• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the same Ian Rapoport who earlier in the year reported that the Redskins were going to trade to get Tony Romo? LOL. Jeez - you hang on every stupid rumor that appears on the web. Let's just wait until Mon to see what happens.

Im just posting what is out there. take it easy

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its about what I expected

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so both are ok with the tag , not surprising . i think a deal will get don even though my odds are very long

if not then the price goes up next season

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it only costs more to wait , because they will tag him with something next season

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so both are ok with the tag , not surprising . i think a deal will get don even though my odds are very long

if not then the price goes up next season

My take, the team is betting on him to fail and if he doesnt, they will point to his contract demands as to why the HAD to draft a new QB.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take, the team is betting on him to fail and if he doesnt, they will point to his contract demands as to why the HAD to draft a new QB.

So no matter how the 217 season turns out you are giving a 0% chance of KC returning in 2018.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no matter how the 217 season turns out you are giving a 0% chance of KC returning in 2018.

Aside from them winning a Super Bowl, they are already looking to replace him

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins are making a monumental mistake I think we are going to have a damn good team this season and will be out of position to draft a QB we want and won't be able to tag him it will cost too much

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from them winning a Super Bowl, they are already looking to replace him

So if KC leads us to a playoff win or NFC championship game he is still gone by your opinion? If they put the transition tag on him and match the offer from the 49ers how is that not possible next year? Cmon Shark I wouldn't say 0% chance.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it only costs more to wait , because they will tag him with something next season

Which would be insanely stupid. In that case (assuming that they keep him) they either guarantee him $70M+ while not keeping him past next season or effectively up his overall guaranteed money to an insane level. All to protect I guess against the possibly of injury or very poor play this season which IMO are improbable. The other factor I guess is ego - the trademark of Snyder.

I sure hope that you are correct about them agreeing to a LTD by Mon.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if KC leads us to a playoff win or NFC championship game he is still gone by your opinion? If they put the transition tag on him and match the offer from the 49ers how is that not possible next year? Cmon Shark I wouldn't say 0% chance.

I think they already decided they want some one else. They tagged him because tanking the season would have looked bad. They used the Exclusive tag because they were HOPING to rook some one for more than 2 first rounders, and didnt want to leave it open to get bargained down as we did in the Bailey for Portis trade.

So yes short of Kirk being elite, I think they are going to move in a different direction no matter what.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they already decided they want some one else. They tagged him because tanking the season would have looked bad. They used the Exclusive tag because they were HOPING to rook some one for more than 2 first rounders, and didnt want to leave it open to get bargained down as we did in the Bailey for Portis trade.

So yes short of Kirk being elite, I think they are going to move in a different direction no matter what.

IF KC is as good as advertised the Skins will put the trans tag on him and match any offer. Then the true market value will be set in FA. I don't think there is a 0% chance he is gone. The 2017 season has a lot to do with it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF KC is as good as advertised the Skins will put the trans tag on him and match any offer. Then the true market value will be set in FA. I don't think there is a 0% chance he is gone. The 2017 season has a lot to do with it.

You dont get to a point where you dont even make an offer unless you have already decided to move on.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont get to a point where you dont even make an offer unless you have already decided to move on.

Why make an offer when KC wants to play on the tag?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't do a ltd, it'll be the trans tag next season. Skins are still gambling on this it seems

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BS! They have in NO way decided they want some one else. They want KC at fair value just like his camp keeps saying. The difference being what each side considers "fair value". If KC plays lights out and we make a playoff run, I'm of the opinion he stays no matter what because we will match any offer regardless of what that offer is.

I still say the Monday deadline is not out of reach to get this done.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS! They have in NO way decided they want some one else. They want KC at fair value just like his camp keeps saying. The difference being what each side considers "fair value". If KC plays lights out and we make a playoff run, I'm of the opinion he stays no matter what because we will match any offer regardless of what that offer is.

I hope that you are rt about Monday. Otherwise - the Redskins are being morons if they are holding out hope of signing him next offseason & getting him at "fair value". Barring injury or terrible play by Cousins if they sign him to a LTD at that time they will be overpaying him at a historic level for the NFL - just plain stupid (& after they have already paid him a ton for the last 2 seasons). It would make much more sense for them to park their ego at the door & yes perhaps overpay him to a degree.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the "strong indication" is Kirk Cousins will play out this season under the franchise tag.

RapSheet adds, "Both sides are OK with it." They have until Monday to work out a long-term deal, but no one seems to think it will happen. Both Adam Schefter and John Keim of ESPN have called it a "long shot" while NFL Network's Charley Casserly said he does not "see any way" a deal gets done. Considering it would cost Washington $34.5 million to tag Cousins next year, failing to reach a deal now will almost guarantee the quarterback hits free agency next spring.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jul 13 - 8:34 AM

Ian's report almost seems worthless. There is nothing solid or new.
As a common fan, with a decent amount of knowledge(based on the history of the FO) I'd say no deal will be done by the deadline. However I'd bet with the work Kirk has shown, if he can lead the team to a playoff win, THEN they will offer him a contract that...at the time...will make him the highest paid QB in the league.

The only reason he may except it after the mistreatment would be the success and his newborn IMO

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You act as if the two are mutually exclusive.

Its quite possible they have decided they simply dont want Cousins long term without having a clear plan on what they will do at the position once he is gone.

To me it makes no sense to drop another $24M into a guy that you stand ANY chance of losing next year.

So I think its quite possible they have decided to ride Kirk out this year, and short of him becoming what would be considered elite, move on in a different direction. How many full blown arguments have we had around here alone saying Kirk is not worth $X amount over the past two years. And should he play lights out, people are talking $30M+ going forward. And unless we have won a Lombardi and he was the main reason, the same old points will likely be brought up.

So yea, I think they have decided to move on if they play him on the tag this year.

Yea we have until Monday, but Im not expecting a deal to get done.