• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rees doesn't deserve blame.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most Irish fans are not happy with the way the Irish have played so far, but I don't think it is fair to blame Rees.

Our running game sucks. We are 85th in rushing yards, 79th in yards per rush, 99th in rushing touchdowns.

Our defense has been weak. We are 58th in points against. I could not find rankings for 1st downs and yards given up but I am sure we would rank poorly in those areas as well.

I would grade the Notre Dame coaches "C-", rushing game "C-", defense "D+", and Rees "B+". Rees is #7 in passing yards, #12 in passing touchdowns, #34 QB rating, and there are 72 quarterbacks that have thrown 2 or more interceptions (Rees has 2). I am not a fan of Rees, but I think he has played fairly well while our rushing game, coaching, and defense have been substandard. I just don't see how Rees is being blamed for poor play by the Irish.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does deserve some blame. He just isn't good. Our offense is so predictable because he has so many weaknesses.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is in no way Rees fault....Sure he had 1 bad INT, but he is doing just fine. Like the OP states, its the running game, the o-line and the def, esp the secondary and slow ass LB's!

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rees is definitely not an elite QB. There are probably at least 30 guys playing QB that I would rather have than Rees. However, considering the lousy play calling, the inexperienced receivers, and the lack of a solid running game, I think he has done about all we could ask for.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rees is definitely not an elite QB. There are probably at least 30 guys playing QB that I would rather have than Rees. However, considering the lousy play calling, the inexperienced receivers, and the lack of a solid running game, I think he has done about all we could ask for.

Never thought he was going to be elite. But he, in no way has lost this team a game...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absolutely deserves blame. How many times is he just gonna throw fades to the sidelines or just chuck it up downfield? There are other throws he can make. I bet he atleast attempted 20 shots downfield, with the majority either being too far out of bounds to catch or 5-10 yards in front of the receiver.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a quarterback who can't run or extend plays simply limits the offense big time. It makes it so much easier to defend when you can never pick up an occasional first down with your legs or even occasionally extend plays. I don't blame Rees but he does have some big limitations, we all knew that going in. The Irish were lucky to come out of this one with a W. To steal a quote from Denny Green, they are who I thought they were. Just keep winning the games you should and keep the recruiting class from crumbling. That's their mission this year as far as I am concerned.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that B+ doesn't include today's game. That's good. He absolutely sucked today and could have been a lot worse. The refs and MSU DBs bailed him out several times.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree wholeheartedly that the refs and MSU dbs bailed him out numerous times. On top of looking how he plays you also have to take into consideration how he limits you. The Irish looking pedestrian doesn't fall strictly on Tommy Rees but I am amazed at how many fellow Irish fans refuse to understand how he limits the team. Of any of the opponents we face he is the lesser athlete than the opponent's quarterback, that's simply the fact ignored.
All that being said the special teams are pathetic. I've never seen more stumbling and bumbling. How does the special teams coach keep his job. If the special teams played well today the outcome would have looked much different. Fumbles, blocked punts, missed chip shot field goals and just overall idiotic pathetic play.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Koyack has been less than spectacular too. Believe me there is plenty of blame to go around. It's a long list.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after yesterdays game he is to blame. Kid has no skills. All he does is throw bad ball after bad ball. Im sick of watching him play

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rees isn't the biggest reason they have struggled, they haven't been able to run the ball which hasn't helped. The thing I keep wondering is why the hell isn't McDaniel getting more carries earlier in the game he has looked better and more consistent than Carlisle and Atkinson. I also wouldn't mind seeing more of Bryant and Folston. The defense has been terrible, even worse than being slow they haven't been able to tackle to save their lives which had been a staple of this team.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're right! he isn't the biggest reason for nd's less than spectacular showing right now. however, a good qb would make nd's other shortcomings a lot less noticable. his penchant for throwing uncatchable balls hurts this team, not to mention his complete inability to be mobile. with a good qb i believe nd would be undefeated at this moment and with a little more breathing room in their games. golson's loss is very big imo and it shows.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up until last night, I was in his corner. Not any more. I can accept the fact that he can't run, but throwing the ball out of bounds or out of the back of the end zone, I can't take. He at many of times gave his WR no chance, but were bailed out by the refs. He completely abandoned the middle of the field and took stupid shots down the field. Sad part, we are stuck with him....

