• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie Watch

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach Jim Harbaugh says second-round pick Colin Kaepernick is the most "game-ready" of all the 49ers' rookies.

First-rounder Aldon Smith is a college end moving to linebacker and third-rounder Chris Culliver is a college safety moving to cornerback, so the competition isn't exactly super stiff. Still, it's impressive that Kaepernick has come along so quickly after playing in a Pistol Spread offense at Nevada. "I think he's really ready," said Harbaugh. "He's done a fabulous job."

I don't want to do it.. get too excited early. I know it's probably coachspeak but Harbaugh raves cannot be a bad thing.

I know they have Aldon Smith as a speed rush guy but I think he'll match up well against TEs from the LB spot.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a rarity for Marvin Lewis to place a rookie first team on the depth chart, but he has two on the first one of this season — A.J. Green and Andy Dalton. With Dalton at first string, that places him one step closer to being the first rookie QB to start an opener for the Bengals in 42 years.

Said Dalton on being named at the top of the depth chart: “There’s still a lot of camp left but it means a lot that they would go ahead and put that up there. I think it just shows that I’ve been working hard and hopefully I can keep improving and keep my name up there.”

“I think it shows they have confidence in me. I don’t think they would have drafted me if they didn’t have that confidence. I’ve just tried to come in here and take all of the coaching that I can get and go apply it to what we’re doing out here on the field. Hopefully I can keep doing that and keep improving every day and hopefully make this team win a lot of ball games.”

Dalton said the coaching staff has not told him how much he will play Friday in Detroit, but Lewis indicated that it would be longer than what he usually plays starters in the first game. Two years ago at New Orleans it was 20 snaps.

Monday’s practice was a little bit of a rollercoaster, Dalton had a couple nice passes to Jerome Simpson but also led Brian Leonard too far on one pass which led to a Rey Maualuga interception.

“I think a lot of people are excited. It’s not just A.J. doing a lot of things that he’s done. It’s Jerome, Shipley and some of these other receivers. It’s great to see all of them getting in and getting some action,” Dalton said.

NFL.com news: Dalton era in Cincy? Rookie is No. 1 on team's depth chart

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Ingram(notes) – At first glance, New Orleans appears to be an enriching place for RBs – superb passing offense, stout offensive line. But Sean Payton is shady. His rotating RB strategy says exercise caution. Ingram is unquestionably talented, but there are no guarantees he will be the guy in critical situations (e.g. at the goal line). Daniel Thomas(notes) is this year’s fantasy ROY.

10 players I hate more than you - Fantasy - Yahoo! Sports

I can totally see that. I expect Ingram to be a first and second down RB for NO to start off but not get the opps for TD's and 3rd down play.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kevin Seifert
How will Ponder respond?

"The unofficial depth chart the Vikings released Tuesday, in fact, puts Ponder at No. 3. Coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday that he expects Webb to run the second team in the team's preseason opener this weekend. ... I think this is a very important time in our early assessment of Ponder. Vikings coaches want to see how he reacts to the trade that brought McNabb in to start ahead of him. Will Ponder relax and put his development on cruise control? Will he display a new level of competitiveness?"

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gabbert's big chance
12:05 PM ET
Jacksonville Jaguars
We learned on Wednesday that Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert will get the start in the team's preseason opener on Thursday thanks to David Garrard's sore back. But what about beyond that?

In the opinion of ESPN's John Clayton, Thursday's opponent will provide a sharp dose of reality to the No. 10 overall pick:

- Tim Kavanagh

John Clayton
This will be a big test for Blaine

"Gabbert has impressed the coaches with his physical presence. He's big. He has a strong arm. He's mobile. But he's also raw and will be going against a talented Bill Belichick defense."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pryor's big day
8:11 AM ET
Terrelle Pryor | Interested: Raiders?, Browns?
UPDATE: Curiously, the NFL has still not made a decision regarding Terrelle Pryor's eligibility for the supplemental draft, an event that's taking place on Aug. 17 (i.e. next Wednesday).

The league has, however, notified teams that former UGA running back Caleb King is eligible, making their feet-dragging on Pryor puzzling.

---

UPDATE: According to what a source has told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Cleveland Browns will be amongst the teams represented in attendance at Pryor's pro day this Friday. The paper's Mary Kay Cabot reports that the team has already performed due diligence on Pryor.

---

An interesting turn of events on the Terrelle Pryor front. According to ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, the NFL has notified teams that the supplemental draft will take place on Aug. 17 if there are any eligible players available. Mort adds that there's been no determination yet on Pryor's eligibility. If he isn't deemed eligible, he'll have to wait until the regular draft in April 2012.

