• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at the risk of sounding like that math teacher you hated growing up...

Please show your work.

Because reality is this, if Kirk Succeeds and we trans tag him, why would another team NOT make him an offer that the Skins either cant or wont want to match. So the trans tag really is not guarantee we keep him, and likely would be a guarantee that he leaves.

The Franchise tag would guarantee we keep him for another year, but only if its of the exclusive type yet again.

Because lets be honest, success at this point means Kirk performs at an elite level. And take off the homer glasses and the Bruce Allen underoos for a moment and THINK... if you are the Niners, are you going to make Kirk an offer you think the Skins will match and do their negotiating for them?? And if Kirk has transcended, would you even blink at giving up two first rounders for an elite QB??

The franchise tag is out of the question next year. It all comes down to the type of year KC has. Let the other teams bid on him like the 49ers if we trans tag him. I believe we would match it if KC shows well this year. You are forgetting that the QB draft class next year could have an affect on the offer.

Plus the 49ers with Hoyer should be another top 5 selection. The same goes for the Jets. So they may not make a break the bank offer to KC next year b/c they can get a rookie a lot cheaper and develop him. That could come into play in next years off season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The franchise tag is out of the question next year. It all comes down to the type of year KC has. Let the other teams bid on him like the 49ers if we trans tag him. I believe we would match it if KC shows well this year. You are forgetting that the QB draft class next year could have an affect on the offer.

Plus the 49ers with Hoyer should be another top 5 selection. The same goes for the Jets. So they may not make a break the bank offer to KC next year b/c they can get a rookie a lot cheaper and develop him. That could come into play in next years off season.

Again... why would either make an offer they reasonably expected the Skins to match?? If we trans tag him and the Niners or Jets make an offer, it will be an offr that

1. We wont match or
2. Matching it would actually take up most if not all of our available cap space.

There is solid logic behind the thought that if we dont sign Kirk long term now, he wont be in DC in 2018. Because if he does well, there will be teams in need of a QB who can simply offer more than we can or will want to spend.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... why would either make an offer they reasonably expected the Skins to match?? If we trans tag him and the Niners or Jets make an offer, it will be an offr that

1. We wont match or
2. Matching it would actually take up most if not all of our available cap space.

There is solid logic behind the thought that if we dont sign Kirk long term now, he wont be in DC in 2018. Because if he does well, there will be teams in need of a QB who can simply offer more than we can or will want to spend.

Possible but would KC want to go to those other teams if he does well here by just chasing the buck? There is no reason to believe that he will bolt if we use the trans tag on him. Plus I think the QB draft class will have a lot to do with the offers being made.

You are going into DR. Doom mode again. KC is not going to sign any deal put forth to him right now. He his holding all the cards. The bottom line here is that we will have the final say if we want him here or not. Im not worried about it at all. You guys are freaking out.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible but would KC want to go to those other teams if he does well here by just chasing the buck? There is no reason to believe that he will bolt if we use the trans tag on him. Plus I think the QB draft class will have a lot to do with the offers being made.

You are going into DR. Doom mode again. KC is not going to sign any deal put forth to him right now. He his holding all the cards. The bottom line here is that we will have the final say if we want him here or not. Im not worried about it at all. You guys are freaking out.

Again I will simply point out, there are very GOOD reasons why people think that if Kirk plays on the tag this year, we loose him next year. Why would he want to stay after three years basically of the team saying... well we need to see a little more. And no matter WHAT he gets paid, you in particular will scream he was over paid and we would have been better off taking one of the ten elite prospects in next years draft. But I get it, you wanna hedge your bet.

Personally I think if he plays on the tag, he is gone next year no matter how he performs. I think he has enough confidence in himself that he would be more than fine going some place where he is clearly wanted as apposed to staying some place where he constantly proves himself only to be told.. still not good enough.

As for the Skins having final say, the Niners and Browns will both have twice the cap space of the Skins next year, so the truth is, unless we give him the exclusive rights tag, they can simply outbid us and configure the deal in such a way that we cant match it even if we were willing.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I will simply point out, there are very GOOD reasons why people think that if Kirk plays on the tag this year, we loose him next year. Why would he want to stay after three years basically of the team saying... well we need to see a little more. And no matter WHAT he gets paid, you in particular will scream he was over paid and we would have been better off taking one of the ten elite prospects in next years draft. But I get it, you wanna hedge your bet.

Personally I think if he plays on the tag, he is gone next year no matter how he performs. I think he has enough confidence in himself that he would be more than fine going some place where he is clearly wanted as apposed to staying some place where he constantly proves himself only to be told.. still not good enough.

As for the Skins having final say, the Niners and Browns will both have twice the cap space of the Skins next year, so the truth is, unless we give him the exclusive rights tag, they can simply outbid us and configure the deal in such a way that we cant match it even if we were willing.

Dr. Doom is in the house. You are speculating that KC wants out next year no matter what.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Doom is in the house. You are speculating that KC wants out next year no matter what.

IM looking at this from a realistic point of view. If he plays on the tag, his agent will advise him to at least talk to other teams to gauge his market. Now the Niners will likely have about $115M in cap space, and the browns $118M in cap space.

So as i have said, unless we franchise him, why wouldnt either team make him an offer we simply cant match. You think Kirk still needs to prove himself. I think if he comes even close to the standard you expect he has to reach, then the Niners would have no problem making him an offer that he cant refuse and we cant match.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IM looking at this from a realistic point of view. If he plays on the tag, his agent will advise him to at least talk to other teams to gauge his market. Now the Niners will likely have about $115M in cap space, and the browns $118M in cap space.

So as i have said, unless we franchise him, why wouldnt either team make him an offer we simply cant match. You think Kirk still needs to prove himself. I think if he comes even close to the standard you expect he has to reach, then the Niners would have no problem making him an offer that he cant refuse and we cant match.

Those are way too early projections. A lot has to happen between now and then. We will see how this year plays out and go from there.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are way too early projections. A lot has to happen between now and then. We will see how this year plays out and go from there.

Like I said dude... 99% of the NFL universe has realized that if Kirk isnt signed long term this year, he is gone next year.

You, Bruce Allen and Fez from that 70's show apparently make up the other 1%

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said dude... 99% of the NFL universe has realized that if Kirk isnt signed long term this year, he is gone next year.

You, Bruce Allen and Fez from that 70's show apparently make up the other 1%

that is totally untrue. if that is your opinion so be it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is totally untrue. if that is your opinion so be it.

3) Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington Redskins

Free agent in: 2018

The Redskins should've given him franchise-quarterback money last offseason. Now they're spinning their wheels for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Is Cousins the perfect quarterback? No. Is Cousins a fine fit for Jay Gruden and these Redskins? Yes. And he continues to get better. Cousins has spent the past two years rewriting Washington's record book -- he deserves respect from the franchise. The Redskins seem to be forgetting one important thing about this league ...

There are two types of teams in the NFL: Those that have quarterbacks and those that don't.

Why would this franchise actively choose to go backward? And the threat of Cousins leaving next offseason for San Francisco (and his old offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan) looms large.

Look around, see how many people think that Kirk going to the Niners next year is a real big possibility. So its not just my opinion, its the prevailing opinion that if he isnt signed long term now, he wont be here next year.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3) Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington Redskins

Free agent in: 2018

The Redskins should've given him franchise-quarterback money last offseason. Now they're spinning their wheels for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Is Cousins the perfect quarterback? No. Is Cousins a fine fit for Jay Gruden and these Redskins? Yes. And he continues to get better. Cousins has spent the past two years rewriting Washington's record book -- he deserves respect from the franchise. The Redskins seem to be forgetting one important thing about this league ...

There are two types of teams in the NFL: Those that have quarterbacks and those that don't.

Why would this franchise actively choose to go backward? And the threat of Cousins leaving next offseason for San Francisco (and his old offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan) looms large.

Look around, see how many people think that Kirk going to the Niners next year is a real big possibility. So its not just my opinion, its the prevailing opinion that if he isnt signed long term now, he wont be here next year.

If KC wins with us this year and he bolts for the 49ers just b/c of money that is crap. I hope the trans tag is put on him next year.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KC wins with us this year and he bolts for the 49ers just b/c of money that is crap. I hope the trans tag is put on him next year.

Bullshit.

If you helped make your company a top 1% earner as a contractor, and another company offered you more money, would you stay out of some sense of loyalty after three years of them telling you that you arent good enough??

My guess is, you would take your talents to the highest bidder after three years of your company saying.. we want to keep you, but only if you either take less than you could make elsewhere, or prove to us you are the best person in your field hands down.

And let me ask you, if Cousins has another record setting year, and the team finishes 8-8, are you going to be one saying well he had a good year statistically, but the record shows he isnt elite.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit.

If you helped make your company a top 1% earner as a contractor, and another company offered you more money, would you stay out of some sense of loyalty after three years of them telling you that you arent good enough??

My guess is, you would take your talents to the highest bidder after three years of your company saying.. we want to keep you, but only if you either take less than you could make elsewhere, or prove to us you are the best person in your field hands down.

And let me ask you, if Cousins has another record setting year, and the team finishes 8-8, are you going to be one saying well he had a good year statistically, but the record shows he isnt elite.

The problem with you is that you are way too in love with the stats. You know that his passing yards was inflated last year b/c of garbage time in games. When we needed a score to win a game we were settling for FG's and relying on the defense. Of course KC can get better but lets face it he has no chance of winning with the 49ers, Browns, or Jets next year. If he leaves its b/c of money. Don't give me this shit he is not wanted. IF he wins and plays well this season they will give him a long term deal.

KC says that he loves his coach, teammates, and the DC area. I need to see more improvement out of KC to give him a record setting contract. Just my opinion. If he pulls this bullshit of tanking the last month of Dec then there are huge questions to be asked here. Plus his stats are over blown b/c we had basically no running game in the last 2 years.

I want to see more TD passes and less INT's. Yards don't mean shit. I want to see KC win games. I want to see KC to have good decision making and clock management skills. This is a huge season.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was after the 2015 season. They didn't want to give him that 44mg after one good season.

Ok. He put up another good season and should be paid fair market value for a two year pro bowl QB on the open market.

The 19 million with 44 guaranteed was the going rate for a one year wonder on the open market.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with you is that you are way too in love with the stats. You know that his passing yards was inflated last year b/c of garbage time in games. When we needed a score to win a game we were settling for FG's and relying on the defense. Of course KC can get better but lets face it he has no chance of winning with the 49ers, Browns, or Jets next year. If he leaves its b/c of money. Don't give me this shit he is not wanted. IF he wins and plays well this season they will give him a long term deal.

KC says that he loves his coach, teammates, and the DC area. I need to see more improvement out of KC to give him a record setting contract. Just my opinion. If he pulls this bullshit of tanking the last month of Dec then there are huge questions to be asked here. Plus his stats are over blown b/c we had basically no running game in the last 2 years.

I want to see more TD passes and less INT's. Yards don't mean shit. I want to see KC win games. I want to see KC to have good decision making and clock management skills. This is a huge season.

You want to know who puts up garbage time stats...your boy Andrew Luck.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope you get your wish. I hope he plays on the tag, because I think he will once again improve. I also think that despite all the additions the defense will still be the anchor that weighs this team down. As for his contract, I think it is being used as an excuse to keep chasing the next elite prospect. And I actually hope you get your wish there as well. Because while you are saying Kirk will never be good enough, much like Brad Johnson, I suspect he will be the QB to leave Washington and win a Lombardi else where.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but Luck has had more success than KC as of right now. Has won more big games. Besides the Eagles game to get us in the playoffs what big game has KC actually won?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you get your wish. I hope he plays on the tag, because I think he will once again improve. I also think that despite all the additions the defense will still be the anchor that weighs this team down. As for his contract, I think it is being used as an excuse to keep chasing the next elite prospect. And I actually hope you get your wish there as well. Because whilee you are saying Kirk will never be ood enough, much like Brad Johnson, I suspect he will be the QB to leave Washington and win a Lombardi else where.

that is laughable that Kc will win the Super bowl elsewhere with the three teams that I mentioned. I never said KC will never be good enough. I want to see more from him this year. KC wants to play on the tag. He wants to bet on himself so he can get the most possible money next year. Fine with me. Prove it to me this year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shark this is typical move the goalpost BS people do . this time last season the mantra was "prove it then pay him " .
he does it and now they want something else

KC has been a top 85 player in the nfl for the PAST 2 SEASONS . what more does it take ?

its this bumbling FO that is at fault . you had your chance to sign him to a reasonable deal and you shoved your finger up your ass and got shown up . now you have to pay him

then we have MR 20/20 hindsight captain bet hedger talking about so called facts

fact is he could leave

i think he stays because the vibe i am getting is negotiations are moving forward but to say we cant lose him is just plain stupid