• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie Watch

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always given Julio the slight advantage over Green. Jones looks like he's gotten faster - Scarey

Julio Jones was an excellent prospect, but AJ Green is the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson. Though Jones is in an infinitely better situation right now.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Kendricks reeled in five catches for 47 yards and a touchdown in St. Louis' preseason opener on Saturday.

Kendricks bounced off two tacklers for a six-yard score in the first quarter for his first reception, while three of his next four catches moved the chains for the Rams on third down. Kendricks was already the talk of Rams camp, but now it looks like he might be the class of the league's rookie tight ends this season. He's definitely worth a late-round flier as an upside handcuff to a low ceiling TE1.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Julio Jones was an excellent prospect, but AJ Green is the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson. Though Jones is in an infinitely better situation right now.

While Green is a threat to make a big play at any point in the game, I don't think he's home run threat on every play. He's not going to outrun DB's to get behind the defense. Instead he'll just jump over the defender(s), but not many more yards are going to be picked up after that.

----

Jalil Brown had a good pass deflection on a 5-yard slant in the endzone yesterday.

Kendric Burney, nearly picked one off jumping a route and he also deflected a slant pass later in the game.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Green is a threat to make a big play at any point in the game, I don't think he's home run threat on every play. He's not going to outrun DB's to get behind the defense. Instead he'll just jump over the defender(s), but not many more yards are going to be picked up after that.

----

Jalil Brown had a good pass deflection on a 5-yard slant in the endzone yesterday.

Kendric Burney, nearly picked one off jumping a route and he also deflected a slant pass later in the game.

He doesn't need to outrun Defenders. He's got the best hands of any receiver i've seen come out in a long time. Unfortunately he looks to be the number one guy there already, so i'm sure he's going to get a lot of attention from Defenders early on.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He doesn't need to outrun Defenders. He's got the best hands of any receiver i've seen come out in a long time. Unfortunately he looks to be the number one guy there already, so i'm sure he's going to get a lot of attention from Defenders early on.

That's what I'm saying though. He's a Brandon Lloyd, not a Terrell Owens.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm saying though. He's a Brandon Lloyd, not a Terrell Owens.

Really? Brandon Lloyd is 6'0, while A.J. Green is 6'4 for starters. Lloyd has developed some nice hands and is probably a better route runner at this point, but what A.J. Green brings to the table is completely different. AJ is a guy who can jump up and get it in traffic, where Lloyd is more of an over the shoulder guy who catches the ball in the right place.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really? Brandon Lloyd is 6'0, while A.J. Green is 6'4 for starters. Lloyd has developed some nice hands and is probably a better route runner at this point, but what A.J. Green brings to the table is completely different. AJ is a guy who can jump up and get it in traffic, where Lloyd is more of an over the shoulder guy who catches the ball in the right place.

My response to you and Clyde:

I regard Brandon Lloyd a bit higher than the both of you. IMO, he's just as good as attacking the ball at the highest point as anyone in the league. But, yeah, Larry Fitzgerald is another good comparison though. Still not a threat to score on every play. And of course I say that with the SB slant pattern running in my mind.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My response to you and Clyde:

I regard Brandon Lloyd a bit higher than the both of you. IMO, he's just as good as attacking the ball at the highest point as anyone in the league. But, yeah, Larry Fitzgerald is another good comparison though. Still not a threat to score on every play. And of course I say that with the SB slant pattern running in my mind.

Larry Fitzgerald is a much better comparison.

Brandon Lloyd 2010 Season Highlights (HD) - YouTube

How many balls did he out jump a defender? He actually has a QB who has can get the ball to him where he has the best chance to catch it. Sure, he makes some great catches and i really do like Brandon Lloyd after that season he had, but to compare his game to A.J. Green's is just not the case.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Larry Fitzgerald is a much better comparison.

Brandon Lloyd 2010 Season Highlights (HD) - YouTube

How many balls did he out jump a defender? He actually has a QB who has can get the ball to him where he has the best chance to catch it. Sure, he makes some great catches and i really do like Brandon Lloyd after that season he had, but to compare his game to A.J. Green's is just not the case.

Doesn't matter how many times he did out jump the defender, just the know that he can. If Tebow or Orton gives Lloyd more chances to make in traffic over defender catches, do you have any doubts that he won't?

If we really want to get picky here, Fitzgerald is much harder to bring down and is a better route runner than the both of them.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter how many times he did out jump the defender, just the know that he can. If Tebow or Orton gives Lloyd more chances to make in traffic over defender catches, do you have any doubts that he won't?

