• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds and Bailey nearing 6 yr 100 mil extension

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bailey's deal accelerates throughout, according to a report from Joe Kay of the Associated Press. He will receive $9MM and $10MM over the next two years, then see a significant bump to $18MM in 2016, $19MM in 2017, $21MM in 2018, and $23MM in 2019.
Notably, a significant portion of each year's annual salary will be deferred until the month of November, after the end of each season covered. Kay says that Bailey's in-season salaries will be $3MM (2014), $4MM (2015), $11MM (2016), $12MM (2017), $14MM (2018), and $15MM (2019), with the remainder deferred to the fall of each year. Likewise, the $5MM buyout of the mutual option year is deferred until the following November, if it becomed payable.
If Bailey is dealt, however, that aspect of the contract is swept away and he would receive all money during the appropriate season (or, in the case of the buyout, at the point that the option is declined). It is unclear whether the deal contains additional no-trade protection.

I never have researched contracts very often but this seems like a unique deal. Is there a reason why they're waiting to pay the majority of his yearly salary in November? The writer doesn't really get into as to why they're doing it that way. Is there an advantage in doing this as far as team payroll goes?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a long reply on this W-L thing but hit the wrong button and it didn't save.
It dealt with W-L and how that relates to Felix Hernandez. I forget what point I was trying to make.
Trust me, it was a big deal.

Fans who only understand W-L, HR, RBI and BA ought to confine their interest to buying a ticket, finding a parking space and hanging out at the concessions booth.

Anyway, the November deal is apparently important from a club fiscal point and really isn't related much to anything the fans ought to care about. I believe somebody else pointed that out and said it was similar to something in the Votto contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract climbs with years...like prices of most things...like ticket prices for instance. It makes sense in case you gotta dump in 3 years too. I don't know about trade limitation clauses- if there are any. The Marlins refuse to offer no-trade clauses for example, but many other teams will give a player x nber if teams they can choose from, or exclude, etc. Plus, the hope is Bailey is worth more each year, and personally I think he has as a better chance of that than most, after two consecutive 200 IP years at 27. If he wins 3 more games than last year, it's a value at today's going rate.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the deferred payment question; fiscal year would be the obvious reason.

All we ever know about contracts and such in sports is what we read, mostly on the internet. It must be true if it's on the internet. Right???

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a long reply on this W-L thing but hit the wrong button and it didn't save.
It dealt with W-L and how that relates to Felix Hernandez. I forget what point I was trying to make.
Trust me, it was a big deal.

Fans who only understand W-L, HR, RBI and BA ought to confine their interest to buying a ticket, finding a parking space and hanging out at the concessions booth.

Anyway, the November deal is apparently important from a club fiscal point and really isn't related much to anything the fans ought to care about. I believe somebody else pointed that out and said it was similar to something in the Votto contract.

Every board has one douchebag. Looks like you're it here.

I was surprised by this deal. I think it's a bit of a stretch, but if he can just maintain what he did last season thru the length of the contract then I'm fine with it.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me riddle you this...Do you suppose the first 2 years of his contract is set at 9M and 10M because they anticipate some money to be available at that time his salary jumps to 18M? At that time, the "bad" contracts that is discussed among us will be expiring. e.g. Broxton,Ludwick,Marshall

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me riddle you this...Do you suppose the first 2 years of his contract is set at 9M and 10M because they anticipate some money to be available at that time his salary jumps to 18M? At that time, the "bad" contracts that is discussed among us will be expiring. e.g. Broxton,Ludwick,Marshall

Plus, new tv deal.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd assume TV deal as well.

Most of the Reds contracts are back loaded with some having deferred money. Votto's deal and escalating salary kick corresponds to the same time frame.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every board has one douchebag. Looks like you're it here

Kramer...I've read and shared posts with John and 1507 since the CBS days years ago. I don't post very often but I was on CBS (and now SportsHoopla) almost every single day to read up on the news of my favorite teams. I have always enjoyed in their thoughts, ideas, and opinions. Both of them are very intelligent in the game of baseball. I don't want to speak for John but I'm willing to bet that he is referring to trolls and the obnoxious fans who only watch 5 games a year and then go on message boards spewing their non-sense. I know that my previous posts above, I was mainly referring to the CBS site when the news broke yesterday about his contract. There were a lot posters over there who refused to come to terms with the fact that wins and losses for a SP doesn't mean jack about how good a pitcher is.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That seems like a fairly standard procedure over the length of these deals.
I recall, years back, when the then-shocking deal was made with Magic Johnson, wherein he would earn $25 million. That was a breathtaker of a deal until it was explained that it was set up to put $5 million in the bank and pay him the contract based on investment income over 20 years. It was still a lot of dough and I don't recall the particulars of how the investments were supposed to work.

In any case, nobody just writes a check for $18 million and, plus, you can't cash it at Bumfuck State Bank.

("Small bills, please.")

So the point is, I would guess that the way contracts are drawn up are connected to future revenues or at worst, sensible investments of money tied to a player's name. I would imagine the agent skims his 17 percent right off the top, however.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno about intelligence on my part, but I appreciate the benifit of the doubt, wvu_man.

Sometimes I see a little grumpier old men in my and JohnU's posts...some days are just a bitch. This forum is a good place to talk Reds, and of course, usually involved some whining too.... Except for Ryan, with whom hope springs eternal...a good thing often ruined by life over time.

I don't miss the trolls, many I suspect are kids, drunks, high or mentally / emotionally challenged deviants of some kind. Disagreements and differences of opinion are good, otherwise it's like talking to yourself...hard to learn anything like that.

