cost getting first overall defense in passing. Our defense could have been first in passing, rushing and points allowed if not for that one bad day.
I don't think it was a bad day. That's just the game plan the Steelers used.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was a bad day. That's just the game plan the Steelers used.

True, that was their plan. Still, allowing BR to pass for 450+ yards definitely impact of passing D's stats for the year.