• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo thoughts

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first 3 plays are kind of picky IMO, but plays 4-6 make me scratch my head

I'm sure if you broke down the games of every losing QB, you will find several plays they miss. Like you said the first three were picky, and if you look closely at play 5 he had a defender barreling down on him. Pictures may not tell the whole truth, the spend of the game isn't shown on those pics. Now the one where he threw to Witten instead of Bryant is kind of a head scratcher.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure if you broke down the games of every losing QB, you will find several plays they miss. Like you said the first three were picky, and if you look closely at play 5 he had a defender barreling down on him. Pictures may not tell the whole truth, the spend of the game isn't shown on those pics. Now the one where he threw to Witten instead of Bryant is kind of a head scratcher.

On that one to Witten , I thought it was interesting what was said about Ryan. Romo had to tip something off that gave it away. You see the ball in his hand and the DB already leaving Dez. Why would you leave Dez free like that. ? I know the percentages probably say he goes to Witten a high number on an out route in a certain down and distance , but the CB to already be breaking down to him and leaving Dez alone??????

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked again. Its hard to really tell if the CB was coming or not in the 1st pic. Maybe his hips were turned to chase Dez and the safety is over the top

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man those pics though, really show how well our WRs are covered in certain spots

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked again. Its hard to really tell if the CB was coming or not in the 1st pic. Maybe his hips were turned to chase Dez and the safety is over the top

I think he did break towards Witten, he did have the safety over the top, but its still a big gainer if Romo reads it right. Maybe even a TD, Dez is hard to bring down and is fairly fast, the safety would have more than likely been overmatch. Maybe Romo is tipping his plays without knowing it, it is something he needs to address by watching film. They say he watches tons of film, so he should catch it if he is.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is not and has never been the problem for the Cowboys. Picture Romo with any team that has a good defense or a decent running game. San Fran. Seattle. KC. He'd tear it up. Now imagine some of the clowns we have at other positions. With the exception of Dez, Witten, Ware and Lee, who would scare you if they played for the Redskins or Eagles?

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stumbled across this yesterday - some may have already seen it but I found it really interesting. It is basically 6 or 7 plays in the NO game in which Romo could have done something different. Basically it makes it look like he isnt seeing the field.

Tony Romo's Slump: Film Don't Lie - Blogging The Boys

That link pretty much depicts exactly what I've been seeing from Romo and criticizing him heavily for. I tape and re-watch every single game. I don't just criticize Romo just to criticize like FRYE does. And some people here blame the coaching staff for some of Dez's lack of targets. That link pretty much explains what has been happening for much of this season. Dez has been doing his job for the most part this year; whether it's successfully drawing double teams, or beating double teams, he's doing it. Dez's impact has been there. Romo is just not getting him the ball.

I believe that surgery in the offseason hurt Romo more than people thought because of the fact that Romo didn't get the usual offseason of workouts that he usually gets. No, his injury wasn't serious like Peyton's neck, but keep in mind after Peyton missed the entire 2011 season, he had an entire offseason of workouts to help him get ready for the 2012 season--even playing in the preseason. Romo did not get his usual offseason workout. Those offseason workouts that Romo missed are just as important to quarterbacks as they are to rookies. I think this was the first time Romo didn't have a full usual offseason of workouts since he's been the starter here. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that's the reason for some of his struggles.

Let's hope that a much-needed bye week helps him get back on the right track and he finishes the season white hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i'm a Romo fan, but this year he hasn't shown us imho that he has what it takes to take the next step and bring this team out of mediocrity. I convinced my self that Romo would silence the critics this year....and he still might. On paper he has been much better, but I personally believe he has become way more conservative then he was in the past and in doing so I personally believe he has regressed. Thats my personal opinion im sure plenty will disagree, but thats just how I see it.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i'm a Romo fan, but this year he hasn't shown us imho that he has what it takes to take the next step and bring this team out of mediocrity. I convinced my self that Romo would silence the critics this year....and he still might. On paper he has been much better, but I personally believe he has become way more conservative then he was in the past and in doing so I personally believe he has regressed. Thats my personal opinion im sure plenty will disagree, but thats just how I see it.

We all have our own opinions, and I'm not downing yours at all, but I do disagree. I like the more conservative Romo, the only problem is, he doesn't have the defense to be conservative. People may laugh at this, but I think Alex Smith is one of the best game managers in the NFL. He plays very conservative, doesn't make a ton of mistakes, and has a defense to back him up. KC is 9 and 0 because of it. Romo may still be making mistakes, but not in the form of dumb turnovers he has made in the past. Yes he made one bad throw in the Denver game, but come on, how many times do you lose a game when you lead your team to 48 points. It is the defense that has regressed, and they have regressed every year for the past three years IMO. I really don't know how people think Romo is suppose to lead his team out of mediocrity with this defense.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all have our own opinions, and I'm not downing yours at all, but I do disagree. I like the more conservative Romo, the only problem is, he doesn't have the defense to be conservative. People may laugh at this, but I think Alex Smith is one of the best game managers in the NFL. He plays very conservative, doesn't make a ton of mistakes, and has a defense to back him up. KC is 9 and 0 because of it. Romo may still be making mistakes, but not in the form of dumb turnovers he has made in the past. Yes he made one bad throw in the Denver game, but come on, how many times do you lose a game when you lead your team to 48 points. It is the defense that has regressed, and they have regressed every year for the past three years IMO. I really don't know how people think Romo is suppose to lead his team out of mediocrity with this defense.

It's really more about 3 of the last 4 games. Tony never has those comp% numbers.

