• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Maybe we are misunderstanding one another Shark. My response to gk was more in line with his "$50 mill plus comment" and this portion of the article.

See, I feel like guaranteeing 2017-2018 would be plenty fair. I guess we will agree to disagree. And once again, my type of QB is the one that gets us to the playoffs consistently AND wins playoff games. I'm just not all-in on KC yet like some of you are. He still needs to convince me (and plenty others) that he is a franchise QB that can carry this team for the next 6-8 years.

And I think guaranteeing 2017-2019 would be FAIR. And more to the point I think it would be the only way to prevent the Front office from trying to back out of the deal because they felt they had the chance to go for the flashy rookie next year. As for not being convinced, I will ask again what more does he need to do?? Kirk will never carry the team all on his own. But then again most of the elite QBs apparently cant do it either. Kirk has been a starter two years, and he has gotten us to the playoffs one of those two years.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are we so convinced that a top 85 player 2 years in a row is going to crap the bed ? risk is risk but you dont get a reward without grabbing your nut sack and taking one

I dont think any of these guys really expects him to shit the bed.

The fear is that we settle for a Cousins, and it prevents the team for making the move to try and acquire an elite prospect next year.

Kirk might not be the QB some of these guys want, but he is exactly what we NEED to prevent us from repeating past mistakes.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are we so convinced that a top 85 player 2 years in a row is going to crap the bed ? risk is risk but you dont get a reward without grabbing your nut sack and taking one

Would you sign Alex Smith to this deal??

How well has that worked for us in the past? I see your your point sdad but are you prepared to be mediocre or even below average for the next 5-6 years because we jumped the gun on giving this guy a big $$$ LTD?? It's a possibility.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How well has that worked for us in the past? I see your your point sdad but are you prepared to be mediocre or even below average for the next 5-6 years because we jumped the gun on giving this guy a big $$$ LTD?? It's a possibility.

And if we finish 9-7, Kirk walks.

Are you prepared to watch the team use another 4 high Draft picks on a Rookie QB?? Are you ready to waste another four years chasing elite?? Because its a good possibility thats what happens.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fear is that we settle for a Cousins, and it prevents the team for making the move to try and acquire an elite prospect next year.

Kirk might not be the QB some of these guys want, but he is exactly what we NEED to prevent us from repeating past mistakes.

It's a pretty simple formula, if KC kicks ass, gets us into the playoffs, wins some playoff games, eventually goes deep and maybe gets us into the NFCCG/SB then we won't be settling for anything. We won't be as you put it "chasing elite", we will have ELITE. If a good portion of the fan base and FO is looking for an out...or reason to dumb him, then you know what KC dies..he puts the team on his back, plays his ass off like the best QB in the game and makes himself irreplaceable. Then the FO can't do anything but pay the dude.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we finish 9-7, Kirk walks.

Are you prepared to watch the team use another 4 high Draft picks on a Rookie QB?? Are you ready to waste another four years chasing elite?? Because its a good possibility thats what happens.

Well...I would rather spend the next 3-4 years working towards something than spending 3-4 years with a ho-hum QB that we are locked into because if guaranteed money THEN 3-4 years after that starting all over again. I'd like to win another Super Bowl in our lifetime Shark. Sorry...9-7 doesn't excite me.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pretty simple formula, if KC kicks ass, gets us into the playoffs, wins some playoff games, eventually goes deep and maybe gets us into the NFCCG/SB then we won't be settling for anything. We won't be as you put it "chasing elite", we will have ELITE. If a good portion of the fan base and FO is looking for an out...or reason to dumb him, then you know what KC dies..he puts the team on his back, plays his ass off like the best QB in the game and makes himself irreplaceable. Then the FO can't do anything but pay the dude.

I call bullshit on that.

Kirk has played at a damn near elite level the last two years. What if he has a similar year to the last two, but the Defense still sucks and special teams has its special moments?? So basically unless Kirk can CARRY the team, you are fine with risking another dumb assed trade up?? And you think this is logical??

Also, if Kirk DOES play to the elite level which i the only way to please some of you guys, his agent would be a moron to NOT test the market at that point. And of course then he is a dick because he isnt willing to commit to a franchise that has not been willing to commit to him for three years at that point.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I would rather spend the next 3-4 years working towards something than spending 3-4 years with a ho-hum QB that we are locked into because if guaranteed money THEN 3-4 years after that starting all over again. I'd like to win another Super Bowl in our lifetime Shark. Sorry...9-7 doesn't excite me.

