• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rodgers and Mahomes?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're NFL coaches. Every single one of them is probably arrogant to a certain degree. They know way more about football than we do. They aren't politicians. The Chiefs did run the ball a lot but they always did it to set up the pass. They could have just kept running it. Also, Mahomes could've made more plays.

As a Chiefs player, though, they're used to seeing Mahomes make that long bomb he had in OT. It bounced around into an INT. Bad bounces happen.

The reality is that the Bengals have the more balanced team, though. Joe Burrow made one of the best plays in the playoffs. Their dlinemen had the biggest play of the game. Their goalline defense held up on the other biggest plays of the game. Bengals won it and they get the credit.

I still think the Chiefs are in good shape for next year but these losses need to sink in a little bit. They had no shot at winning the SB against Tampa Bay. They had a really, really good shot at winning this one, though.
Wasn’t try to rub in the loss or anything like that. Just thought that comment was a bit much. He can be confident without swatting off the other team like a pesky fly and laughing while doing it.

Bengals made some incredible D adjustments for 2nd half and did not let Mahomes scramble out of the hashmarks, where his is deadly. He would run one way, then the other, going backwards. Probably one of the worst halves I’ve ever seen from Mahomes.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn’t try to rub in the loss or anything like that. Just thought that comment was a bit much. He can be confident without swatting off the other team like a pesky fly and laughing while doing it.

Bengals made some incredible D adjustments for 2nd half and did not let Mahomes scramble out of the hashmarks, where his is deadly. He would run one way, then the other, going backwards. Probably one of the worst halves I’ve ever seen from Mahomes.
Its probably going to go down as his worst half so far. The base of a lot of the issues was the RPOs and in the worst play Mahomes chose pass instead of run. Its baked into the plays to have Mahomes have control over a lot of what the Chiefs do. I know Reid himself has been part of many collapses but at this point Mahomes is the central cog of the Chiefs offense. If he never makes it back to the Super Bowl then this will likely end up being a notorious game for Chiefs history. If he does make it back then its the Chiefs side of things will likely just be a footnote to the Bengals viewpoint of the game.

Burrow rises to the occasion. Mahomes has a terrible half. OT rules are probably preserved for better or for worse. I suspect it'll be a game people will remember for awhile. Just not one I'll ever watch again.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton, as great as he was, never really played a good SB game in all 4 appearances. At least Rodgers was excellent in his one. After that, he just always had problems in CGs. Sometimes him, sometimes other issues with the team.

I never really thought about that until you said that. Great point.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be tough after next year. Mahomes is finally coming into the big cap hit, Kelce is going to be 33 and his cap hit jumps almost double after this year, and Hill is in a contract year.

Meanwhile they're going to need to hit hard in the defensive draft. I have to imagine Clark is cut, Jones restructures/extends, Hitchens is almost assuredly gone, I'm sure Hill will get extended but that's going to cause problems in future years, etc.

They still have 51 on their roster but only $5M of cap room which barely signs rookies (or may even not). They'll have to make some moves this offseason for sure, but they don't have a lot to play with. It will be even less next year.

KCs cap/player situation aside:

AFC is VERY strong at the moment while the NFC is weak. It's definitely flipped. Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Mayhomes, Jackson (meh, still a threat till injury anyway), possibly Rodgers/Wilson, Jones looked decent given his weapons, and if Jacksonville can ever assemble a fuckin' team around Lawrence that's a possibility. That's just QBs. Titans are a formidable opponent, Colts might be okay, Raiders could be decent..

Meanwhile the NFC is terrible. The NFC South now sucks (no Payton/Brady), the NFC East is lol.. and Dallas is in cap hell, the NFC North without Rodgers is atrocious... basically the NFC West is the only decent division lol. If Wilson had been healthy this season the entire division would've probably gone to the playoffs lol.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be tough after next year. Mahomes is finally coming into the big cap hit, Kelce is going to be 33 and his cap hit jumps almost double after this year, and Hill is in a contract year.

Meanwhile they're going to need to hit hard in the defensive draft. I have to imagine Clark is cut, Jones restructures/extends, Hitchens is almost assuredly gone, I'm sure Hill will get extended but that's going to cause problems in future years, etc.