Pryor tweeted "Supplemental Draft August 17!!" upon hearing of the development, but as one can tell by clicking that link, he's since deleted the message, replacing it with, "Hopefully considered in on August 17th draft!!"

To that end, Pryor has scheduled a pro day for this Friday, according to Len Pasquarelli of the Sports Xchange. Obviously, the NFL's decision on Pryor's eligibility will have an effect on the attendance at the event, and whether it occurs at all.

Looking back over our previous posts on Pryor, the teams that make the most sense are the ones with viable NFL starters already in place; these teams can afford to wait a season or two to develop the Ohio State product.

And let's not forget that ESPN NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper, Jr. doesn't necessarily foresee Pryor as a QB at all:

- Tim Kavanagh

Mel Kiper, Jr.
Tough to see him excelling as an NFL QB
"Pryor the athlete -- as a wideout, as a tight end -- is a tantalizing thought. You can see the matchup problems in your mind. But as a quarterback, significant hurdles remain. It's a decision he will have to make. On the bright side, it might pale in comparison to some of the worries he'll now be leaving behind."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Green wowing teammates, coaches at training camp

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – Bengals receivers coach James Urban was around some very good receivers during his seven seasons as an assistant with the Eagles. When it comes to assessing A.J. Green’s first week of practice, even Urban had to admit that he has not seen a first week display like the one Green has put on.

“DeSean (Jackson), with his skill set he started wowing you once he got into games. Not that he didn’t catch your eye and everything, but A.J.’s size and length and speed and the whole package physically can wow you,” Urban said.

During Friday night’s practice at Georgetown College, Green, the fourth overall pick in this year’s draft has made the hard catches look routine. He put on another highlight performance as he made two more difficult catches look easy.

On the last play of an 11-on-11 drill, Andy Dalton’s deep pass down the left sideline was at least three yards overthrown, but Green stretched out and made a diving grab near the 10.

Later in the practice, he hauled in a Bruce Gradkowski 40-yard throw in the end zone as he was being covered by Morgan Trent and Rico Murray.

Those are just two more plays in a collection which most receivers would be happy to have for an entire training camp.

Even with the diving catch, Green felt like he could do better.

“It was not one of my best. I can do that pretty much 9 out of 10 times,” Green said. “It’s nice making a big play in front of my teammates.”

When asked what could have made the catch better, Green said: “I probably could have scored on it. I probably should have stayed up and tried to run through it, but I chose to dive. I was a little tired.”

With a rookie quarterback in Dalton and plenty of youth at the skill positions, having a receiver with the large catching radius that Green possesses is a definite asset. Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese noted that with Green a quarterback’s margin of error is greater and that can be a little off and that Green will fix it most of the time.

Most of the highlight catches from Dalton to Green have been long passes, but they have also hooked up on some intermediate routes as well.

“When you see 1-on-1 with AJ, it’s going to trigger something in you to take a shot down there,” Dalton said. “He’s making outstanding catches. He’s going up, he’s making diving catches, he’s doing it all. It might not always be in the right spot, but he can go get it.”

While the great catches are what have drawn the most attention, it has been the little things that have impressed the coaches. During a blocking drill on Tuesday, Green had the advantage on the defensive backs.

The fact that wide receivers are blocking enthusiastically is enough to put a smile on head coach Marvin Lewis' face, considering that Chad Ochocinco traditionally was among the worst in the AFC in blocking.

“My whole mentality is being physical. It’s an attitude. You have to have the will to do it,” Green said.

Green and Jerome Simpson have been lining up as the starting receivers and that figures to be the case when the Bengals open the preseason next Friday at Detroit.

“I just have to keep staying in the playbook, keep everything fresh and knowing my assignments,” Green said. “Definitely coming in being a high pick, some of the vets are like ‘I hope you don’t steal money like some of the other guys.”

Leon Hall, who has been beat by Green a few times including on a double move by Monday, is one who can’t wait to see Green against opposing teams.

“We haven’t had many come in here as talented as he is,” Hall said. “He’s been doing great and I’m really excited to see how he does in the preseason and then going to Cleveland for that first game.”

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't surprise me at all with that rave review of AJ Green. If he was somehow on the board at #7 I would have thrown a tantrum if we didn't take him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DE Robert Quinn: flashes of potential
Quinn missed the first team practice to be at the hospital for the birth of his first son. His second practice was interrupted as well, though not by anything quite so happy. Soreness in his knee, which was apparently tweaked in an offseason workout, cut his work short after just a handful of reps.

