• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabres captaincy

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On NHL Tonight they said that Ron Rolston has named Thomas Vanek the team captain for the the home games and Steve Ott the team captain for the road games. When asked why co-captains, Rolston responded,

“We just thought both guys represented what we wanted. Nothing more, nothing less than that. We thought it’s all about the influence they have on the team. Those guys are big influences on the team, so we thought that was the way to go.”

On one hand you could say that Vanek & Ott are both deserving of the C so they might as well share it. On the other hand you could say that Ron Rolston is indecisive. Maybe it's just a ploy to sell Thomas Vanek home jerseys & Steve Ott road jerseys? What are your thoughts?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On NHL Tonight they said that Ron Rolston has named Thomas Vanek the team captain for the the home games and Steve Ott the team captain for the road games. When asked why co-captains, Rolston responded,

“We just thought both guys represented what we wanted. Nothing more, nothing less than that. We thought it’s all about the influence they have on the team. Those guys are big influences on the team, so we thought that was the way to go.”

On one hand you could say that Vanek & Ott are both deserving of the C so they might as well share it. On the other hand you could say that Ron Rolston is indecisive. Maybe it's just a ploy to sell Thomas Vanek home jerseys & Steve Ott road jerseys? What are your thoughts?

This is nothing new for the Sabres. Under Ruff they had co-captains with Drury and Briere and then after they left, they rotated the captaincy around.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick one and be done with it, I nominate John Scott

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Codys dad was named captain last week?

:confused2:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't they been trying to trade Vanek for like two years?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like sabresfans said they have been doing this for years. No news here.

No they have not been trying to trade Vanek. In fact they want to keep him and he wants to stay but want's to see what direction the team is headed. We probably will not know until the end of the season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No they have not been trying to trade Vanek. In fact they want to keep him and he wants to stay but want's to see what direction the team is headed. We probably will not know until the end of the season.

Okay. Just seems like I kept hearing his name in trade rumours. Makes sense that he wants to be sure of what's happening. If he was flat out disgruntled, then a captaincy is a bad idea. *cough* Adam Foote *cough*

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nothing new for the Sabres. Under Ruff they had co-captains with Drury and Briere and then after they left, they rotated the captaincy around.

Interesting, didn't realize that about Drury & Briere.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Just seems like I kept hearing his name in trade rumours. Makes sense that he wants to be sure of what's happening. If he was flat out disgruntled, then a captaincy is a bad idea. *cough* Adam Foote *cough*

This is still a grey area for sure. Vanek has made it known he's not happy, and doesn't want to be part of a team that is rebuilding and going younger.

If the Sabres are struggling before the trade deadline, look for Vanek to want a trade. People already are saying how Vanek wasn't happy about not getting the C last year when they gave it to Pommers, but look what happened to him. Giving him the C is just an attempt to try and make him happy for the meantime while they see how things play out.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they trade Vanek they should just trade him for road games and get him back for home games.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is still a grey area for sure. Vanek has made it known he's not happy, and doesn't want to be part of a team that is rebuilding and going younger.

If the Sabres are struggling before the trade deadline, look for Vanek to want a trade. People already are saying how Vanek wasn't happy about not getting the C last year when they gave it to Pommers, but look what happened to him. Giving him the C is just an attempt to try and make him happy for the meantime while they see how things play out.

If? I'd say more like when.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone made Ott a captain?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Good luck, if you think that he will lead by example. Unless they intend for the example to be 'How to take penalties at bad times and turtle.'

/No disrespect to Sabres fans, I would have reacted the same way to this news regardless of the sweater.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, if you think that he will lead by example. Unless they intend for the example to be 'How to take penalties at bad times and turtle.'

He's not even a good usher (lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mintyp69

The one and ONLY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, didn't realize that about Drury & Briere.

The years where Drury & Briere shared were the BEST years. And we had alot of up & comers such as Roy, Pommer & Vanek come into the fold. We went to the Eastern Cup finals only to lose to the Canes because we were decimated by injuries & the next year we were President Trophy Winner

Anything is possible...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like a cool thing. I actually like how in football you have several Captains on each team. Makes it a group of leadership instead of a sole thing, though hockey does have the "A" as well.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a cool thing. I actually like how in football you have several Captains on each team. Makes it a group of leadership instead of a sole thing, though hockey does have the "A" as well.

I actually don't see why some people think it's a bad thing either. If you have a few guy's that are leaders why not move it around?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't see why some people think it's a bad thing either. If you have a few guy's that are leaders why not move it around?

Isn't that what the "A"s are for?

Actually I was unclear on that detail anyway so now is a good time to ask, will the guy who's not wearing the "C" for Buffalo that night be wearing an "A" or will he not have anything?