• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo Watch

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is and always has been a far better QB than Alex Smith. Romo's ONLY question is health, when it comes to playing the position, unless your QB is named Brady or Rodgers, Romo is as good or better than what you have on the field at QB
Fair enough, if Romo can play an injury free 16 game schedule. IMO, I would take Alex Smith any day over Romo, playing a 16 game schedule.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, if Romo can play an injury free 16 game schedule. IMO, I would take Alex Smith any day over Romo, playing a 16 game schedule.
Fair as well. But you aren't winning a SB with Smith. Romo would give KC a shot.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair as well. But you aren't winning a SB with Smith. Romo would give KC a shot.

They seem pretty similar in playoffs both 2-4 Smith 12tds/2int 246 yards avg and 94.5 rating Romo 8 tds/2int 219 yards avg 92 rating Smiths no#s are slightly better in each category except win both 33%

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but Romo hadn't won a SB in his career.

"Romo and San Diego's Philip Rivers are the only quarterbacks who own a top 10 passer rating but not a Super Bowl ring. ... Romo has won two playoff games since becoming the Cowboys' starter in 2006, but he has taken the Cowboys to the playoffs in consecutive years just once."

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith just has way too many limitations to his game. He is what you want at QB if you are trying to transition or need time for a rookie to get ready to play but actual long-term solution for any team well not so much. I do think Alex Smith has been a bit underrated by some as he is a top half of the league type QB. He isn't the type of QB though when the lights are brightest that I want to put the team on his back and go out and watch him win a game. He is the type that needs things to stay on schedule and needs his defense to make some plays.

He also is not great in the red zone having I think the 4th worst QB rating among starting QB's when in the red zone. Not a place you want your QB to struggle.
I was curious, looks like among QBs who started at least half his team's games, he was 29th out of 31 QBs. Only Newton and Fitzpatrick (51.6 ouch) were worse. Top 5 was a little surprising with Tannehill, Kaepernick, Brady, Luck, and Mariota. Taylor, Bradford, Rodgers, Ryan, and Kessler round out the top 5. Although Kessler only started 8 games.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent Dilfer record in Super Bowl, 1-0.....Dan Marino record in Super Bowl, 0-1.....
Watching them both play might help...
What the hell does this comment have to do with where Tony Romo might end up? The point was that Romo is no better than Alex Smith in the playoffs. You have to win the playoffs, before you get to the Super Bowl.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell does this comment have to do with where Tony Romo might end up? The point was that Romo is no better than Alex Smith in the playoffs. You have to win the playoffs, before you get to the Super Bowl.
Romo is a Hell of a lot better than Alex Smith, it has everything to do with whether or not KC would have a better chance to win a championship with Romo. Posting their career playoff records has jack shit to do with what kind of players they are now

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kansas City has a much better defense than pretty much any year that Romo had in Dallas except for 2009. That was the one year that Romo had a decent defense to fall back on and they made the playoffs and won in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Most QB's have shown that they need more than just them to go win a Super Bowl or even just win in the playoffs. Tom Brady has never won a Super Bowl when his defense finished outside I think the top-7 in scoring defense.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL #9 Tony Romo - ESPN

Denver, KC and Houston make the most sense. Is there anywhere else he could land that would give him a shot at a championship.

KC doesn't make sense to me.

Houston seems the most likely landing place.

A wildcard is Washington if they cannot sign Cousins.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is a Hell of a lot better than Alex Smith, it has everything to do with whether or not KC would have a better chance to win a championship with Romo. Posting their career playoff records has jack shit to do with what kind of players they are now
To be fair, Romo hasn't been Romo since 2014 and using 2014 to project 2017 isnt an exact science.

I do think KC would have a better chance with Romo but the NFL is super complex and its never that simple.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo's playoff record 2-4. Alex Smith's playoff record 2-4.
No two games are the same. I can't speak for Smith, but I think Romo lost one playoff game in which his team was favored in and that was to a team that went on to beat a NE team that many were saying was the best ever...before TB and they lost to the Giants too.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City has a much better defense than pretty much any year that Romo had in Dallas except for 2009. That was the one year that Romo had a decent defense to fall back on and they made the playoffs and won in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Most QB's have shown that they need more than just them to go win a Super Bowl or even just win in the playoffs. Tom Brady has never won a Super Bowl when his defense finished outside I think the top-7 in scoring defense.
Good comment and I agree that a good defense is a big part of a team getting to the Super Bowl.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No two games are the same. I can't speak for Smith, but I think Romo lost one playoff game in which his team was favored in and that was to a team that went on to beat a NE team that many were saying was the best ever...before TB and they lost to the Giants too.
Yeah, but Romo is still 2-4 in playoffs games. That is just a fact.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith just has way too many limitations to his game. He is what you want at QB if you are trying to transition or need time for a rookie to get ready to play but actual long-term solution for any team well not so much. I do think Alex Smith has been a bit underrated by some as he is a top half of the league type QB. He isn't the type of QB though when the lights are brightest that I want to put the team on his back and go out and watch him win a game. He is the type that needs things to stay on schedule and needs his defense to make some plays.

He also is not great in the red zone having I think the 4th worst QB rating among starting QB's when in the red zone. Not a place you want your QB to struggle.
Big issue with Alex Smith is that he simply doesn't push the ball down the field. You give Alex Smith a soft zone and he'll tear you up. You give him tight coverage in small spaces (red zone) and Alex Smith the game manager becomes Alex Smith the complete and total liability.

When Smith is mobile and using his legs, he is an above average starting level QB and when he isnt using his legs he is fairly replaceable.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Career playoff records mean quite a bit, if you are talking about Romo leading a team to the playoffs and then winning the Super Bowl. Plus, can a team count on Romo playing all 16 games?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Career playoff records mean quite a bit, if you are talking about Romo leading a team to the playoffs and then winning the Super Bowl. Plus, can a team count on Romo playing all 16 games?
to the bolded. No they really don't. It's a team game and Every situation is different. It's a game by game comparison.
to the underlined. Correct and that is why the Cowboys aren't likely to get knocked over with a great offer and why Romo is such a question mark.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has never had anything close to the defense KC has. How many points per game would Romo have to put up to win there? He wouldn't have to go out and throw it 50 times a game.
Everytime I watched KC lose last year, all they needed was competent QB play and they win easily. I think Houston, then Denver, then KC would be great with Romo. Good chance he can stay healthy when he can simply get an early lead, let his defense dominate, and then hand it off the entire second half

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has never had anything close to the defense KC has. How many points per game would Romo have to put up to win there? He wouldn't have to go out and throw it 50 times a game.
Everytime I watched KC lose last year, all they needed was competent QB play and they win easily. I think Houston, then Denver, then KC would be great with Romo. Good chance he can stay healthy when he can simply get an early lead, let his defense dominate, and then hand it off the entire second half
Fair enough, we will see where Romo will play this coming season.