• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sammy Watkins traded to Rams

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to trust 2 things here. McVay and his offense along with Wade and his defense. Wade isn't going to give up a CB that's a crucial to his system. Hell look at the CBs that have come out of Denver, not to mention his front 7 have helped those DBs out a lot. McVay needs playmakers and now? Yeah Tavon and Watkins need to stay healthy but man if they do? Could be pretty sweet to watch for whoever is QB.

If we move Tavon, might be easier to lock up Donald. Might be a few moving parts here.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Convoluted trades, lol. Bills also traded Darby to the Eagles for Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third rounder. CB and WR for a CB and WR. New Bills GM is shuffling around players and stockpiling draft picks.

Darby is stud too. Crazy. Now the Bills have 2 picks in each of the 2018 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is a beast when on the field. My concern.... isn't he a FA next year??

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play of CB Webster, who came from Denver with Phillips made Gaines expendable. The word that I'm reading is that Gaines has not really come all the way back from his foot injury of a year ago and may be dealing with that injury into the foreseeable future. The injury has affected Gaines' ability to stop, start, and cut. If he does well in Buffalo, we really did give up too much. Plus, we have a boatload of young WRs that really do need developing like Spruce, McRoberts, Thomas, Kupp, and Reynolds. We definitely overpaid for Woods and if Watkins can stay healthy, the offset may be worth it. However, if this trade gets rid of the little turd so we can sign Trumaine and Donald long-term, then I might lighten my tune a bit.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is basically signaling that the Rams are trying to compete next year and the Bill aren't. If the Rams can't get Goff and Gurley going then what exactly are they even doing?

It smells of desperation but the Rams have been rebuilding for like 10 years now and they're in LA so they're actually trying

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Clayton, they are going to have to try harder because the Limp Biscuit is shelling-out some serious scratch and if we continue to put a losing team on the field, he is going to lose money and then his attention may be piqued then. Nobody is going to watch a pile-of-crap 7-9 team year-in and year-out.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Clayton, they are going to have to try harder because the Limp Biscuit is shelling-out some serious scratch and if we continue to put a losing team on the field, he is going to lose money and then his attention may be piqued then. Nobody is going to watch a pile-of-crap 7-9 team year-in and year-out.
I'd imagine Snead is trying to save his job, too.

I think the move makes sense for the Rams but it means that they'll likely be married to Watkins new (likely big) contract at some point. They're also getting Watkins around the time when he should be hitting his prime. He wasn't the ideal WR coming out but his upside was as high at it gets at the position imo. Remember how much he cost the Bills to get?

I think the NFC West is the weakest it has been since Russell Wilson got drafted. This is the time to strike

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loser
i

The Rams

So much of what the Rams do on a year-to-year basis seems to be about erasing or accounting for the mistakes they've made in the past. Here again they're addressing their disastrous investment and reinvestment in the badly miscast Tavon Austin by shelling out another draft pick and what is (in the best case) going to be a huge contract to retain Watkins for the years to come.

You could understand why the Rams would want to take a shot at Watkins, but the 2018 free-agent wide receiver class is staggering, including players like Matthews, DeAndre Hopkins and Allen Robinson. Some of those guys will re-sign with their current teams, of course, but maybe the Rams end up giving someone like Jeffery or Terrelle Pryor a big deal. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

What's frustrating about this move is that the Rams had to give up a second-round pick to acquire Watkins. Given that they're unlikely to be very good -- ESPN's FPI projects them to finish with the league's fifth-worst record -- chances are they'll be sending a high second-rounder to the Bills to acquire a player who hasn't been healthy for most of his career.

per Chase Stuart's chart, even the top pick of the sixth round is worth just 12 percent as much as the fifth pick of the second round, the selection the Rams project to send to Buffalo.)

Even if Los Angeles' bet on Watkins works out in 2017, the Rams are going to be stuck using their franchise tag or making a long-term bet on a player with a history of foot injuries. They could recoup a compensatory draft pick if they let Watkins leave, but that assumes Watkins will have a big-enough year to justify a serious deal in free agency while the Rams themselves mostly sit out, which seems like a very unlikely proposition.