They still have 51 on their roster but only $5M of cap room which barely signs rookies (or may even not). They'll have to make some moves this offseason for sure, but they don't have a lot to play with. It will be even less next year.

KCs cap/player situation aside:

AFC is VERY strong at the moment while the NFC is weak. It's definitely flipped. Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Mayhomes, Jackson (meh, still a threat till injury anyway), possibly Rodgers/Wilson, Jones looked decent given his weapons, and if Jacksonville can ever assemble a fuckin' team around Lawrence that's a possibility. That's just QBs. Titans are a formidable opponent, Colts might be okay, Raiders could be decent..

Meanwhile the NFC is terrible. The NFC South now sucks (no Payton/Brady), the NFC East is lol.. and Dallas is in cap hell, the NFC North without Rodgers is atrocious... basically the NFC West is the only decent division lol. If Wilson had been healthy this season the entire division would've probably gone to the playoffs lol.
FWIW, I thought the two teams who 'needed' 2021 going into the season were the Ravens and Browns. Chiefs, though, have a diminishing returns problem that can only be matched with Mahomes getting better or the Chiefs drafting really well.

Frank Clark is gone. Its a strong EDGE rusher class next year. That should time itself fairly well but whether or not they actually draft a good starting Edge rusher at the end of rd1 certainly remains to be seen. Hitchens will be gone. Gay and Bolton compliment each other well and should both be starters at LB.

The Chiefs page I was looking at had their cap space number around $14mil and they could add $28.5mil to that by getting rid of Clark and Hitchens. The idea of paying Honey Badger $10mil a year still seems like its off the table but the Chiefs are almost certainly going to try and bring him back. Chiefs are also basically going to have to choose between Orlando Brown and Joe Thuney long-term. If they re-sign Brown, they'll probably release Thuney at the end of 2023 because Im not sure the Chiefs can absorb that much money in a Guard long-term.

Chiefs also need 2 CBs. Ward and Hughes are gone. Hughes...kinda stinks but better than nothing. Ward will get paid by someone. I think if the Chiefs pass on Honey Badger maybe they pay Ward. All I know is that the Chiefs GM has no issue completely flipping a position group in an offseason. The problem being that if Veach chooses to focus entirely on the pass defense next offseason, it means Mahomes and the offense has to continue with what they have. Mahomes is only a year older than Burrow. He still has some learning to do in the offense and while Mahomes has gotten better at running he isn't the imposing running threat that Josh Allen is.

The Bengals, meanwhile, reload and have the rookie QB contract bargain. Its hard to say if the Bengals or Bills are going to have an easier schedule than the Chiefs, though. Everyone is going to beat each other up, probably.

An issue the Chiefs might have is if Kelce or Hill falls off next year. I don't think they have anything for that. And if that happens then there really isnt any roster shenanigans that will put the Chiefs ahead of the other top teams.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I thought the two teams who 'needed' 2021 going into the season were the Ravens and Browns. Chiefs, though, have a diminishing returns problem that can only be matched with Mahomes getting better or the Chiefs drafting really well.

Frank Clark is gone. Its a strong EDGE rusher class next year. That should time itself fairly well but whether or not they actually draft a good starting Edge rusher at the end of rd1 certainly remains to be seen. Hitchens will be gone. Gay and Bolton compliment each other well and should both be starters at LB.

The Chiefs page I was looking at had their cap space number around $14mil and they could add $28.5mil to that by getting rid of Clark and Hitchens. The idea of paying Honey Badger $10mil a year still seems like its off the table but the Chiefs are almost certainly going to try and bring him back. Chiefs are also basically going to have to choose between Orlando Brown and Joe Thuney long-term. If they re-sign Brown, they'll probably release Thuney at the end of 2023 because Im not sure the Chiefs can absorb that much money in a Guard long-term.