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to think you guys are right. So who should we try to get. Manziel would be nice, but he seems like he has a lot of baggage. Braxton Miller is still hurt. I'm thinking Bridgewater may be our best option (he's much more mobile than McCarron). The problem is whether he can learn the play book before Oklahoma comes in this week.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Zaire or Hendrix could do better than Rees did against a stout MSU defense ... one of the best defenses we will probably see on our sked this year. Jeeez ... you guys just don't get it. We're stuck with what we're stuck with ... and Rees is the "lesser of all the evils" right now. Why can't u see that? Do you think Kelly would start him every game now, if he thought Zaire or Hendrix could/would do better? I'm tired of hearing "if Golson this" or "if Golson that" ... guess what??? HE'S NOT PLAYING THIS YEAR ... GET OVER IT. We're stuck with Rees. Is he going to light the world on fire? Hell no. But he is managing the games above what many of us expected. Yes, he had a pretty subpar game against a very good MSU D, but maybe if he had an Oline that would block somebody ... maybe if we could EVER establish a solid running game to keep the heat off of him ... maybe if the HC wouldnt call plays that put his weaknesses in the spotlight and try not making him be somebody BK would like him to be. I'm here to tell ya ... BK's play calling is beyond suspect in this Irish fan's mind ... and I've been saying this for a veryyyyy longggggg time. Rees is not A J McCarron ... he's not Johnny Punk Football ... he's not Bridgewater ... he is nothing more than Tommy Rees who finds a way to manage a game and get wins when he's put in prime situations ... not being told to heave the ball every fifth play against MSU. BK did say he wanted to go over the top against MSU and throw deep, but sheeeesh ... that was pretty ridiculous IMO.

I, again, am far from a Rees fan, but I'm a realist and I see that we are stuck with him. I just wish people would stop climbing in the guy's ass every time he throws a ball away ... which, btw, is probably what he was doing alot with those OOB and back of the end zone passes ... cuz there was nothing there. At least he isnt turning the ball over like everyone was dreading he would this year (God strike me dead if I just jinxed the poor guy). Give him a break fellow Irish fans ... he's got us to 3-1 ... not pretty, but he really never has been pretty.

We have no special teams ... NONE. Our D stinks cuz we cant cover anybody, piss poor tackling and generally no real pass rush this year ... that is due to SERIOUS lack of leadership and subpar coaching IMO. This D played better this week and they had better get their crap together ... and quick.

We are lucky that MSU's QB and offense is horrible, cuz they blew alot of opportuntities also ... ALOT. This game, very easily, could've gone the other way had their QB played better and hit some of his receivers. If we play like we have been playing, I do believe OU will have their way with us next week ... especially since they have had 2 weeks to prepare for us. That thought right there keeps me awake at nite. I am honestly dreading next Saturday. Maybe ND will live up to some of their potential and hype and be ACTUALLY PREPARED AND READY to play 60 FULL MINUTES of football against a good & rested OU team.

GO IRISH!!!!!!! :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at the risk of starting a fued ..... i think YOU don't get it craig. i really think everyone here knows perfectly well that we are stuck with rees. i don't think anyone is suggesting there's much to be done about it. (we also know throwing the rookies in could do more harm than good and hendrix would be no upgrade). HOWEVER .... it is the right .... nay ... the DUTY of fans to grouse over crappy situations our teams find themselves in and no amount of "get over it guys" or "i'm tired of hearing's" or whatnot will change that. lord knows i've seen you grouse over things that you know are unchangable (see all your complaints about bk) .... so please ..... ease up. let us bitch and moan when the urge hits. it's our god-given right!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My think is ND shouldn't have a crappy QB like this starting. We should be getting good enough recruits now that our #2 QB should be better.

In my opinion I think Hendrix should play a little to change it up. Hendrix gives us a little more because he can run and throw a deep ball. Not saying start him but have a 2 QB rotation in a way. Split it 70-30, even give us 80-20.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can have running game when D's stack 8 in the box, because they know Rees cant throw the ball. So yes it is Rees fault why we have no running game. The kid doesn't do anything good. Defenses no that and that is why they stack 8 and their CB play up close to the WR. Oh yeah Defense knows he cant run either.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rees did not have a good game. Rees was lucky it was not a much worse game for him because he had a lot of help. Rees was also very inaccurate.

In Reese's defense, the MSU coverage was absolutely nasty. There weren't many open receivers and BK called one long pass after the other. I agree with Purguy that it might be good to have Hendrix enter the game periodically to add another element for defenses to prepare for.