A lot of baseball fans are casual fans, and that's cool. Most people say baseball is too slow for them- prefer NFL, basketball, etc... I understand I suppose, but as a former catcher and coach, I'm always thinking along with them...the game within the game doesn't translate well to TV, IMO. I'm not into the step out scratch and adjust on every pitch...in the day, they'd get some chin music and would get to business quicker- the umpires are slackers about that stuff now...I'm also not into instant replay reviews all the time, and not into all the situational relievers that take 15 minutes to throw 3 pitches either....and REALLY not into the managers that take all that time to bring in the LOOGY, then LEAVE him in to give up 2 hits to a matchup against righty hitters. If you gotta do it, do it right, don't half ass it.

Way off topic.

I'm more of a Bailey fan since he started doing things coaches had to have been telling him for years, until he got pounded into listening to them. Humility is usually not gifted like a 95 mph fastball, it's usually learned, often, from SP's relying on nothing but the 95 mph fastball. He still needs to pay attention to runners more, and get a better pickoff move. He needs to throw the splitter in fastball counts a little more.
He needs to not forget the offseason work it took to get to the next level, and he needs to remember the working class people of LaGrange, Tx. and OH,WVA,IN,KY, etc. watching him are good motivation to be humble and appreciative. A lot of Pujols forget all that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think sometimes they could do a commercial between Broxton's first pitch and his second pitch.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people say baseball is too slow for them- prefer NFL, basketball, etc... I understand I suppose, but as a former catcher and coach, I'm always thinking along with them...the game within the game doesn't translate well to TV, IMO.

I became a Red fan when I was 7 years old. I guess that's the age that I become interested in sports because I also choose the Giants and Bulls (yes,they all won championships that year...don't judge me haha). About that same time, my Dad (who loves WVU football and basketball but DESPISES baseball) made the decision to get rid of all the TV's,computers, gaming systems. He said that there was too much garbage on TV and we didn't need that in our family. Truth be known, he was and still is probably right. I did have the privilege and honor to listen to Joe and Marty as a kid on the local radio station in Spencer,WV. They used to broadcast a few games but stopped for some reason. So, I guess I lost contact with the world of baseball and it wasn't until I turned 19 and moved out that I got my own satellite and was lucky enough to be in the FSN Cincinnati region. I always liked baseball but didn't develop a love for it until then. I realized how little I knew about the game. Like I said, Dad hated baseball so what I knew about it, I learned on my own. I did pick up on somethings over the years from Welsh and Brantley. I've never really watched/listened to other analysts so I don't know how they compare to others. But I appreciate the "game within the game" that you're referring to and I love learning more about it. That's why I enjoy reading yours and John's posts. You almost never have a simple answer...you go more in depth about things ranging from pitch counts to players contracts. I just hope that when my wife and I start "hatchin' out youngins" that I can pass on my love for the sport to them. I've already told her that if we have any boys, that they're all going to the Red's baseball camp every year! With my size, they wouldn't have the genes to play football or basketball so I'm gonna try to raise a switch hitting catcher or a flame throwing southpaw lol...Anyways, I appreciate all of you guys that post on here and look forward to the upcoming season! :suds:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that flame-throwing southpaw happens to be a girl, there are some fairly nice scholarships available if she enjoys the women's game.

I do think most kids, unless their dads are coaches or former players, pick up the particulars of baseball by watching, playing and discussing it. My dad played ball so I have it in my DNA, but what knowledge I have is shared from listening to people who know about it. I have very few original thoughts.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been watching the Reds since 1973. Seen 3 championships and seen all the losing seasons. I was so frustrated with this club for the last 3 years because the nucleus is here. The pieces of the puzzle seem to be in place but not the coaching staff. Hopefully that is now fixed. Time will tell but I have a lot of confidence in Bryan Price. I believe he was the right man for the job because he is the one person who can make people around him better. If he did it with the pitching staff, he may very well do it with other coaches and players. It will be interesting to see how Price's plate philosophy will be. Will he stop all the power swingers and turn them into contact hitters? Bunt more? Steal more? Hit behind the runner? Dustmop never instilled hitting fundamentals into the Reds players the whole time he was here wasting this talent. In just a little over a month, we are gonna find out.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen on his Facebook link:

1620577_704154146282894_1530468937_n.jpg

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to kids and sports:

Sports are supposed to be good for kids- exercise, fresh air, keeps otherwise destructive energy occupied, teaches teamwork, sportsmanship ( or how to win without being obnoxious and how to hate losing but still be polite ), etc.

Many times, parents (especially those who are volunteer coaches)become an impediment to all that. They put too much pressure on the kids. They make success or failure a life changing event. For many kids, it becomes a task instead of play. Combine that in a society that thinks everyone should be rewarded regardless of results, it conversely often retards work ethic for sake of a false sense of entitlement. Psychologically, it undo's a lot of the better benefits of sports.

I have some possibly disappointing news. It is my experience that all kids should learn trying hard,learning to be a contributing role player, and being ok with the best they can do...and not just stop there, but find something they love enough to want to keep working at, and improving at. Most times, kids enjoy what they are good at, which supports my belief that almost 100% of pro athletes were born with superior physical skills, that an average athlete can never catch up with no matter how much they practice, much less how many undeserved "select" teams they were picked for by their dad.

There is one exception to that theory- education. Average students can become superior performers with enough work. Their brain will make 99% of them a lot more money and happiness than their vertical leap, jumpshot or fastball will. The goal of every parent should be their kids grow up to be healthy and happy. Expecting or worse, making them expect to be the next LeBron James or Mike Trout, isn't likely to accomplish that. Take kids to a ball game- but leave when they're ready. Talk to them. Read with them. Play catch. Make them know as long as they truly do their best, you are proud of them.

Heres a big clue if you think your kid HAS THE right stuff ....There are plenty of people that get paid to notice, if Junior has a chance to make THEM money, you don't have to find them.