• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saquon Barkley

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't trust rookies.
But I may be coming around to Saquon Barkley.
:sigh:

According to FantasyPros, Barkley's ECR is 8 and his ADP is 6.

saquon1.png
While I don't trust rookies, I do trust trends.

Did some digging and found that in the last decade, 29 rookie RB have had at least 1000 yards from scrimmage in their first year. That's not a bad number considering only 20 RB were drafted in the first round in the last decade.

Of course, Ezekiel Elliott in 2016 leads the way. He was picked 4th overall and rumbled behind a great O-line to the tune of 1994 total scrimmage yards.

I have felt that his example tilted the scales towards rookies since this seems to be an expectation of every fantasy owner that their rookie mancrush becomes the next EE.

There are other rookies who did well too. Doug Martin in 2012 (1926 yds), Chris Johnson in 2008 (1488 yds) round out the top 3 rookie RB in the last 10 years.

But there are some duds. Darren McFadden was taken 4th overall in 2008 and only mustered 784 scrimmage yards. C.J. Spiller was taken 9th overall in 2010 and barely made 440 scrimmage yards.

Look, I think the Giants have a terrible O-line. So Barkley would have to make his own yards. It may not be fair to compare, but the Giants are on their third rookie RB in consecutive seasons. Previously there was 4th round pick Wayne Gallman (2017), and 5th rounder Paul Perkins (2016). Skipping back a couple more seasons, there was also 4th-rounder Andre Williams (2014) and 1st round flop David Wilson (2012).

Sorry but the G-men don't have a good resume on picking RB this side of Tiki Barber.

That said, I was not that enthused about Ezekiel Elliott's situation in Dallas in his rookie season. If you recall, The 'Boys were going to start a rookie QB (Dak Prescott) along with a rookie RB. It didn't seem like a desirable situation regardless of the hype or the O-line. Still, Elliott made history.

I still feel that Barkley will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to finish 6th overall in fantasy scoring as his ADP suggests. But based on how first round rookies have done over the last decade, I am willing to consider him in the top 15.

I'll probably still miss out on him which I'm okay with. Anyone care to talk me into bumping him up a few spots? Or down?

:scratch:

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you Joe. I don't plan on owning him anywhere because I'm not willing to pay a 1st round price tag and there's not way he's making it to the 2nd round from what I've been seeing.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been out of this game for a few years but I thought his line wasn't that great. I don't like rookies but RBs can do good as rooks. But if the line isn't good then not many rbs are either.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take him after Johnson, Bell, and Gurley, no doubt. You know he will be starter RB1 caliber with the upside of best back in the league. Nobody after the top three offer that kind of security.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take him after Johnson, Bell, and Gurley, no doubt. You know he will be starter RB1 caliber with the upside of best back in the league. Nobody after the top three offer that kind of security.
best back in the league upside, bahahah

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that the Gmen's line concerns are being way overblown. The Solder and Hernandez additions will work wonders..even it its just from horrible to average..its a big improvement

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie RBs are winning fantasy leagues every year for people

It's Rookie QBs and WRs that you shouldnt place big expectations on

Barkley I believe will be great, the Oline is greatly improved, he will absolutely dominate touches on the ground and in the air

I think the big question is do you risk taking him ahead of AB and Kamara? Or do you slot him more in the 7-10 range?

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's Rookie QBs and WRs that you should place big expectations on

Barkley I believe will be great, the Oline is greatly improved, he will absolutely dominate touches on the ground and in the air

I think the big question is do you risk taking him ahead of AB and Kamara? Or do you slot him more in the 7-10 range?
AB is debatable. Kamara won’t have the opportunity Barkley does after ingraham comes back.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AB is debatable. Kamara won’t have the opportunity Barkley does after ingraham comes back.

Totally agree

Love Kamaras ability, but very few RBs are forced to split carries with another elite back

It worked for Both last season, I'm a bit skeptical being able to repeat that

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping he gets drafted before my first pick (12).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley is considered a good pass catching RB and I think it’s reasonable to predict his catching total to be up there with other really good pass catching RB. When it comes to RBs opportunity in the way of carries and targets are one of most important stats to consider. With rookies you have to make your best guess on opportunity. Given his draft status, it isn’t hard to predict he’ll be given a ton of opportunity. On that alone he’s worth a first round pick IMO. That being said, there are several RBs that should and will be drafted ahead of him. Depending on who is left on the draft board, I certainly would consider him in the first round.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is an exaggeration.
And fantasy owners are buying into the hype.
Kamara, Hunt and Fournette all landed on good offensive teams with good coaches.
And if they helped so many fantasy teams win, then WHY o WHY is Barkley being drafted ahead of proven 2nd-year guys like Hunt, Kamara, Fournette, And McCaffrey?

I'll tell you why, because whatever production these rookies had last year, fantasy owners are greedy. 1200 scrimmage yards is peanuts to them. They all swing for the fences and want more.
History shows that 1000 yards may be realistic for a rookie, but EXPECTING 1500+ is too high a bar and doesn't happen often.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:
And maybe some are looking at his first preseason carry for 39 yards as a glimpse of things to come? But the next 4 carries for 5 yards total?
And if it was against non starters I wouldn't be so quick to anoint this guy rookie of the year.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah:
And maybe some are looking at his first preseason carry for 39 yards as a glimpse of things to come? But the next 4 carries for 5 yards total?
And if it was against non starters I wouldn't be so quick to anoint this guy rookie of the year.

I'd have to go back and look, I know Doug Martin and Trent Richardson had the same effect on fantasy in their rookie seasons as the guys last season

It's not a position that typically requires a lot of development like QB and WR

The Barkley hype isn't about a 39 yard run, it's about being the #2 pick in the draft and more than once being labeled the most complete back to come out since AP

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to go back and look, I know Doug Martin and Trent Richardson had the same effect on fantasy in their rookie seasons as the guys last season

It's not a position that typically requires a lot of development like QB and WR

The Barkley hype isn't about a 39 yard run, it's about being the #2 pick in the draft and more than once being labeled the most complete back to come out since AP

Complete back and AP shouldn't be used in the same sentence.