They're also going to be in serious trouble at cornerback, where they just traded away Gaines and won't be able to afford franchising Trumaine Johnson for a third time after the season. Wade Phillips is a defensive genius, but the best guy on Los Angeles' depth chart for 2018 appears to be Broncos import Kayvon Webster, who played 58 defensive snaps last season and has spent the last several years buried underneath a stacked depth chart in Denver

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is basically signaling that the Rams are trying to compete next year and the Bill aren't. If the Rams can't get Goff and Gurley going then what exactly are they even doing?

It smells of desperation but the Rams have been rebuilding for like 10 years now and they're in LA so they're actually trying

Actually, it signals that they are ready to move on from Watkins (first sign was not picking up his 5th year option). They just added Boldin, who can step into the starting lineup along with rookie Zay Jones eventually (if Zay doesn't beat out Andre Holmes initially). Jordan Matthews will fit right into the slot. Bills got Matthews on the cheap and avoid having to make the Watkins decision this winter. Bills look to continue being a run first team.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play of CB Webster, who came from Denver with Phillips made Gaines expendable. The word that I'm reading is that Gaines has not really come all the way back from his foot injury of a year ago and may be dealing with that injury into the foreseeable future. The injury has affected Gaines' ability to stop, start, and cut. If he does well in Buffalo, we really did give up too much. Plus, we have a boatload of young WRs that really do need developing like Spruce, Thomas, Kupp, and Reynolds. Woods we definiely overpaid for and if Watkins can stay helathy, the offset may be worth it. However, if this trade gets rid of the little turd so we can sign Trumaine and Donald long-term, then I might lighten my tune a bit.
Games are won and lost in the fourth quarter. No better example of that statement was last years Super Bowl.

With that in mind, where the Rams are desperate is on the offensive side of the ball. The defense was ~top ten last year but still lost games in the fourth quarter. I think we've upgraded the DC spot, and surely have better coaching talent on the offensive side of the ball, so going from leagues worst to mediocre is an upgrade that can make a huge difference in our Division which has no clear favorite or power house.

The roster moves the Rams have made on the offensive side of the ball, and the offensive scheme with greater coaching talent, makes the jump from leagues worst to mediocre achievable, and could put us in position to win the Division if all goes well. Keeping the defense fresh to finish the job is critical and these changes we are seeing on offense, can be just enough to sustain drives and keep the defense off the field so they can finish strong. We lost 3 games last year in the fourth quarter (Miami, Detroit & San Fran) that a fresh defense wins in the 4th quarter.

Just that alone puts us at 7-9 (Sounds like you know who :dhd:) Anyway, trading some defensive depth and picks to complete a plan that fits the McVay scheme can let us take the small steps to reach for mediocre which helps the offense sustain drives and thus keeps the defense off the field so they can be fresh in the 4th quarter!

Adding moves like this should upgrade the offensive side of the ball, so obtaining that mediocre status in McVay's first year, especially with the additions Watkins, Woods, Whitworth, Sullivan and all them rookies, makes us so much better offensively than last year.

Then add in the fact that we could face the Colts missing Luck and a Cowboys missing Elliot, we could find ourselves off to a good start, and possibly lead to a run at the Division. :yes:

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loser
i

The Rams

So much of what the Rams do on a year-to-year basis seems to be about erasing or accounting for the mistakes they've made in the past. Here again they're addressing their disastrous investment and reinvestment in the badly miscast Tavon Austin by shelling out another draft pick and what is (in the best case) going to be a huge contract to retain Watkins for the years to come.

You could understand why the Rams would want to take a shot at Watkins, but the 2018 free-agent wide receiver class is staggering, including players like Matthews, DeAndre Hopkins and Allen Robinson. Some of those guys will re-sign with their current teams, of course, but maybe the Rams end up giving someone like Jeffery or Terrelle Pryor a big deal. That wouldn't be the end of the world.

What's frustrating about this move is that the Rams had to give up a second-round pick to acquire Watkins. Given that they're unlikely to be very good -- ESPN's FPI projects them to finish with the league's fifth-worst record -- chances are they'll be sending a high second-rounder to the Bills to acquire a player who hasn't been healthy for most of his career.

per Chase Stuart's chart, even the top pick of the sixth round is worth just 12 percent as much as the fifth pick of the second round, the selection the Rams project to send to Buffalo.)