How did that work for us last time?? You cant build shit if you give up multiple picks for one player. I would rather be 9-7 and have the draft picks to improve, than 9-7 and burn four picks on one player again.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ray Charles could see Kirk isn't Alex Smith. C'mon man

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IM still wondering how a QB who has actually made the playoffs 4 times in his career is some how a BAD thing considering this teams history over the past 20 years?? :scratch:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well... Alex Smith is only 10 or so spots behind KC on the list. He is a "Top 85" player... that's why I asked the question. Just sayin':noidea:

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM still wondering how a QB who has actually made the playoffs 4 times in his career is some how a BAD thing considering this teams history over the past 20 years?? :scratch:
True. I like Alex myself, but Kirk has a stronger arm and is more athletic imo

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh really messed up benching Alex for Kaep.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I like Alex myself, but Kirk has a stronger arm and is more athletic imo

I actually like Smith as well. And I wonder at times, where would this team possibly be had we done what Shanahan reportedly wanted to do. As in NOT trade up for Voldemort, take Kirk in the 2nd, and use those three 1st round picks to improve the rest of the roster.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Smith as well. And I wonder at times, where would this team possibly be had we done what Shanahan reportedly wanted to do. As in NOT trade up for Voldemort, take Kirk in the 2nd, and use those three 1st round picks to improve the rest of the roster.
Oh man! Would have to be setting pretty if this had happened I'd think

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's completely fair and I wonder that too. But as it stands now, KC is more or less still on a rookie contract because of the colossal failure that was the RG3 situation. If the Shanny plan woulda happened, maybe he would have been starting the last 4-5 years instead of 2, had the opportunity to cement his status during that time and all of this talk wouldn't be happening. It's not Kirk's fault. But still, he shouldn't be treated as NFL royalty yet IMO as he hasn't done enough (outside of good stats) to warrant that title. I am interested to see what he does this year without DJax and Pierre. If he can get the same production with Doctson and Pryor, much less proven commodities, then I will be on the bandwagon.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's completely fair and I wonder that too. But as it stands now, KC is more or less still on a rookie contract because of the colossal failure that was the RG3 situation. If the Shanny plan woulda happened, maybe he would have been starting the last 4-5 years instead of 2, had the opportunity to cement his status during that time and all of this talk wouldn't be happening. It's not Kirk's fault. But still, he shouldn't be treated as NFL royalty yet IMO as he hasn't done enough (outside of good stats) to warrant that title. I am interested to see what he does this year without DJax and Pierre. If he can get the same production with Doctson and Pryor, much less proven commodities, then I will be on the bandwagon.
When I saw Pryor against the skins last season I told my buddy I believed he could be one of the top receivers in the league if he had a competent QB to work with. So I think it'll work out just fine

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So let me ask a question then.

You dont see any problem with people stating that he isnt elite to the level of Brady, Rogers and many others who have HAD the benefit of starting for five or more years at this point?? I think the contract is being used as an excuse for us to do exactly what we did in 2012 and trade up for a more exciting prospect. Because unless you really think Cousins is going to be one of the worst QBs in the league this year AND the defense will still suck... its not logical to have him play on the tag and at best pay him even MORE than most want. And worst case is Kirk plays to the level he has the past two years, walks any way.. and we are back to 2012.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me ask a question then.

You dont see any problem with people stating that he isnt elite to the level of Brady, Rogers and many others who have HAD the benefit of starting for five or more years at this point?? I think the contract is being used as an excuse for us to do exactly what we did in 2012 and trade up for a more exciting prospect. Because unless you really think Cousins is going to be one of the worst QBs in the league this year AND the defense will still suck... its not logical to have him play on the tag and at best pay him even MORE than most want. And worst case is Kirk plays to the level he has the past two years, walks any way.. and we are back to 2012.

I understand. In alot of ways how they are handling this thing makes absolutely no sense and it would point to some scheisty stuff going on. But maybe there is method to their madness (Allen/Snyder/FO). Dean has laid out some interesting nuggets and theories ranging the strong QB class next year (taking many QB needy teams out of the discussion), some other teams he simply may rather not play for, some maybe can't afford him. It's conceivable we could get him next year at or close to the price he is asking for this year if he has a nice year. If he kills it, we win the east, and KC gets us in..maybe wins us a playoff game. He will have to get a big time pay day. Maybe the FO is willing to take that risk if it means we are 100% on the KC bandwagon for 5 years +.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand. In alot of ways how they are handling this thing makes absolutely no sense and it would point to some scheisty stuff going on. But maybe there is method to their madness (Allen/Snyder/FO). Dean has laid out some interesting nuggets and theories ranging the strong QB class next year (taking many QB needy teams out of the discussion), some other teams he simply may rather not play for, some maybe can't afford him. It's conceivable we could get him next year at or close to the price he is asking for this year if he has a nice year. If he kills it, we win the east, and KC gets us in..maybe wins us a playoff game. He will have to get a big time pay day. Maybe the FO is willing to take that risk if it means we are 100% on the KC bandwagon for 5 years +.

OK First off, Dean wanted to Off Cousins for MONTHS leading up to the draft. SO I give his opinion about as much weight as fairy dust.

Secondly, put yourself in Kirk's Shoes for a moment. If he has the type of year it would require to convince you, Dean and the front office... WHY would he want to resign here??

Playing him on the tag again is hedging your bet that he will fail. Counting on next years QB class to be awesome is more than likely just going to piss Kirk off more, and personally I hope they do play him on the tag. Because I think if they do, he lights it up. But i also think that if he does that, he leaves. Think about that for a moment, Kirk would be the first Elite QB to hit FA when he is under the age of 30. He would be stupid to NOT test the market at that point.