Is this a game plan issue or is it something else?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is not and has never been the problem for the Cowboys.

well he sure as heck has been a very big part of the problem the last 4 weeks. I posted some stats the other day about his 3rd down problems that to be honest surprised me at how poor they were. To say he isn't part of the problem right now is pretty short sighted IMO with the way he has played recently. Don't read that as me saying he has always been hte problem or needs to be replaced. It's just a fact based on his RECENT play. Honestly, his accuracy has been kind of poor for most of the year IMO.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he sure as heck has been a very big part of the problem the last 4 weeks. I posted some stats the other day about his 3rd down problems that to be honest surprised me at how poor they were. To say he isn't part of the problem right now is pretty short sighted IMO with the way he has played recently. Don't read that as me saying he has always been hte problem or needs to be replaced. It's just a fact based on his RECENT play. Honestly, his accuracy has been kind of poor for most of the year IMO.

Most of the year? .... 2 ints, 13 td 71% comp 1500 yard in the first 5 games. ..those are dream numbers

His last 4 games show a disturbing pattern no doubt. But no QB in the world can win games with the D giving away an NFL record 40 first downs.

Where are the photos and the red circles for the defense?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agree....Romo is part of the group and thus part of the problem. You woulda had to of lived under a rock the past 7 years to not acknowledge that much. No mulligan for Romo

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really more about 3 of the last 4 games. Tony never has those comp% numbers.

Is this a game plan issue or is it something else?

True his comp% is down the past 4 games. I believe it is due to game planning, defenses have figured out this offense. Look at the first 5 games of the season, I read that his comp% was 72%. That's pretty damn high. After the Denver game, his completion % was down to 59% which is below his career mark of 64.7%. The constant doubling of Dez has hurt because the other guys are not beating the one on ones. Sure the pics Romotoowens posted shows a few plays where he missed a read, but I bet you could break down every QB win or lose and find several plays they miss per game. If Miles Austin comes back next week healthy, I think it will help Romo big time. A running game would also help. I'm just not ready to say Romo has lost it over a few games, I really think the OC needs to make some changes.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree....Romo is part of the group and thus part of the problem. You woulda had to of lived under a rock the past 7 years to not acknowledge that much. No mulligan for Romo

Yes he is part of the problem, teams win and lose as a team. They are all a part of the problem, from the coaches, to the special teams IMO.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant remember the plays and without going back and looking - I really thought play 1 was picky- he is rolling out and would have had to throw on the run. Dez had a step. Play 2- Beasley had to dive? I wondered about that one during the game because you actually saw this. That was a pretty long throw if I remember - 20 yds? - I dont know if he thought Beasley would be quicker to it or if it was just off the mark. There was a play early in the Minn game in which they gave Dez a drop - I thought Romo could have lead him better but if he does he would have led him right into the safety. Play 3 was the bomb overthrow.

Play 4 we have discussed. I cant remember play 5. Play 6 - He has Harris wide open . It looks like Wit is wide open as well but safeties are around. He chose to go to Williams in single coverage and he was covered like a blanket. I think the right choice is Harris.

So really about 3 of them were probably bad reads, where the 1st one was probably being too cautious. The second one could have been blamed on accuracy. The third one was the long bomb. Those arent really the throws that have bothered me. Its the ones he has thrown low . He has always thrown low to Witten it seems , but he has bounced some screens to Beasley this year and he has thrown low to Williams several times. Against Minnessota on Dezs big play- I actually thought that was a little low.

And Bigdeal, you are correct in saying you could look at every QB in the league and see 6 questionable plays a game probably. Andrew Luck has been one that has surprised me with his inaccuracy this yr.

No doubt though, we will defintely see both Rogers and Cutler unless another injury happens as well as RG3 Manning Foles. He is going to have to be better.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I like the gunslinger better is because he seems to see the field better conversely he takes more chances and sometimes makes ill advised throws, sow I understand why most don't like the gunslinger. I think playing a more settled down tamed style of ball has actually stopped him from being who he truly is and thats why he in my opinion has been less affective. his TD's are where they always are, but without checking the stats I'd bet his completion % is down and is YPC I'd say is significantly down. I'm not sue if his INT's or down I expect him to finish in the range of 12-15 which is probably his avg.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I like the gunslinger better is because he seems to see the field better conversely he takes more chances and sometimes makes ill advised throws, sow I understand why most don't like the gunslinger. I think playing a more settled down tamed style of ball has actually stopped him from being who he truly is and thats why he in my opinion has been less affective. his TD's are where they always are, but without checking the stats I'd bet his completion % is down and is YPC I'd say is significantly down. I'm not sue if his INT's or down I expect him to finish in the range of 12-15 which is probably his avg.

Ints are way down ... He was so hot the first 5 games that his 4 game skid has put him on the same pace as last year. More TD's I think too.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I meant YPG. Hopefully Miles can come back soon an return to form w/o delay. At this point I don't expect to get more than two or three games at a time out of Miles.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the year? .... 2 ints, 13 td 71% comp 1500 yard in the first 5 games. ..those are dream numbers

His last 4 games show a disturbing pattern no doubt. But no QB in the world can win games with the D giving away an NFL record 40 first downs.

Where are the photos and the red circles for the defense?

Go by what you see in the games, not the box scores. A lot of missed throws and poor decisions this year from Romo. And the first 5 games were no more or less a part of the season than the last 4. Denver and St Louis games he was great even with the game ending pick against Denver, SD game he played well, but came up with a goose egg in the 2nd half. Giants game was hit and miss even though the numbers looked good, KC game had horrible red zone decisions that could have turned the game around. But, even if you want to give him the first 5 games, you don't get to play well in 50% of the games as a $100M veteran NFL QB and then say you played well. The bad games need to be the exception and lately they've been the norm.