If we really want to get picky here, Fitzgerald is much harder to bring down and is a better route runner than the both of them.

Tebow give Lloyd more chances? I doubt it. Orton on the other hand plays to Lloyd's strengths. He's not going to be able to out jump many guys. When i see him do it, then i will believe it. I've never seen that aspect of his game, though.

Again, i never said he was a Larry Fitagerald. I said he was a much better comparison to Fitz than he was to Lloyd.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Replying to Sickness' Other Preseason Observation thread...

Jake Locker surprised me last night. I actually saw him progress to his 2nd read, which he never did in college. Accuracy and a strong arm, something I've never doubted in Locker. But I don't know how much stock we should put into a broken play though on that Figurs TD. A botched snap and a circus catch on one of his passes that sailed - proves sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Cam Newton was actually better than his statistics showed. Panther receivers dropped about two of this passes. Per usual, Panther's OL had no answer for the rush. I'm sure Newton is kicking himself over not holding his ground in the pocket on that pass where he over lead Edwards(could have been a TD).

As of now, the most impressive rookie QBs this week, IMO were
1. Ryan Mallett 2. Cam Newton 3. Jake Locker

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Replying to Sickness' Other Preseason Observation thread...

Jake Locker surprised me last night. I actually saw him progress to his 2nd read, which he never did in college. Accuracy and a strong arm, something I've never doubted in Locker. But I don't know how much stock we should put into a broken play though on that Figurs TD. A botched snap and a circus catch on one of his passes that sailed - proves sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Cam Newton was actually better than his statistics showed. Panther receivers dropped about two of this passes. Per usual, Panther's OL had no answer for the rush. I'm sure Newton is kicking himself over not holding his ground in the pocket on that pass where he over lead Edwards(could have been a TD).

Preseason means sh8t!! But I noticed one thing that the preseason won't lie to us about. A QB's ability to stay in the pocket and be a "QB" - pass the ball, go through at least two reads (semi progression), and deliver an accurate pass. Cam didn't even use his best asset (his legs), which gives me reason to believe that once everything is put together (accuracy / reading defenses), he'll nearly be as deadly as Vick was in 2010.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 22 overall pick LT Anthony Castonzo "held his own" in the Colts' preseason opener on Saturday.

Most of Castonzo's playing time came against the Rams' second team, but he did show quick instincts and good strength. That's great news for the Colts, who were all but forced to name Castonzo their starting blindside protector when Charlie Johnson bolted for Minnesota.

The Indianapolis Star believes undrafted rookie RB Darren Evans gave the Colts "something to consider" with his performance in their preseason opener.

Evans rushed for a team-high 52 yards on eight carries last evening, though all but one of his carries came in the second half. If he makes the team, it will likely be to play special teams.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy was my fourth ranked WR in the draft. I also had him rated as a first round pick, and I thought he was an absolute steal where the Packers drafted him.

Packers WR Randall Cobb caught three passes for 60 yards in Saturday's preseason opener. Cobb also racked up 58 yards on two kick returns.

The rookie dazzled out of the slot, making some impressive grabs and flashing game changing speed. His route running clearly needs improvement, but there's no denying that he's the heir apparent to Donald Driver. Considering his talent and Driver's injury history, Cobb could have a late season fantasy impact.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baldwin struggling doesn't surprise me. To me he's a Taylor Mays type in terms of high physical talent vs low (or projected) football talent. I heard Hankerson was having trouble with the dropsies, but I still like him better than Baldwin.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Baldwin was dead to me after the Miami - Pitt game. Before that game I thought he could be a good one. But after miami put a Chris Brown like beating on Baldwin & the Wanstache I became very sceptical. Just seems like an underachiever to me.

I could be wrong. One thing he doens't lack is talent. He's a boom or bust kind of prospect. He's not one of my favouries though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I'm really surprised someone could say Newton was more impressive than Locker. He didn't impress me at all. I think pass rushers are gonna be all over that slower windup. The only people he seems to have impressed, IMO, are the people at ESPN who are in a monistary somewhere praying night & day that he becomes a star.

Locker
was my favourite QB in this draft class by far, and I would've been ok with the Niners drafting him. However, the one thing I want to see before I call him a success is consistency. He'll look like Tom Brady on one quarter and then Alex Smith the next.

Last edited by a moderator: