• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get the transition tag no matter what. My question to you is lets say the 49ers make an offer to KC on the transition tag and the Skins match it. Can KC say I don't want to play for the Skins and sign with the 49ers? Does KC have control on where he plays on the transition tag next year?

Shark beat me to it. We can't just match the deal the 49ers give. They have more room to play with the cap.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a LTD can we worked out before the transition tag is even placed on him? Yes the 49ers could get tricky with the numbers but if they are picking top 3 next year a rookie QB could be in there interests. Its all speculation of course.

At that point we would be looking at the third year in a row that the redskins had a chance to give Kirk a LTD that he would accept, short of us winning the Super Bowl, what makes you think Bruce wont lowball him again and then use some sort of tag as he has been hinting at all off season.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At that point we would be looking at the third year in a row that the redskins had a chance to give Kirk a LTD that he would accept, short of us winning the Super Bowl, what makes you think Bruce wont lowball him again and then use some sort of tag as he has been hinting at all off season.

If KC wins a playoff game very doubtful a lowball deal would be offered to him. At that point I expect danny to step in and get it done.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a Qb who is a proven winner of I am paying top dollar for that person. You can strike gold in the draft. Just b/c a qb puts up great numbers doesn't mean he is going to succeed in a new team and new system.

KC is a proven winner. He has been the man for two years. We have winning records in both. We are in the toughest division in football. He has set records both years. I guarantee if he was a first round pick that had the luxury of sitting behind Favre, and then put up these last two seasons.

Let's say you try to strike gold by reaching for an unproven QB and miss, which is 90% likely. Now, that pick could have been JJ Watt. Or, better yet...let us play hindsight...

The 2012 draft. What if we hadn't trade up for RG3 and didn't reach for a QB. We could have had the following...

2012, round 1- Luke Kuechly
2012, round 2- Alshon Jeffrey
2013, round 1- Xavier Rhodes
2014, round 1- Zack Martin

We discussed every one of those guys on here. Can you imagine KC with those draft picks on this team?
I didn't even think about that part of KC's success. He hasn't had the luxury of veteran players drafted high on this team.

If you want one of these highly regarded prospects you are wetting yourself for, where the chances are 1 out of 4 of these guys will live up to the hype, you will have to trade away a whole bunch of picks because KC will continue his success.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KC wins a playoff game very doubtful a lowball deal would be offered to him. At that point I expect danny to step in and get it done.

Again, you are hedging the bet though. If Cousins hands the team a lead with 2 minutes left, and the defense collapses as they were prone to do, does Kirk get again blamed for that loss??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you are hedging the bet though. If Cousins hands the team a lead with 2 minutes left, and the defense collapses as they were prone to do, does Kirk get again blamed for that loss??

No but when he implodes the last month of the season I do.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the thing, if a starting QB costs you in the range of 20-25M a year, how is it overpaying?? Right now there are 8 QBs making $21M or more this year. If winning means everything, then there are quite a few QBs being overpaid by your criteria.

OK, Lets look at the Top paid QBS in the game.....

Brady -- GOAT

Luck -- Higher upside than any other QB in the game right now. THATS what the Colts are hedging their bets on. Has all the physical and mental tools to be the next Manning/Brady.

Brees -- Super Bowl winner

Flacco -- Super Bowl winner

Rodgers -- See above

Wilson -- Again...

Roethlisberger -- See above

Manning -- See above AGAIN!

Newton -- AGAIN!!

Ryan -- Got his team to the SB this year...

Palmer/Rivers -- 13-14 year veterans who have done it over the long haul. Never won the big one but have been solid. Realistically, Cousins is probably as close to these guys as anyone, only they have done it for ALOT longer than two years...

Cousins -- 5 year veteran, a playoff appearance, a couple nice seasons, but lets pay him significantly more than these guys....He shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as these "losers":think:

upload_2017-5-19_13-23-22.png

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brady -- GOAT

Luck -- Higher upside than any other QB in the game right now. THATS what the Colts are hedging their bets on. Has all the physical and mental tools to be the next Manning/Brady.

Rodgers -- See above

Wilson -- Again...

Newton -- AGAIN!!

Palmer/Rivers -- 13-14 year veterans who have done it over the long haul. Never won the big one but have been solid. Realsitically, Cousins is probably as close to these guys as anyone, only they have done it for ALOT longer than two years...

Cousins -- 5 year veteran, a playoff win, a couple nice seasons, but lets pay him siginificantly more than these guys....He shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as these "losers":think:

View attachment 160086

Kc does not have playoff win.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixed...Thanks...Got happy fingers...

its a great post. If Carr or Stafford sign soon then we might see a LTD for KC. I just don't think he signs a LTD this offseason.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brady -- GOAT

Rodgers -- See above

Wilson -- Again...

Newton -- AGAIN!!

Palmer/Rivers -- 13-14 year veterans who have done it over the long haul. Never won the big one but have been solid. Realsitically, Cousins is probably as close to these guys as anyone, only they have done it for ALOT longer than two years...

Cousins -- 5 year veteran, a playoff win, a couple nice seasons, but lets pay him siginificantly more than these guys....He shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as these "losers":think:

View attachment 160086

What you seem to not want to accept is, the cost of a QB is NOT going to go down. So saying he is over paid or will be over paid is like saying, well I bought my last truck for $14K, so why should I now pay $19K for the same model truck?? Because prices rarely go down is the answer.

As I mentioned before, we really only have two choices here...

1. Pay Kirk and continue to build the team

2. Dont pay him and go back into the quest for an elite QB.

Now with a 75% over all failure rate, and more like a 95% failure rate for this team, I think paying the going rate for a GOOD QB is a small price to pay for not taking the chance that we trade up for and draft the next RG3/Leaf/Jamarcus

Because lets be real, if this team finishes 8-8, we will be trying to trade up for a QB if Kirk isnt already on a long term deal. And desperation is why we over extended on the last failed experiment.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you seem to not want to accept is, the cost of a QB is NOT going to go down. So saying he is over paid or will be over paid is like saying, well I bought my last truck for $14K, so why should I now pay $19K for the same model truck?? Because prices rarely go down is the answer.

Now with a 75% over all failure rate, and more like a 95% failure rate for this team, I think paying the going rate for a GOOD QB is a small price to pay for not taking the chance that we trade up for and draft the next RG3/Leaf/Jamarcus

Because lets be real, if this team finishes 8-8, we will be trying to trade up for a QB if Kirk isnt already on a long term deal. And desperation is why we over extended on the last failed experiment.

I see your point. But what if KC wants more gmoney than Carr and Stafford. What would you say then?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. But what if KC wants more gmoney than Carr and Stafford. What would you say then?

That it is the price we have to pay because we have screwed up the QB position for going on 20 years now. I have zero sympathy for Dans wallet, because at the end of the day, its a drop in the bucket to him. We have had multiple opportunities to get Kirk signed at a lower cost than what it would be today. When they made him starter, they still insisted on playing games and lowballing him. Last year, they decided they needed to see it again, he produced (maybe not to elite level), but he produced enough that if he had hit the open market this year, he would have gotten a deal better than Lucks. So they tagged him again. You cant sit there and drive the price up then itch that it costs too much when you finally do decide you are willing to pay.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That it is the price we have to pay because we have screwed up the QB position for going on 20 years now. I have zero sympathy for Dans wallet, because at the end of the day, its a drop in the bucket to him. We have had multiple opportunities to get Kirk signed at a lower cost than what it would be today. When they made him starter, they still insisted on playing games and lowballing him. Last year, they decided they needed to see it again, he produced (maybe not to elite level), but he produced enough that if he had hit the open market this year, he would have gotten a deal better than Lucks. So they tagged him again. You cant sit there and drive the price up then itch that it costs too much when you finally do decide you are willing to pay.

Never happen. Lets say Carr signs in the next month. No way Danny is going to pay KC more than Carr. Danny has been known to be a nut when its comes to contracts but I cant see KC getting more than Carr right now. If both Stafford and Carr get deals done in the next month and KC still doesn't sign then we all know that he wants to hit FA next year and is all about the money assuming a fair LTD is offered by the Skins.

IMO if the Skins offered KC the Luck deal right now KC would turn it down. Which is total bs. The Luck deal for Kc right now is more than fair. just my opinion.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree with you Shark. I understand the price of QBs will only continue to go up. Where we do disagree is where Cousins is worth more than guys like Wilson and Newton who are similar in age, but have Super Bowls under their belt. Why should KC get a contract SIGNIFiCANTLY better than theirs?? Only a couple years after they sign it...because we gagged it and he is butthurt over it? Nonsense. 2 years ago when they were winning Super Bowls KC was still riding the pine. Just think about that for a moment.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus we are not factoring in the Gruden extension. If the Skins didn't want KC here why would they extend Gruden?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see the under current if hate dean has for KC

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see the under current if hate dean has for KC

What the hell are you talking about? plus proofread your messages before posting. no hate here.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you Shark. I understand the price of QBs will only continue to go up. Where we do disagree is where Cousins is worth more than guys like Wilson and Newton who are similar in age, but have Super Bowls under their belt. Why should KC get a contract SIGNIFiCANTLY better than theirs?? Only a couple years after they sign it...because we gagged it and he is butthurt over it? Nonsense. 2 years ago when they were winning Super Bowls KC was still riding the pine. Just think about that for a moment.

Because we gagged it is exactly why he should and will get a better deal. It has nothing to do with him being butthurt, and everything to do with us failing to commit in a timely manner. We could have signed him for $20M per year on average a year ago, that was his ask.. we offered him $15M a year. So now a year later, we have basically said you are worth $24M a year to us by tagging him yet again. Why should he take LESS money??

Right now you would consider Kirk at $20M annually a bargain right?? Too bad they didnt make that offer until THEY drove his price up to $24M a year.