Even if Los Angeles' bet on Watkins works out in 2017, the Rams are going to be stuck using their franchise tag or making a long-term bet on a player with a history of foot injuries. They could recoup a compensatory draft pick if they let Watkins leave, but that assumes Watkins will have a big-enough year to justify a serious deal in free agency while the Rams themselves mostly sit out, which seems like a very unlikely proposition.

They're also going to be in serious trouble at cornerback, where they just traded away Gaines and won't be able to afford franchising Trumaine Johnson for a third time after the season. Wade Phillips is a defensive genius, but the best guy on Los Angeles' depth chart for 2018 appears to be Broncos import Kayvon Webster, who played 58 defensive snaps last season and has spent the last several years buried underneath a stacked depth chart in Denver

Yeah this is what I was getting at. The Rams most likely will be using the Franchise tag next year on Watkins which won't be cheap. :L A second rd picks seems very steep to me. A third would have been easier to take. Imagine how much Sammy is gonna want when he looks at what the Rams are paying Austin.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita

My whole thing is this: they gave up valuable depth at CB and took on an off injured WR and gave up a high-mid 2nd round pick.

Who's to say the Rams don't already have a capable WR on the roster when the past regime ( and now this one ), refuse to let the WR's develop. I mean, they've drafted a ton of WR's in the past 3-4 drafts and have developed none of them.

I honestly think Reynolds could've easily played Watkins role in this offense and wouldn't have been the risk involved that Watkins is ( injury prone, cost of Dept and CB and a 2nd rounder, potential of huge contract that will cap strap the Rams even more ).

How many more times do we have to watch the Rams throw away picks and money to fix the WR position while the Pats take our released WR's and win SB's with our discarded talent?

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just gave up an off-injured back up CB for Watkins, someone who is a playmaker when healthy.

Maybe none of the WR's have developed because they haven't shown the ability to become starters in the league. It's not like other teams are pounding down the door for Nelson Spruce and Cooper.

Reynolds will get a chance once he's healthy. Kid is still very raw as a rookie and can learn from Watkins.

Vita

My whole thing is this: they gave up valuable depth at CB and took on an off injured WR and gave up a high-mid 2nd round pick.

Who's to say the Rams don't already have a capable WR on the roster when the past regime ( and now this one ), refuse to let the WR's develop. I mean, they've drafted a ton of WR's in the past 3-4 drafts and have developed none of them.

I honestly think Reynolds could've easily played Watkins role in this offense and wouldn't have been the risk involved that Watkins is ( injury prone, cost of Dept and CB and a 2nd rounder, potential of huge contract that will cap strap the Rams even more ).

How many more times do we have to watch the Rams throw away picks and money to fix the WR position while the Pats take our released WR's and win SB's with our discarded talent?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita

I get what you are saying ALR, losing that second hurts, I wish it could have been a 3rd, but Watson has the real talent, can take the top off the defense and make them pay by taking it to the house if they decided to stack the box in obvious running downs. I'm not sure the Rookie Reynolds gets that same respect.

Regarding our WR's we really have no depth at the No. 1. Tavon was penciled in as the deep threat, but we all know the gadget player is a slot guy, so that leaves the 4th round Rookie Reynolds, that's a lot of pressure on a late round rookie, and besides he's been battling an injured quad. So two deep threats not getting in any practice in a McVay system that depends on taking the top off the defense.

Now as for the CB's, the Rams are high on Webster and Johnson as our starting CB's. I expect they plan to use Joyner as a slot CB, besides Free Safety. So that left a log jamb at CB and both Gaines and Robey-Colman were about neck and neck. Factor in the Gaines injury history, his current foot problems now, and the fact that he was kicked out of practice yesterday, it's easy to see why Phillips saw Gaines expendable.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita
I see your point. Of course, this all depends on Watkins actually staying on the field ( which is a big question mark after his past 2 seasons ).

