• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie Watch

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First-round pick Jonathan Baldwin has reportedly shown an "absolute inability" to deal with press coverage so far in Chiefs camp.

Observed Nick Wright of 610 Kansas City, "When he's been jammed, I haven't seen him catch one." Wright concedes that Baldwin has impressed when faced with off coverage, but defensive coordinators aren't dumb enough to let him get a running start. It's notable that the K.C. Star has predicted Jerheme Urban will start opposite Dwayne Bowe this season. Steve Breaston would be the slot receiver, relegating Baldwin to a No. 4 receiver role.

The Titans plan to get rookie Jake Locker some first-team reps in each of their four preseason games.

"We will probably take Matt (Hasselbeck) out sooner, and leave (Locker) in there with the first group," said coach Mike Munchak. Early reports on Locker have been as expected; he's a gym rat, student of the game, and throws well on the run. He hasn't impressed when asked to stand in the pocket and make accurate throws. Hasselbeck is locked in as the starter barring injury.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie Leonard Hankerson has reportedly continued to struggle with drops at Redskins training camp.

According to Rich Campbell of the Washington Times, "the frequency at which he drops passes is a bit stunning." Hankerson had one drop Wednesday, and another report stated that he had two on Tuesday. Redskins beat writers have all taken note of Hankerson's talent, but he won't play early if he can't catch the ball.

Rookie WR Titus Young (leg) still hasn't put in a full day of practice since Lions training camp began.

Young tried some limited drills Tuesday, but he was back in the trainer's room for Wednesday's practice. At this point, we're not sure Young is even a lock to open the year as Detroit's third receiver. He's got weeks to stay ahead of Rashied Davis and Derrick Williams, but needs to get over the hump first.

The Chicago Sun Times suggests that rookie Dane Sanzenbacher is already "closing the gap" on Earl Bennett to be the Bears' slot receiver.

Asked to name his primary slot man Wednesday, WRs coach Darryl Drake replied "Bennett -- for now." Sanzenbacher is a "gamer" like old Mike Martz disciples Mike Furrey and Ricky Proehl, so it's easy to imagine the undrafted rookie appealing to Chicago's coaches. With no tight end production to speak of and worsening outside wideouts, keep a close eye on the Bears' slot position.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to SI.com's Peter King, the Lions are "confident" that rookie DT Nick Fairley (foot surgery) will be ready for Week 1.

Team doctors believe a month for Fairley's stress fracture to heal should be sufficient. We won't see him during the preseason. "This gives him time to heal the right way," said coach Jim Schwartz. "And to be fully confident of everything on defense by the time he gets back." The Lions' top three tackles to open the year will be Ndamukong Suh, Corey Williams, and Sammie Hill.

The Bucs plan to ease in rookie Mason Foster as a two-down middle linebacker, playing only in base defensive packages.

Sam 'backer Quincy Black is the Mike in nickel packages. Foster is being eased in similar to how Curtis Lofton was in Atlanta. Foster is athletic enough to be an asset in coverage, but he'll be a mediocre IDP option until he earns the every-down job. We still suspect it will happen sooner rather than later.

Jake Locker will get first-team reps | ProFootballTalk

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sucks that Titus Young is injured, he's a great player.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sucks that Titus Young is injured, he's a great player.

I really liked him in that situation, too. Hopefully he'll recover quickly and move up the depth chart like I expected him to.

PWilly52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a little off topic...but speaking on the Lions is Stafford healthy this year?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked him in that situation, too. Hopefully he'll recover quickly and move up the depth chart like I expected him to.

yeah, I can see him really being a major help to the Lions offense if he gets healthy, think about it pairing a fast sure handed reciever next to a dominant reciever like Calvin Johnson.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to multiple reports and Stafford himself he's 100% healthy. We'll see how that holds up.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a little off topic...but speaking on the Lions is Stafford healthy this year?

so far

they didn't draft any linemen so don't expect it to remain that way.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice! I was too lazy to recreate this thread.
Few thoughts:

Baldwin - How can you be so big and not be able to get off of press coverage(Probably Jalil Brown making him look bad)? I never was high on Baldwin - due to his poor route running - but if he can't get off the line of scrimmage he might as well hang up the pads now.

Hankerson - I think he's a No.2 receiver in this league. He has always had butterfingers in college. If I'm the Redskins I make him play through his drops, hopefully he gets some confidence in his hands, because as the article says he has, "talent".

Sanzenbacher - Hmm I don't know if he's better than Earl Bennett. I know the guy is going to be a good slot receiver, but Bennett is really underrated.

Locker - This guy his horrible. Wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the preseason in INTs :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin's single biggest weakness coming out of Pittsburgh was beating the press, so I'm not surprised to see that it has followed him to the pros. That and his character concerns were the two biggest reasons why I had him as a 3rd/4th round prospect in the draft. I think he'll be one of those guys who'll have a couple of really good games a season to make people think he'll eventually figure out and become a true #1 but never does.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Baldwin's single biggest weakness coming out of Pittsburgh was beating the press, so I'm not surprised to see that it has followed him to the pros. That and his character concerns were the two biggest reasons why I had him as a 3rd/4th round prospect in the draft. I think he'll be one of those guys who'll have a couple of really good games a season to make people think he'll eventually figure out and become a true #1 but never does.

So you calling him a Malcom Floyd?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Ingram(notes) – At first glance, New Orleans appears to be an enriching place for RBs – superb passing offense, stout offensive line. But Sean Payton is shady. His rotating RB strategy says exercise caution. Ingram is unquestionably talented, but there are no guarantees he will be the guy in critical situations (e.g. at the goal line). Daniel Thomas(notes) is this year’s fantasy ROY.

10 players I hate more than you - Fantasy - Yahoo! Sports

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Jim Harbaugh says second-round pick Colin Kaepernick is the most "game-ready" of all the 49ers' rookies.

First-rounder Aldon Smith is a college end moving to linebacker and third-rounder Chris Culliver is a college safety moving to cornerback, so the competition isn't exactly super stiff. Still, it's impressive that Kaepernick has come along so quickly after playing in a Pistol Spread offense at Nevada. "I think he's really ready," said Harbaugh. "He's done a fabulous job."

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the odds kap gets 1st team reps in preseason?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read, Alex Smith is getting the 1st quarter... Kaep is getting the 2nd and 3rd Quarters.

Doesn't sound like 1st team reps to me.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Players who I had in my final 49er mock draft

Ryan Mallett - Can’t question the arm strength that Ryan Mallett, the Patriots’ surprising third-round draft pick, brings to the equation, but his feet are getting so much attention you’d think Rex Ryan was the head coach. Members of the coaching staff work with Mallett’s footwork in earnest on a daily basis.

Read more: A breakdown of the Patriots? positional battles as preseason play begins - Brockton, MA - The Enterprise

Ben Ijalana - The team’s top two draft picks, Anthony Castonzo and Ben Ijalana, are running with the second team now.
Can Colts young tackles start soon? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN
Jalil Brown - N/A
Kendrick Ellis - N/A
Kendric Burney - However, UDFA Kendric Burney has been a pleasant surprise and could become the team's nickel or starting cornerback this season.
Carolina Panthers 2011 Defensive Preview | Bleacher Report
Tyler Sash - Rookie safety Tyler Sash is going to be some kind of player.

Again, he hasn’t made a live tackle in the NFL yet and I’m already penciling him in as a 10-year veteran. I know, crazy talk. But I can’t help it. To see him be in the right place so often in a year where the rookies had no offseason workouts, OTAs or minicamps is quite remarkable.

And I think the coaching staff feels the same way because Sash got some first-team reps on Sunday night. At first, I thought Kenny Phillips was hurt or resting his knee, but he went back out there later on. Frankly, I think Sash was already being rewarded for some outstanding practices.

Giants rookie safety Tyler Sash gets reps with the first-team defense in training-camp practice | NJ.com

Lestar Jean - Along with Dorin Dickerson two of the undrafted free agents signed at the start of free agency are making the most of their opportunities. Terrance Tolliver and Lestar Jean are two players that are catching his eye. Coach Kubiak went as far as to say about the duo and the battle for the fourth and fifth wide receiver positions.
Flashing Daryl Sharpton, Texans Lestar Jean and Terrance Tolliver Get a Shot Toro Times | A Houston Texans Blog
Chad Spann - @footballrookies "Indianapolis Colts RB Chad Spann is our top ranked undrafted back this year, he might be used as a returner this year #FantasyFootball #NFL"
Jamari Lattimore - N/A
Kicker - ???
Richard Sherman - N/A