Since then, he has slowly worked himself back into the rotation, from sitting to jogging on the sideline to participating in individual drills to limited participation in Sunday's scrimmage. Quinn's traumatic injury history is a two-edged sword: he has also shown the willpower to work his way back from the very worst of diagnoses, so a little joint soreness seems minor by comparison.

Quinn's natural pass-rush ability is already on display, as he gave Rodger Saffold fits in individual drills on Friday and terrorized the second-team offensive line at Lindenwood. It may be some time before he's a "complete" defensive end, but on his current path he'll be a nice contributor on passing downs.

Lance Kendricks: making a name for himself.
The Rams have struck gold in the second round, acquiring Pro-Bowl-caliber talent in 2009 and 2010's drafts in James Laurinaitis and Rodger Saffold. They may have done it again with Lance Kendricks.

Prior to the draft, "Tight End" was somewhere down near "kicker" and "new equipment manager" in our pre-draft position rankings, so it was a huge (and not necessarily pleasant) surprise when Kendricks' name was called by the Rams. Add to that confusion that the initial announcements called him a "fullback"...

Now though, his positional versatility is becoming the talk of camp. Kendricks has lined up and carried the ball as an upback, blocked for the running game as both an H-back and a true tight end, lined up in the slot and split wide with equal verve. And his ability to shed blocks and get vertical in a hurry, combined with his soft hands, is drawing a lot of attention from camp attendees.

Kendricks caught one on a beautiful play-action pass from Sam Bradford in the second half of the Lindenwood scrimmage, one of the highlights of the day and Bradford's fourth touchdown to four different receivers.

Most importantly for the Rams with their recent luck with tight ends, Kendricks has been on the field for nearly every snap with the first team. Meanwhile, Michael Hoomanawanui has missed time with a concussion, Fendi Onobun can't get himself off the third team, and Billy Bajema has quietly been playing himself into a roster spot.

Austin Pettis: just needs to put it all together.
Pettis has been durable and handsy enough to earn first-team reps alongside Brandon Gibson and Danny Amendola, which is both a pleasant surprise and potentially bad news for guys like Donnie Avery and Danario Alexander, who have been watching from the sideline more often than not.

Unfortunately, Pettis did not have a particularly good scrimmage at Lindenwood, reminiscent of Dominic Curry's performance a year ago. He played hard, got a number of reps including on special teams, but made a lot of rookie mistakes along the way. While Pettis' hands are naturally better than Curry's, he didn't show it on Sunday.

More than anyone else so far, Pettis needs to take the positive work from practice and show it on the game field. He will be a player to watch closely in preseason action.

Greg Salas: get him healthy and let him go nuts
In early impressions, no one on the Rams' roster was getting open more consistently than the rangy receiver from Hawaii. Salas displayed outstanding body control and hands while playing at each of the three receiver positions, and might be the biggest competitor for Danny Amendola's lock on playing time in the slot.

However, Salas has been held out for the last three practices "as a precautionary measure" with a tender hamstring, affording him little head-to-head competition with Amendola and other new signees, who only began practice on Thursday.

Coach Spagnuolo has already praised both Pettis and Salas' ability to pick up Josh McDaniels' complex playbook. Now they just need to execute when given the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Come on boom/bust Quinn - I'm hoping you're a Bust!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams has been impressive in camp so far, but RB Beanie Wells still projects as the starter. Williams appears to be a better pure runner than Wells. Williams cuts effortlessly at high speeds, while Wells is more of a downhill runner.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kevin Seifert
How will Ponder respond?

"The unofficial depth chart the Vikings released Tuesday, in fact, puts Ponder at No. 3. Coach Leslie Frazier said Wednesday that he expects Webb to run the second team in the team's preseason opener this weekend. ... I think this is a very important time in our early assessment of Ponder. Vikings coaches want to see how he reacts to the trade that brought McNabb in to start ahead of him. Will Ponder relax and put his development on cruise control? Will he display a new level of competitiveness?"

It's a big mistake to take a guy 12th overall and then bury him 3rd on the depth chart. The Vikings could have went a bunch of different ways for a defensive player if they knew Ray Edwards was going to be let go. That defensive player could have seen the field in his rookie year.

They probably knew they were going after McNabb as well.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's busy holding scooby snacks and a clipboard.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't surprise me at all with that rave review of AJ Green. If he was somehow on the board at #7 I would have thrown a tantrum if we didn't take him.

AJ Green was the best player in the draft the second Andrew Luck decided to stay in school. I had numerous arguments with Crimson I believe about how we should take him at 7 had he fallen, regardless of what happens with Crabtree.