• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo Watch

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, 2017 Chiefs defense could go either direction. There are some serious run defense issues

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the KC-Romo talk is flattering in theory, the big elephant in the room is Romo's health. And if it's not a 0-Something% as compared to a 10-12% bump for the SB, I got to really question the utility of signing (I expect a release) Romo in the offseason. That's not me being an apologist for Smith- I just don't think it's commensurate to the cap expenditure and corresponding losses to do so.

Upgrade the mediocre run defense for instance and it's very plausible the Chiefs would have beaten the Titans and the Steelers in the playoffs. For all of the talk of can Smith win a SB- the Chiefs were the 2 seed and have been pretty consistently among the better teams in DVOA with Smith (not neccessarily because; but he's not sabotaging it per se either) and have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, with winning seasons every year. Have a deeper pool of CB's and maybe you don't have a situation where Tampa Bay never has to punt and control the game. Maybe you don't let the Steelers run wild in the first meeting.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, 2017 Chiefs defense could go either direction. There are some serious run defense issues
If Chris Jones learns how to utilize leverage I think he could be the next Fletcher Cox. For a guy who was anything but a polished product on the field in terms of technique he was astonishingly effective- and strong. I still believe 2015-16 Poe is pretty replaceable as far as run D goes since his back has become problematic. I think your basic premise is correct though that the as whole- the defense could go either direction. Re-signing Berry ought to be an imperative if there is going to be any serious attempt to complete the defense via the draft. Malik Hooker will not be dropping to 27.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the KC-Romo talk is flattering in theory, the big elephant in the room is Romo's health. And if it's not a 0-Something% as compared to a 10-12% bump for the SB, I got to really question the utility of signing (I expect a release) Romo in the offseason. That's not me being an apologist for Smith- I just don't think it's commensurate to the cap expenditure and corresponding losses to do so.

Upgrade the mediocre run defense for instance and it's very plausible the Chiefs would have beaten the Titans and the Steelers in the playoffs. For all of the talk of can Smith win a SB- the Chiefs were the 2 seed and have been pretty consistently among the better teams in DVOA with Smith (not neccessarily because; but he's not sabotaging it per se either) and have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, with winning seasons every year. Have a deeper pool of CB's and maybe you don't have a situation where Tampa Bay never has to punt and control the game. Maybe you don't let the Steelers run wild in the first meeting.

Agreed. Romo is a nice thought for some teams but I just don't see how you could ever trust that he could last an entire season any longer. His style of play just won't allow it. I did an article on this very thing where I watched every snap over the last 2 years. Now given it is only about 5 games worth of snaps he still only took around 15 hits during that time span. In those 15 hits he suffered 3 major injuries. And within those 15 hits over half of them happened after 3 seconds which is the magic number most QB's have in their head of when to get rid of the football. Romo just wants to be the hero way too often instead of realizing living to play another down is much more important to the team and the entire season.

So on that note yeah I would rather have Alex Smith than that of Romo. I think you stick a guy like Smith on the Broncos with their defense (hopefully a couple of moves this off season helps improve the run defense) and I think he has as good of a shot as any at winning the Super Bowl.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chris Jones learns how to utilize leverage I think he could be the next Fletcher Cox. For a guy who was anything but a polished product on the field in terms of technique he was astonishingly effective- and strong. I still believe 2015-16 Poe is pretty replaceable as far as run D goes since his back has become problematic. I think your basic premise is correct though that the as whole- the defense could go either direction. Re-signing Berry ought to be an imperative if there is going to be any serious attempt to complete the defense via the draft. Malik Hooker will not be dropping to 27.

I hate that some Bronco fans keep wanting Poe. This isn't the same guy from a couple of years ago before the injuries set in. And back issues don't get better over time for players. ACL's plenty of players have come back even stronger than before the injury. Broken bones not usually an issue. The debilitating injuries still though are the back injuries and foot injuries it seems like.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Romo plays somewhere other than Dallas. I think he's fairly cheap at 14M and goes to a place where there would be an adequate back-up. I still rate the teams as Houston, Denver followed by KC.
We'll see soon enough. :nod:

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Romo plays somewhere other than Dallas. I think he's fairly cheap at 14M and goes to a place where there would be an adequate back-up. I still rate the teams as Houston, Denver followed by KC.
Does Dallas need to wait until June 1st to release him?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No...Teams can designate I think 2 players that they cut early with Post June 1st cut designation.
yes, as of like 3/9 or 3/10 they can do so

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas has to carry Romo's cap hit until 6/1/17 regardless. If he is released prior to 6/1 it will be with a post 6/1 designation. And this will only be as a favor to Romo, as it adds zero benefit for Dallas. Just can't see Dallas eating all the dead money in 2017, although I wouldn't mind it.

Still think a trade happens in June.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas has to carry Romo's cap hit until 6/1/17 regardless. If he is released prior to 6/1 it will be with a post 6/1 designation. And this will only be as a favor to Romo, as it adds zero benefit for Dallas. Just can't see Dallas eating all the dead money in 2017, although I wouldn't mind it.

