• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rodgers and Mahomes?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early in his career, Rodgers was a Superbowl Champion only to regress to always losing the big game.

Is Mahomes following in his footsteps?
Brilliant career to start and win his first Superbowl.
He has now gone from SB win to SB loss, to missing the Superbowl.
Is Patrick doomed to languish in the land of "almost?"
Both were in the discussion for GOAT early in their careers.
Patrick is still brilliant and has years before we find out but just because he is a likeable guy doesn't mean he will do better than Rodgers.
It is hard to win Superbowls. Let's hope Patrick snaps out of this pattern.
Even Brady went years after his 1st 3 SB wins before getting the next 4!

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early in his career, Rodgers was a Superbowl Champion only to regress to always losing the big game.

Patrick is still brilliant and has years before we find out but just because he is a likeable guy doesn't mean he will do better than Rodgers.

That is just wrong.

Mahomes is an amazing talent. He is FAR from brilliant and this year really showed that. And yesterday on a lot of the plays he was an outright baffoon.

I don't know if I have ever been as disappointed in a players performance who didnt play for my team as I was in Mahomes yesterday. His melt down in the 2nd half was mildly disappointing. But him getting sacked and fumbling on the 2nd to last play of regulation was absolutely inexcusable. One of the dumbest plays I remember seeing in awhile. Karma was strong enough that the Chiefs did lose....but if Karma was as true as it should be, KC should have missed the kick to send it to OT just to emphasis how dumb that play really was.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what Mahomes could do shocked just about everyone. His first year as a starter nobody had any sort of plan around him. It has now been 4 years, and defenses have had time to watch film and build proper game plans. Now he has plummeted from on pace to be the GOAT to...real damn good and still a top 5 in the league. I would say what we have seen this year is closer to what he is more than his rookie year. What he is is a perennial MVP candidate who will win more SuperBowls.

I know people want to be upset he "only" has the one SB win, but 4 years and 4 conference championships with 2 SB appearances tells me he will win more SB's. 8-3 is a playoff record almost any QB can only dream of having. After Stafford wins the next 5 to be B2B superbowl Champ he will have that record too!

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are also seeing a shift on defense with teams starting to realize that some QB's you can't blitz. They are too good at mobility and pre-snap reads, and have weapons that can't be left 1-1. Now you see defenses starting to rush 4, or even 3, and drop 7-8 into the space and force teams to check-down a lot.

This change is going to slow down offenses as it will force teams to slowly, and steadily, small-chunk their way down the field. Some teams will get tired of waiting for the big play and force things (KC last night). Other teams will thrive on that because their QB isn't a HR hitter to start with (Jimmy G).

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what Mahomes could do shocked just about everyone. His first year as a starter nobody had any sort of plan around him. It has now been 4 years, and defenses have had time to watch film and build proper game plans. Now he has plummeted from on pace to be the GOAT to...real damn good and still a top 5 in the league. I would say what we have seen this year is closer to what he is more than his rookie year. What he is is a perennial MVP candidate who will win more SuperBowls.

I know people want to be upset he "only" has the one SB win, but 4 years and 4 conference championships with 2 SB appearances tells me he will win more SB's. 8-3 is a playoff record almost any QB can only dream of having. After Stafford wins the next 5 to be B2B superbowl Champ he will have that record too!
By contrast, Rodgers is 11-10?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are also seeing a shift on defense with teams starting to realize that some QB's you can't blitz. They are too good at mobility and pre-snap reads, and have weapons that can't be left 1-1. Now you see defenses starting to rush 4, or even 3, and drop 7-8 into the space and force teams to check-down a lot.

This change is going to slow down offenses as it will force teams to slowly, and steadily, small-chunk their way down the field. Some teams will get tired of waiting for the big play and force things (KC last night). Other teams will thrive on that because their QB isn't a HR hitter to start with (Jimmy G).
And that shift has already happened with Mahomes. You can see it pretty clearly in his numbers. The Chiefs offense marches up and down the field but it generally doesnt have the big throws anymore.

The Bengals just closed the door in the red zone. I think when the Chiefs think they cant score in the red zone they lose their brains and play into the opponents defense.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that shift has already happened with Mahomes. You can see it pretty clearly in his numbers. The Chiefs offense marches up and down the field but it generally doesnt have the big throws anymore.

The Bengals just closed the door in the red zone. I think when the Chiefs think they cant score in the red zone they lose their brains and play into the opponents defense.
I don't think the Chiefs were prepared for Bengals "shutting down the end zone"
Bengals were really "up" when they began their comeback.
I have seen a very talented Patriots team let their foot off the gas and not be able to get it going again.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most thought Marino's ring was just around the corner. Great thing about most professional sports. You never know outcomes, pros on both sides, and anyone can mess up at the most inopportune time. Anointing a player with assumptions based on the past seldom works out. Brady being an exception.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Chiefs were prepared for Bengals "shutting down the end zone"
Bengals were really "up" when they began their comeback.
I have seen a very talented Patriots team let their foot off the gas and not be able to get it going again.
I think the Chiefs in general have been conditioned to play these advanced metrics shootouts. Every time they play a top QB they start getting too aggressive. They need to play balanced football.

I dont really see any comps between this Chiefs team and the Patriots. Brady inherited a top defense and a SB contender and got better and better through the years. Mahomes inherited a top offense and a garbage defense and a SB contender. Teams have adjusted to the offense.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chiefs in general have been conditioned to play these advanced metrics shootouts. Every time they play a top QB they start getting too aggressive. They need to play balanced football.

I dont really see any comps between this Chiefs team and the Patriots. Brady inherited a top defense and a SB contender and got better and better through the years. Mahomes inherited a top offense and a garbage defense and a SB contender. Teams have adjusted to the offense.
I'm not talking apples and oranges.
I'm only talking about taking your foot off the gas.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking apples and oranges.
I'm only talking about taking your foot off the gas.
Like over a long period of time or this past season where they really struggled in the 2nd half?

Sometimes in the playoffs, offenses just hit a wall. I could list numerous examples.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have him, no way I'm giving up on Mason Rudolph......
Yeah, well, that goes without saying. But not all of us are that lucky...