• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

salary cap issues for 2016

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, an article like this at this point in time is silly. With all the loop holes and cuts to be made, trades etc. it's tough to really say where teams will stand in regards to the cap a year down the line.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where again people forget that the Salary Cap is just a number. While yes these teams will have to be careful and probably won't be big spenders in FA that doesn't mean they are screwed. For Miami for the most part they have all of their key players locked up for this next season. They don't need to be big spenders next year after spending big this off season. They now have to act like the top teams in the league of using FA to get a couple of midlevel type guys but otherwise rely on the draft. Same with the other teams on this list. The one team I would agree is going to really struggle is that of New Orleans. They began this off season and it will continue next off season somewhat hitting the reset button. They let some things get out of control like that of the spending on Drew Brees and others but they seem to be trying to make decisions to help correct all they have done over the last few years.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before the DonkeyKong Suh fans tell all about how Suh is going to restructure next year and not get paid $28 million.
Don't forget Flacco and his $32 million next year.....

I'm sure these teams won't mind.......

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before the DonkeyKong Suh fans tell all about how Suh is going to restructure next year and not get paid $28 million.
Don't forget Flacco and his $32 million next year.....

I'm sure these teams won't mind.......

There are plenty of ways to restructure where the player still gets all of his money so the player is happy and the team gets salary cap relief. Such as offering more signing bonus so the cap hit is spread out over more years so then the player has more guaranteed that the team can't release him as they would take a bigger dead money hit while the team gets to keep more players and have a little more money to spend or even to not spend but be under the cap.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of ways to restructure where the player still gets all of his money so the player is happy and the team gets salary cap relief. Such as offering more signing bonus so the cap hit is spread out over more years so then the player has more guaranteed that the team can't release him as they would take a bigger dead money hit while the team gets to keep more players and have a little more money to spend or even to not spend but be under the cap.

I get all that but so much has been spent on Suh, there is no place to "hide" it

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all that but so much has been spent on Suh, there is no place to "hide" it

There is plenty of places to hide it. Such as having the restructure take his cap hit next year say down by $10 million to around the $18 million mark. Turn that extra $10 million into a signing bonus and essentially you have pushed the issue down the road for another 2-3 years where then his cap hit would be $26 million. By that point though with how much the cap is going up that probably wouldn't look so bad compared to right now for a defensive player. Even then though let's say you want to lower that number once again at that point by $10 million down to $16 million then just add another year to the contract and you have where not a single year is actually above that $20 million mark.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We talked about this earlier in the year and pretty much gave up convincing each other.
I would like to add that my point is not that Miami, Buffalo and Jets won't be able to pay the bills.
My point is that after balancing the books will they have resources remaining to improve the team?
My opinion is an emphatic no!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of places to hide it. Such as having the restructure take his cap hit next year say down by $10 million to around the $18 million mark. Turn that extra $10 million into a signing bonus and essentially you have pushed the issue down the road for another 2-3 years where then his cap hit would be $26 million. By that point though with how much the cap is going up that probably wouldn't look so bad compared to right now for a defensive player. Even then though let's say you want to lower that number once again at that point by $10 million down to $16 million then just add another year to the contract and you have where not a single year is actually above that $20 million mark.

You sell used cars?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sell used cars?

Haha no. Believe me I do understand where you are coming from on this as honestly pushing the money down the road usually is never the best idea. New Orleans is figuring that out right now as you can only push it so far before it becomes a huge problem. I do think for Miami it now comes down to the draft. They have the core of the team signed now for the next couple of years. They shouldn't have any huge contracts needed to be signed next year. Yes they won't be able to be shoppers in FA but that is something that as a team you don't want to have to do very often. They now have to make sure their college scouting department is top notch as that is the best way to build the team. IF they can't do that then yes they are screwed.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, teams can always restructure and keep kicking the can down the road, i"m not disputing that, but based on what is on the books right now I thought it was interesting 3 teams in the AFC East are on the list.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, an article like this at this point in time is silly. With all the loop holes and cuts to be made, trades etc. it's tough to really say where teams will stand in regards to the cap a year down the line.

teams can try to do the sleight of hand trick like the 49'ers attempted years ago, until they got caught.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, teams can always restructure and keep kicking the can down the road, i"m not disputing that, but based on what is on the books right now I thought it was interesting 3 teams in the AFC East are on the list.

I made this point back in free agency period. The 3 AFCE teams improved their game enough to compete harder against each other but they have mortgaged out their future, making it virtually impossible to improve next year.

DonkeyKong Suh is going to make $6 million this year and was valued at $20 million by many. That is really going to be interesting when they ask him to give some of that $28.6 million back.

Oh, and Revis is getting younger every year!

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Skins not on that List???/ how can that be??? We are the kings of being against the cap......Oh wait.....they have changed the way they do things now.....The 36Mil cap hit is in the rear view mirror!!!