Still think a trade happens in June.

Well if Jerry really is good friends with Tony Romo he wouldn't do that to him. He would release him as soon as the Post June-1st early release can happen so he can find the right team and get to work.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City has a much better defense than pretty much any year that Romo had in Dallas except for 2009. That was the one year that Romo had a decent defense to fall back on and they made the playoffs and won in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Most QB's have shown that they need more than just them to go win a Super Bowl or even just win in the playoffs. Tom Brady has never won a Super Bowl when his defense finished outside I think the top-7 in scoring defense.

They were outside top 7 just 2 years ago but not sure on all the ones in the early 2000's. It helps the D when your QB doesn't turn the ball over alot and gives them time to rest and not giving opposition short field. In the 12 games that Brady started this year in reg season he only had 2 t/o's. 2 int and 0 recovered fumbles. Unfortunately had had a few vs Houston in playoffs and a huge pick 6 vs Atl

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were outside top 7 just 2 years ago but not sure on all the ones in the early 2000's. It helps the D when your QB doesn't turn the ball over alot and gives them time to rest and not giving opposition short field. In the 12 games that Brady started this year in reg season he only had 2 t/o's. 2 int and 0 recovered fumbles. Unfortunately had had a few vs Houston in playoffs and a huge pick 6 vs Atl

I'm not saying that Brady doesn't help out the defense. Of course he does. His Super Bowls have come though usually with a strong defense and some kind of run game to help take some pressure off of him. The Patriots have always been one of the best of assembling a strong roster from top to bottom and not just relying on a HOF QB to get it done week in and week out for them. Yes he does that most weeks which is just an added bonus but they have shown they can win sometimes even if he is having an off day like against Houston in the playoffs.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Jerry really is good friends with Tony Romo he wouldn't do that to him. He would release him as soon as the Post June-1st early release can happen so he can find the right team and get to work.

Or Jerry could be on the phones right now looking for trading partners that Romo finds suitable? This whole situation is a two way street, Dallas doesn't owe Romo anymore than he owes to Dallas - the Cowboys have made Tony a very rich man, and he is still under contract. If a trade is what is best for Dallas, and Romo can be appeased, then I believe that is what will happen. No one is saying Romo will get shipped off to the Browns, but I believe a happy median can be found. And it would be foolish for Dallas to not make every effort to do so. If those efforts fail, then sure, Romo will probably be released.

There is zero EVIDENCE at this point in time that Romo will be released.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just about ready to eliminate KC from everything I'm hearing. I think the locker room wouldn't want it to happen, the owner is behind Alex Smith, Dorsey is probably really wanting to draft a QB and Andy Reid probably thinks he can win it all with an average QB.

I, too, think Houston is the favorite.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
I'm not saying that Brady doesn't help out the defense. Of course he does. His Super Bowls have come though usually with a strong defense and some kind of run game to help take some pressure off of him. The Patriots have always been one of the best of assembling a strong roster from top to bottom and not just relying on a HOF QB to get it done week in and week out for them. Yes he does that most weeks which is just an added bonus but they have shown they can win sometimes even if he is having an off day like against Houston in the playoffs.

I know you didn't , just saying that the Pat's don't need a top 7 D to win a SB. He usually does really well against tough D, having the biggest 2nd half comeback 2 years ago, down by 10 in 4th Q vs Seattle and we all know the 25 point comeback with a little over a Q left. He just seems to struggle at Denver as you know and vs the Giants. Houston had the no#1 ranked D and for a good reason, even with Watt out, thank goodness they didn't have a good offense and Brock as QB or Pats could have been out in that game because of the 2 t/o's by Brady. And some poster's considered them dead in playoffs as soon as Gronk was out for season

Top 15 QB with 4th Q comebacks in playoffs

Tom Brady 7 2000-2016 nwe View Comebacks
2 Joe Montana+ 5 1979-1994 2TM View Comebacks
3 Russell Wilson 4 2012-2016 sea View Comebacks
Eli Manning 4 2004-2016 nyg View Comebacks
John Elway+ 4 1983-1998 den View Comebacks
Terry Bradshaw+ 4 1970-1983 pit View Comebacks
7 Dan Fouts+ 3 1973-1987 sdg View Comebacks
Dan Marino+ 3 1983-1999 mia View Comebacks
Ben Roethlisberger 3 2004-2016 pit View Comebacks
Ken Stabler+ 3 1970-1984 2TM View Comebacks
11 Drew Brees 2 2001-2016 2TM View Comebacks
Randall Cunningham 2 1985-2001 2TM View Comebacks
Brett Favre+ 2 1991-2010 2TM View Comebacks
Matt Hasselbeck 2 1999-2015 sea View Comebacks
Jeff Hostetler 2 1985-1997

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Jerry could be on the phones right now looking for trading partners that Romo finds suitable? This whole situation is a two way street, Dallas doesn't owe Romo anymore than he owes to Dallas - the Cowboys have made Tony a very rich man, and he is still under contract. If a trade is what is best for Dallas, and Romo can be appeased, then I believe that is what will happen. No one is saying Romo will get shipped off to the Browns, but I believe a happy median can be found. And it would be foolish for Dallas to not make every effort to do so. If those efforts fail, then sure, Romo will probably be released.