Also, the whole argument about not having a deep threat is an unknown, because, again, the Rams don't bother developing their WR's.

Look what OBJ did for the Giants his rookie season. He became that guy for them, but nobody knew that going into the season, cause he was a rookie. I'm not saying Reynolds is OBJ, I'm just saying you don't know unless you let these guys play, and the past 2 regimes now have not done that. They keep trying to plug in "fixes".

I'm hoping it works out for the best, but I doubt it due to Watkins injury history and the fact the Woods/Watkins combo didn't Excell in Buffalo already.

And, if by chance it does work, how do the Rams afford pay raises and extensions for Jonson, Donald, Ogletree AND Watkins?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just gave up an off-injured back up CB for Watkins, someone who is a playmaker when healthy.

Maybe none of the WR's have developed because they haven't shown the ability to become starters in the league. It's not like other teams are pounding down the door for Nelson Spruce and Cooper.

Reynolds will get a chance once he's healthy. Kid is still very raw as a rookie and can learn from Watkins.

No team is going to pound down the door for WR's they never get to see play. There is nothing to go off of cause the Rams like drafting WR's, they just don't like playing them.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita
I see your point. Of course, this all depends on Watkins actually staying on the field ( which is a big question mark after his past 2 seasons ).

Also, the whole argument about not having a deep threat is an unknown, because, again, the Rams don't bother developing their WR's.

Look what OBJ did for the Giants his rookie season. He became that guy for them, but nobody knew that going into the season, cause he was a rookie. I'm not saying Reynolds is OBJ, I'm just saying you don't know unless you let these guys play, and the past 2 regimes now have not done that. They keep trying to plug in "fixes".

I'm hoping it works out for the best, but I doubt it due to Watkins injury history and the fact the Woods/Watkins combo didn't Excell in Buffalo already.

And, if by chance it does work, how do the Rams afford pay raises and extensions for Jonson, Donald, Ogletree AND Watkins?
Just gonna point out now that you've compared a No. 2 overall (And 1st WR selected) & now a No. 12 overall (And 3rd WR selected behind Watkins I'll add) to a No. 117 overall. (And 14th WR selected overall and 2nd Rams WR selected overall.)

I like the idea that he could learn from the vet Watkins, if he is the real deal, McVay will know before they go to resign Watkins.

I know letting Watkins go to Free Agency doesn't sound too appealing but let's look at the pros, the Rams likely let him go because he blows it up and has a huge market in Free Agency, or the Rams see that Reynolds can be that deep threat, but either way the Rams get a Comp pick out of it, and if it's because of the former, it may likely be a 3rd rounder.

But greater than that, McVay now has the known weapons for Goff to be successful, this should really give the Rams a great look at what Goff can do with talent around him or if he is going to go the way of bust sooner than later. Take them damned excuses away, give him some talent around the line, give him a deep threat in Watkins, a vet in Woods, a talented TE in Everett and a sure handed slot guy in Kupp or Austin and see what happens. Also let's them know where they may stand with Gurley too, another guy they are going to have to make decisions on sooner than later.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita

Did you just put sure-handed and Austin in the same sentence?:pound:

Anyways, I didn't say he was those guys. What I was saying is you don't know what you truly have unless you let these guys play.

Also, we all know, it's not where you are drafted that matters. Antonio Brown was the 20th WR drafted in 2010 and he is arguably the best WR in the game ( taken in the 6th round ).

It's not about where you were drafted, it's about whether you can play, and that's what frustrates me. The Rams are constantly throwing money/picks to get WR's without seeing what they have first.

And getting a 3rd as comp when you gave up a 2nd is bad GM work. The Bills weren't going to get more than a 3rd for him as comp, that's the most the Rams should've offered ( ideally a 4th since their pick is likely to be high and comp picks are late 3rds at best ). But no, they break the bank for a guy that has talent but can't stay healthy.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just put sure-handed and Austin in the same sentence?:pound:
Yeah, I thought about reworking that sentence, but thought I was covered by stating "in Kupp OR Austin" and not "in Kupp AND Austin", still I caught it too and it did feel funny to hit post reply with it reading like that. :lol: