• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a sense the Skins are refusing to pay KC the amount... that their paying him now. Crazy stuff when you think of it.

IMO the only way KC plays here next year is if we get to at least a conference championship game. (a stretch).. He then would see that he could get paid and have a possible chance at a nice career run. The pressure would be on him then... how idiotic would he appear to be to go to a SF or elsewhere that isn't that close at a SB run and go down as the likes of a Brunnel, or some other pretty good QB who never had the team to get it done... all for a few million more. Not likely... I think KC wants rings and not just to be viewed as the highest paid player if just briefly till another contract for someone comes along. He would say,, this team gives me the best chance... however, I don't see us in that particular game this year so I believe he will bolt from the skins clutch for that few million more... heck, even at the same price I see him gone from us.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which would be insanely stupid. In that case (assuming that they keep him) they either guarantee him $70M+ while not keeping him past next season or effectively up his overall guaranteed money to an insane level. All to protect I guess against the possibly of injury or very poor play this season which IMO are improbable. The other factor I guess is ego - the trademark of Snyder.

I sure hope that you are correct about them agreeing to a LTD by Mon.
it makes sense for both parties , i think it gets done

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the skins FO to wait makes no sense . reptec is right , they are griping about paying him what they are paying him now .? dumb just plain dumb and its their own fault .

next season it goes up tp 28-35 mil unless you want to tag him again in 19 for 40 plus mil

its stupid

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
washington redskins , the new houston texans , great defense , decent running game and wrs no damn qb 8-8 forever

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the skins FO to wait makes no sense . reptec is right , they are griping about paying him what they are paying him now .? dumb just plain dumb and its their own fault .

next season it goes up tp 28-35 mil unless you want to tag him again in 19 for 40 plus mil

its stupid

Actually you cant tag him again in 2019.

Rules state the tag can be used no more than three consecutive times on one player. Now they could offer him a one year deal at $50M in 19, then turn around and tag him again in 2020 at a cost of a cool $60M.

But that would mean THEY had paid Kirk

2016 20M
2017 24M
2018 34M
2019 50M
2020 60M

For a grand total of $191M once you throw in his rookie contract, or $21M a year over his playing career.

You Like That??

Post edited, switched out THEY from we.... #Notmymoney

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you cant tag him again in 2019.

Rules state the tag can be used no more than three consecutive times on one player. Now they could offer him a one year deal at $50M in 19, then turn around and tag him again in 2020 at a cost of a cool $60M.
Actually that's not true. I thought so too until i read the tag provisions of the CBA (I'm an nerdy attorney, shoot me).

1. - The CBA does not explicitly forbid a player from being tagged more than 3 times. However based on the language used, a lawyer could make a decent argument that it is impliedly forbidden anyway.

2. - Whether a player has been tagged consecutively or not does not matter. A 3rd tag, even nonconsecutively, even if given by 2 different teams over a 7 year span, still counts as a 3rd tag and the 44% raise applies. That was established during Brees' grievance against the Saints back 2012. The NFL ruled that even though the Bolts tagged him in 2005, the Saints tag in 2012 counted as tag #2, so if they decided to tag him again in 2013, that would be 3 total franchise tags, and would entitle Brees to a 44% raise.

3. - Even if the NFL determined that players can be tagged more than 3 times, that 4th tag would still entail paying out a 44% raise over and above the 44% raise the team just handed out the previous year. No team could afford that kind of payout. In Cousins' case, that would mean he'd get 34M in 2018 (tag 3) and 48.96M in 2019 (tag 4) and 70.5M in 2020 (tag 5), and 101.5M in 2021 (tag 6).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that's not true. I thought so too until i read the tag provisions of the CBA (I'm an nerdy attorney, shoot me).

1. - The CBA does not explicitly forbid a player from being tagged more than 3 times. However based on the language used, a lawyer could make a decent argument that it is impliedly forbidden anyway.

2. - Whether a player has been tagged consecutively or not does not matter. A 3rd tag, even nonconsecutively, even if given by 2 different teams over a 7 year span, still counts as a 3rd tag and the 44% raise applies. That was established during Brees' grievance against the Saints back 2012. The NFL ruled that even though the Bolts tagged him in 2005, the Saints tag in 2012 counted as tag #2, so if they decided to tag him again in 2013, that would be 3 total franchise tags, and would entitle Brees to a 44% raise.

3. - Even if the NFL determined that players can be tagged more than 3 times, that 4th tag would still entail paying out a 44% raise over and above the 44% raise the team just handed out the previous year. No team could afford that kind of payout. In Cousins' case, that would mean he'd get 34M in 2018 (tag 3) and 48.96M in 2019 (tag 4) and 70.5M in 2020 (tag 5), and 101.5M in 2021 (tag 6).

Guess I will have to check on that again. But if this is correct, Dan could feasibly just keep Tagging Kirk until such time as he found his new golden child I guess. Not practical, but then again not outside the realm of the Redskins.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

its stupid
I agree. It's like the team is a year behind every season. 2017 is not a "let's see how he plays season." That's what the last 2 years were. 2017 will be about getting to free agency. Suppose he "only" throws for 3,500yds and 21TDs, and the team misses the playoffs again. KC's demand will GO UP. Just like the previous years, the 2017 contract demands won't get a deal done in 2018.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I will have to check on that again. But if this is correct, Dan could feasibly just keep Tagging Kirk until such time as he found his new golden child I guess. Not practical, but then again not outside the realm of the Redskins.
Lots of reports keep saying that a player can only be tagged 3 times, but it's simply not in the CBA. I was shocked to find that out.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess then they could label this as "fair value". Heck - if it goes wrong they can always blame it on their so-called drunken ex-GM. Morons.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC will go to another team and still never win 10 games hell even your god SM said KC has peeked or whatever we will be fine p.s could be do or die season for andy dalton which is better then kirk i like how the front office is doing

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used the Exclusive tag because they were HOPING to rook some one for more than 2 first rounders, and didnt want to leave it open to get bargained down as we did in the Bailey for Portis trade.

Well, considering what desperate teams give up for a big time prospect that have never played a down in the NFL, I would think giving up 2-1sts and maybe even more for a top flight QB in his prime wouldn't be an issue at all. I have read no reports of the phone even ringing before the draft.:noidea:

Seems like both sides might be content with going forward on the tag. IF we transition him next year, he gets an offer sheet and we match or exceed that...is he forced to sign with us?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, considering what desperate teams give up for a big time prospect that have never played a down in the NFL, I would think giving up 2-1sts and maybe even more for a top flight QB in his prime wouldn't be an issue at all. I have read no reports of the phone even ringing before the draft.:noidea:

Giving up two first rounders AND $25M plus a year might have had something to do with it.

Look fellas, you get your wish... Kirk is basically on borrowed time. Next year they will make the argument that Kirk would cost too much, and the Redskins will once again be the team giving up multiple picks for a rookie.

Dont say i didnt warn you. :thumb:

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like the team is a year behind every season. 2017 is not a "let's see how he plays season." That's what the last 2 years were. KC's demand will GO UP. Just like the previous years, the 2017 contract demands won't get a deal done in 2018.

That's what is so frustrating about this LTD hold up. Get Cousins out of the way, and then upgrade the team, especially now since players may start leaning toward short term deals. The 'skins always beat the top teams, and even in the playoff losses it always comes down to that one play here or there...that if they had more overall talent
they would win.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like both sides might be content with going forward on the tag. IF we transition him next year, he gets an offer sheet and we match or exceed that...is he forced to sign with us?

well 1st off no one is paying that price for a one year rental when they can simply wait and get him at no draft pick expense .

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i will be apart of the "i told you so chorus to " shark

Its stupid to me how anyone would be down with letting a PB qb in his prime , after the 1st back to back winning seasons since the late 90's , and a top 6 qbr rating 2 years running , walk because they didnt want to pony up a 25avp deal with a reasonable guarantee.

and for what ? colt mccoy and sudfeld ? a rookie qb we dont even know who it is ?

congratulations we are the houston texans will all the parts ready to go but no qb .

an improved defense and we get 10 wins with KC this year , next year we get 6 with AJ mccarron , and a cast of nobodies at qb

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who think we will "simply match" the contract of other teams on the transition tag...can we match...

26 mil a season

5 years, 130 million structured 35 million, 35 million, 15 million, 15 million, 30 million

First two years fully guaranteed

There are other teams that can offer that.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who think we will "simply match" the contract of other teams on the transition tag...can we match...

26 mil a season

5 years, 130 million structured 35 million, 35 million, 15 million, 15 million, 30 million

If KC has a deep playoff run or shows the team he is the guy sure. The Redskins could always rework deals or cut players to get KC back with them next year. Look at what the Jets did to create cap room. Im sure Williams, Norman, and Kerrigan would rework contracts to get KC back here if he proves he is the guy that will make them win.

But if KC shows another December collapse you cant expect those guys to renegotiate their deals and no one would blame them. I hope KC proves everyone wrong and just carries this team into a deep playoff run. Then the transition tag will be slapped on him and we would match any deal offered. No way Danny says goodbye after a deep playoff run.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

26 mil a season

yes we can our cap would be 59 mil and 79 mil respectively