There is zero EVIDENCE at this point in time that Romo will be released.

Zero Evidence? Hmmm...Let's just look at this logically.

1) Even after all the restructures to players the Cowboys still only have around $4 million in cap space. That is maybe enough to pay for their draft and that is about it. They need some more cap space to realistically do anything in FA and still have some left over for emergency money. Most teams keep about $5 million in emergency money.

So all that means that a post June-1st cut would make a ton of sense for the Cowboys. If they trade him they do not get the cap space they would want/need as the hit would all have to be taken this season.

2) Teams all know that the Cowboys are not going to keep Romo on their roster. So there is very little incentive for teams to trade for him at this time when he can be cut and they can negotiate his contract to better be what the team would want.

3) There are plenty of articles out there having Romo having told people that the Cowboys have told him he is getting cut.

Report: Tony Romo expects to be cut not traded

There are other articles out there stating the same thing but figure that is a good starting spot for you.

So to sit here and say there is "zero EVIDENCE" is just flat out wrong.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I

I know you didn't , just saying that the Pat's don't need a top 7 D to win a SB. He usually does really well against tough D, having the biggest 2nd half comeback 2 years ago, down by 10 in 4th Q vs Seattle and we all know the 25 point comeback with a little over a Q left. He just seems to struggle at Denver as you know and vs the Giants. Houston had the no#1 ranked D and for a good reason, even with Watt out, thank goodness they didn't have a good offense and Brock as QB or Pats could have been out in that game because of the 2 t/o's by Brady. And some poster's considered them dead in playoffs as soon as Gronk was out for season

Top 15 QB with 4th Q comebacks in playoffs

Tom Brady 7 2000-2016 nwe View Comebacks
2 Joe Montana+ 5 1979-1994 2TM View Comebacks
3 Russell Wilson 4 2012-2016 sea View Comebacks
Eli Manning 4 2004-2016 nyg View Comebacks
John Elway+ 4 1983-1998 den View Comebacks
Terry Bradshaw+ 4 1970-1983 pit View Comebacks
7 Dan Fouts+ 3 1973-1987 sdg View Comebacks
Dan Marino+ 3 1983-1999 mia View Comebacks
Ben Roethlisberger 3 2004-2016 pit View Comebacks
Ken Stabler+ 3 1970-1984 2TM View Comebacks
11 Drew Brees 2 2001-2016 2TM View Comebacks
Randall Cunningham 2 1985-2001 2TM View Comebacks
Brett Favre+ 2 1991-2010 2TM View Comebacks
Matt Hasselbeck 2 1999-2015 sea View Comebacks
Jeff Hostetler 2 1985-1997

Ok sorry I was wrong on top-7 D. It was top-8 Scoring defense. They were 8th in 2014, 1st this past season, 1st in 2003, 2nd in 2004, and 6th in 2001.

And yes I know Brady has been great with 4th quarter comebacks and all of that. I don't think me saying though that he has benefitted from having talent around him is taking away from his HOF career at all. Just shows he not only has combined him being an incredible player with being in the right place at the right time with a HOF coach and lots of great talent on the team. Again that is what it takes to continue to be on top.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero Evidence? Hmmm...Let's just look at this logically.

1) Even after all the restructures to players the Cowboys still only have around $4 million in cap space. That is maybe enough to pay for their draft and that is about it. They need some more cap space to realistically do anything in FA and still have some left over for emergency money. Most teams keep about $5 million in emergency money.

So all that means that a post June-1st cut would make a ton of sense for the Cowboys. If they trade him they do not get the cap space they would want/need as the hit would all have to be taken this season.

2) Teams all know that the Cowboys are not going to keep Romo on their roster. So there is very little incentive for teams to trade for him at this time when he can be cut and they can negotiate his contract to better be what the team would want.

3) There are plenty of articles out there having Romo having told people that the Cowboys have told him he is getting cut.

Report: Tony Romo expects to be cut not traded

There are other articles out there stating the same thing but figure that is a good starting spot for you.

So to sit here and say there is "zero EVIDENCE" is just flat out wrong.

Rule of 51, Dallas has more than $4m in cap space. As currently positioned they have room for a couple smaller contracts, say in the $3-5m range.

If Romo is traded in June, then the cap hit is split - same as a post 6/1 designation.

Rookies don't need to be signed before June. Absolutely no rule stating that. For example, Byron Jones was signed in June of 2015. Unsigned rookies carry a rookie minimum cap hold ($465,000) until signed. Due to rule of 51 those cap holds won't count against the salary cap.

Emergency money does not come into play in June. That will be something for when trainging camp and the regular season roles around. The Romo money will be well off the books by then.

Your article quotes nothing but unnamed sources. Sorry, does not pass muster.

Last edited: