• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie Watch

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HOUSTON -- Rookie QB Greg McElroy said he felt a little bit sore after the game. No wonder. He played three quarters, attempted 39 passes, took five sacks and countless other hits. He was one of the big stories in the Jets' 20-16 loss to the Texans.

McElroy, a seventh-round pick from Alabama, started slowly, fumbling on a strip sack on his first possession. He settled down and wound up leading the offense to two field goals and a touchdown.

"I was really nervous -- naturally, I suppose," he said. "It's kind of funny. My first start in college, I started 2-for-12 with a pick against Virginia Tech and we were able to answer back. The great thing is, I was able to get with Mark (Sanchez) and Bru (Mark Brunell) at halftime and talk to them and use them as resources. It slowed down for me in the second half and I thought we played well."

McElroy almost pulled out the game. After the Texans went ahead 20-16 with 1:56 to play, McElroy got the ball at his 24 and drove to the Houston 20. He nearly had a 46-yard touchdown pass to rookie WR Michael Campbell with 55 seconds left, but Campbell dropped it in the end zone.

On the final play, McElroy made a mental error, scrambling out of the pocket as time ran out and running 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. He was flagged for an illegal forward pass, and that was that. Game.

McElroy played so much because Brunell sat with a finger injury.

McElroy: Tough cookie, one brainlock - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

Greg, maybe that's due to the fact that the lesser talented players (slower, weaker, etc.) were in for the opposing defense by that time.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rookies to watch tonight
Jalil Brown vs Ravens
Pat Devlin (Kind of down on him after his 1st game) vs Panthers
Kendric Burney vs Dolphins
Delone Carter, Ben Ijalana, and Chad Spann vs Redskins
Leonard Hankerson vs Colts
Julio Jones vs Jaguars
Ryan Williams vs Green bay
Randall Cobb vs Cardinals

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gabby NOT starting.
---
On a random note, Jason Hill is going to make the 49ers regret releasing him

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins announced Friday that second-round pick Jarvis Jenkins would start their second preseason game over Adam Carriker.

Carriker was one of the Skins' few defenders to hold his own last season, but Jenkins has looked beastly in camp. The rookie will start at left end, across from Stephen Bowen. Washington's front seven will be much improved this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I heard extremely good things about Phil the gap Taylor on the radio. Not many doubt his ability to play extremely well; they doubt his ability to stay healthy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I could've sworn the play by play guy in the Chiefs' game called Allen Bailey for a hold... on offense. Did he switch positions?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
-Prior to tonight, the Rams defensive line had zero sacks in the preseason, but defensive ends Robert Quinn and James Hall were both able to record a sack each. The front four looked less like the pushovers we saw last week and more like the line we were expecting to see in 2011.

-On top of Robert Quinn’s quarterback sack, he also came up big with a blocked field-goal in the second half. It’s good to see the Rams’ 2011 first-round pick making some plays in the preseason.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Quinn looked really good. Very quick off the snap, which was the one worry I had about him (aside from the tumor of course).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn is extremely overrated, IMO. I'm more scared of their other rookie, Kendricks.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Quinn is extremely overrated, IMO. I'm more scared of their other rookie, Kendricks.

Certainly when assessing the two, we will notice that Lance will have a more immediate impact as rookies. RBs and TEs are easier positions to transition into in the pros coming out of college in comparison to DL, CB, QB, OL, and DE. If we still have the old 9ers thread (saved draft messages) you would noticed that I never bashed Aldon Smith as soon as we had made that selection. All I said was in terms of criticizing that pick was, I would have much preferred Robert Quinn ahead of Aldon Smith because I thought (and still do) that Quinn would have made a much better OLB in our scheme. Almost like a Lamar Woodley type of OLB. Going back to the Kendrics and Quinn situation, within two years from now Quinn will be regarded as a much move valuable player to that team. Quinn is younger and has more of an upside...!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it. Watching some of the Seahawks game and my boy Doug Baldwin returned a kickoff 105 yards for a TD. Sigh. I still can't believe he didn't get drafted.