Chiefs also need 2 CBs. Ward and Hughes are gone. Hughes...kinda stinks but better than nothing. Ward will get paid by someone. I think if the Chiefs pass on Honey Badger maybe they pay Ward. All I know is that the Chiefs GM has no issue completely flipping a position group in an offseason. The problem being that if Veach chooses to focus entirely on the pass defense next offseason, it means Mahomes and the offense has to continue with what they have. Mahomes is only a year older than Burrow. He still has some learning to do in the offense and while Mahomes has gotten better at running he isn't the imposing running threat that Josh Allen is.

The Bengals, meanwhile, reload and have the rookie QB contract bargain. Its hard to say if the Bengals or Bills are going to have an easier schedule than the Chiefs, though. Everyone is going to beat each other up, probably.

An issue the Chiefs might have is if Kelce or Hill falls off next year. I don't think they have anything for that. And if that happens then there really isnt any roster shenanigans that will put the Chiefs ahead of the other top teams.
Chiefs will have to restructure Mahomes and Kelce. Kelce still playing at a high level so no problem extending him - if he signs!
As I understand it, restructuring Mahomes was always the plan?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs will have to restructure Mahomes and Kelce. Kelce still playing at a high level so no problem extending him - if he signs!
As I understand it, restructuring Mahomes was always the plan?
No idea. I never really get into the whole 'contract' side of things when it comes to the NFL.

It seems like a lot of the top tier TEs play to they are 36 or so if they stay healthy. Witten 37. Antonio Gates a little older but I think he stopped being a major target around 36. Kelce's contract ends at 36. It kinda feels like everything is already baked in with Kelce.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s gonna be weird seeing the Packers with a team that might struggle at QB for a while, because man, they’ve been spoiled for years with Favre and then Rodgers …That's assuming Rodgers leaves of course…

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense wins championships. This isnt the NBA

If you think Mahomes has had early Brady level defense to back him up then you're blind
Defense can't win it alone. Mahomes is a hugely good QB but the Chiefs went from firing on 8 cylinders to 7 then 6 as the playoffs wound down.

Oh yeah, basketball isn't a real sport.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early in his career, Rodgers was a Superbowl Champion only to regress to always losing the big game.

Is Mahomes following in his footsteps?
Brilliant career to start and win his first Superbowl.
He has now gone from SB win to SB loss, to missing the Superbowl.
Is Patrick doomed to languish in the land of "almost?"
Both were in the discussion for GOAT early in their careers.
Patrick is still brilliant and has years before we find out but just because he is a likeable guy doesn't mean he will do better than Rodgers.
It is hard to win Superbowls. Let's hope Patrick snaps out of this pattern.
Even Brady went years after his 1st 3 SB wins before getting the next 4!
Can that Mahomes contract hamper the Chiefs ability to sign key FAs?

That last line is funny. 1st 3 n next 4 eh. I'm not sure Brady is the greatest of all time. He is no doubt the winning-est QB/player in the modern era, maybe in the history of the NFL (does anyone else have 7 championship titles from any era under their belt?) Given my druthers. As long as I was significantly contributing to all that success like Brady did. I'd rather have that title. He's firmly in John Wooden, Bill Russell territory, a little higher even given the sport imo. That's extremely rarefied air.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That last line is funny. 1st 3 n next 4 eh. I'm not sure Brady is the greatest of all time. He is no doubt the winning-est QB/player in the modern era, maybe in the history of the NFL (does anyone else have 7 championship titles from any era under their belt?) Given my druthers. As long as I was significantly contributing to all that success like Brady did. I'd rather have that title. He's firmly in John Wooden, Bill Russell territory, a little higher even given the sport imo. That's extremely rarefied air.
nba=russell 11
nhl=richard 11
mlb=yogi 10
nfl=brady 7 otto graham 7 pre SB

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nba=russell 11
nhl=richard 11
mlb=yogi 10
nfl=brady 7 otto graham 7 pre SB
I knew there was a hockey guy in there and knew Graham had a bunch of championships under his belt as well. Forgot about Yogi. Though if I'm being honest. I can't say I look at all titles as being equal. Some of those titles that Berra won with the Yankees for instance consisted of what? 16 or so teams in total all located east of the Mississippi along with other factors.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My post was rhetorical