• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rivalry Night: Caps @ Pens

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the 11 seasons between 1991 and 2001, the two teams met in the playoffs 7 times, with the Pens winning 6 of the series. OV and Sid have only met once in the playoffs, in 2009, which the Pens also won. Believe me, it is definitely a rivalry for the Caps...I can't speak for Pens fans, but with the way they have dominated us (in the playoffs, at least), I would understand if they didn't look at the Caps as true rivals. The hammer really doesn't have a rivalry with the nail.

Lot's of playoff meeting during the 1990s & early 2000s which fueled the rivalry before the arrival of OV & Sid.

Understandable. I mean it's the same reason why Rangers/Caps is looked at as a rivalry now as well, all our playoff meetings over the last 5 seasons. But I guess coming into the Metro, now makes it even more of a rivalry.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michal Neuvirth gets the start in net for the Caps.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a legitimate rivalry. It's tamed up in the past 3 seasons or so, but it's most certainly a rivalry, and a long tenured one. It's an old Patrick division rivalry, and one hopefully renewed in the Metro. The only two teams in the past few years the Pens "hate" more would be Philly and Boston. And I don't label Boston a rival yet.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, like somebody said earlier, think it's more Ovie/Crosby than an actual ''team rivalry''

Did you start watching hockey in 2006?

I hated the Penguins long before Crosby and Ovechkin were ever drafted to play for their respective teams. Probably has something to do with the info. below. Especially since we were up early in many of those series only to collapse like we always do...

2001 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2000 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1996 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1995 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-3, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1994 -- defeated Pittsburgh, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1992 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-3, Patrick Division semifinals

1991 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-1, Patrick Division finals

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will watch.....exceedingly intoxicated. :suds:

With ya here...GOOD ACTION for sure!

Series notes
All-time: Pens lead series 97-83-5
Season series: Pens lead series 1-0
Last meeting: 11/20/2013 @ Verizon Center, Pens won 4-0

"Smells" of a Cap winnah here, gonna ride wif the road dawgs in this one.:whistle:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you start watching hockey in 2006?

I hated the Penguins long before Crosby and Ovechkin were ever drafted to play for their respective teams. Probably has something to do with the info. below. Especially since we were up early in many of those series only to collapse like we always do...

2001 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2000 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1996 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1995 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-3, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1994 -- defeated Pittsburgh, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1992 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-3, Patrick Division semifinals

1991 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-1, Patrick Division finals

Yes. Sorry don't really know the history from 91-96 since I was of the ages of 2-5. I barely remember our Cup run and win in 94 and I was only 5 at the time lol

I can see why you hate them so much, but believe me, I hate them just as equally.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps v Pens is my second favorite opponent for Pittsburgh in the Eastern Conference to square off against. It only gets surpassed by the obvious cross-state rival match up with the Philthy.

Quite possibly the most excruciating/exciting/memorable hockey game I've ever watched:

Still gives me chills

Quadruple overtime FTW :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Sorry don't really know the history from 91-96 since I was of the ages of 2-5. I barely remember our Cup run and win in 94 and I was only 5 at the time lol

I can see why you hate them so much, but believe me, I hate them just as equally.

Per 43's list of fun chants at Cap Centre (good one - miss the wooop wooops), I do miss chanting... "Nine...teen...for...ty..." ;)

Yeah, it's a long-running (at least for a team born in 1974) and legit rival. I've had a Pens' fan try to punch me at a game. I've seen a Pens fan take off his shoe and throw it at Caps' fans (during the national anthem no less). I've been harassed on the streets of Pittsburgh just for wearing my Caps' hat.

In 1992, we had them down 3 games to 1. We should have won that series. We didn't. The Pens won the Cup... easily. We were the toughest challenge they had by far. We had some really good teams in the mid-90s. How good we were in that era is often overlooked because the Pens knocked us out early SO many times.

And here's a random fact... the Pens have NEVER won a Cup without beating Washington to do it.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps v Pens is my second favorite opponent for Pittsburgh in the Eastern Conference to square off against. It only gets surpassed by the obvious cross-state rival match up with the Philthy.

Quite possibly the most excruciating/exciting/memorable hockey game I've ever watched:

Still gives me chills

Quadruple overtime FTW :yahoo:

I remember that game because I was in college. A bunch of friend were waiting for me to go to dinner but I wanted to see that end. As overtime was dragging on I finally relented and we all left. Got back almost 2 hours later and saw the game was on and some guy was watching it in the lounge. I said "Oh good, they're replaying the game." He says... "No it's still going, it's in the 4th overtime." I couldn't believe it. Sat down. Pens scored 2 minutes later.

It was like they waited for me. :L

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per 43's list of fun chants at Cap Centre (good one - miss the wooop wooops), I do miss chanting... "Nine...teen...for...ty..." ;)

Yeah, it's a long-running (at least for a team born in 1974) and legit rival. I've had a Pens' fan try to punch me at a game. I've seen a Pens fan take off his shoe and throw it at Caps' fans (during the national anthem no less). I've been harassed on the streets of Pittsburgh just for wearing my Caps' hat.

In 1992, we had them down 3 games to 1. We should have won that series. We didn't. The Pens won the Cup... easily. We were the toughest challenge they had by far. We had some really good teams in the mid-90s. How good we were in that era is often overlooked because the Pens knocked us out early SO many times.

And here's a random fact... the Pens have NEVER won a Cup without beating Washington to do it.

Interesting, good to know and thanks for filling me in.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one still gives me goosebumps...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that game because I was in college. A bunch of friend were waiting for me to go to dinner but I wanted to see that end. As overtime was dragging on I finally relented and we all left. Got back almost 2 hours later and saw the game was on and some guy was watching it in the lounge. I said "Oh good, they're replaying the game." He says... "No it's still going, it's in the 4th overtime." I couldn't believe it. Sat down. Pens scored 2 minutes later.

It was like they waited for me. :L

It really was the craziest game I think I've ever witnessed.

Supah Mario, of all people, got the gate. Barrasso had to leave the game I think in like the first period due to injury, and Ken Wregget replaced him and had the game of his life, Jagr was laid out in this game like three times in the span of 45 seconds, Juneau had a penalty shot in the second or third OT for a first time in NHL playoff history... and of course Nedved beats a screened Kolzig with just seconds remaining from a fifth OT.

Just insanity :lol:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't we all.

In 1992, we had them down 3 games to 1. We should have won that series. We didn't. The Pens won the Cup... easily.
I was going to mention this one from your list. It's my favorite, as not only did we come back from down 3-1, but it was the start of our 11-0 run to close out the Cup vctory, stopping Chicago's own 11-0 run.

Ecstasy, I tells ya.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 point game in the playoffs, ho hum...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PohKZd_1QJY]Mario Lemieux has a six point game - YouTube[/ame]