• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the ACC

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, and as excited as I was at their beatdown of UNC in Chapel Hill, I also realize that the conditions played perfectly to their strengths at the expense of UNC. Defense and a dual-threat QB has a huge advantage...

Can't feel bad for UNC. They've got Swofford and the ACC in their back pocket and Bubba still refused to move the game to Sunday or to Blacksburg.

I'm sure its closer with better weather, but I still think we win by 2 TDs.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson
Louisville
VT
UNC
FSU
Miami
Pitt
NCST
Wake Forest
GT
Syracuse
UVA
Duke
Boston College

Last edited:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente had to change the mentality of this team and he has done it thus far in a remarkably small amount of time. He just has to keep that foot down now. They actually believe they can win these games now and not just compete like in the recent Beamer years. The flip side to that is keeping their heads in the game and not pulling one of those "the brightest stars burn out twice as fast" moments. You can't let up after a good win. You have to go into games like this week @ Syracuse wanting it just as bad as you did UNC or Miami or w/e.

good example of how Fuente is changing things in Blacksburg

Beamer&co would have been playing patty cake with the grandkids instead of speaking.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing this in tiers:

Clemson
Louisville
(Think these two are far and away the best teams)

Virginia Tech
FSU
Miami
(I'd say almost no difference in these teams as of right now)

UNC
(kinda in the middle by themselves)

Pitt
NC State
Wake Forest
(I think Pitt is better than what their record is so I still have them higher than most. End of this tier is probably the cut off for bowl eligible teams at season's end)

Georgia Tech
UVA
Duke
Boston College
Syracuse
(Everyone else. None of these teams are all that good)

Lvste.Nole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing this in tiers:

Clemson
Louisville

Virginia Tech
FSU
Miami

UNC

Pitt
NC State
Wake Forest
(I think Pitt is better than what their record is so I still have them higher than most. End of this tier is probably the cut off for bowl eligible teams at season's end)

Georgia Tech
UVA
Duke
Boston College
Syracuse
Probably the best assessment.

Doesn't matter, really. FSU will get things worked out by next season and resume its rightful place at the top.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Clemson
2. Louisville
3. Virginia Tech
4. North Carolina
5. Florida State
6. Pittsburgh
7. Miami
8. NC State
9. Wake Forest
10. Georgia Tech
11. Duke
12. Syracuse
13. Virginia
14. Boston College

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see VT play Miami before i deem them better than FSU. It's certainly within reason though.

Having NCST ahead of them after them losing to ECU and VT destroying them is laughable. UVGhey fans typically vote for the cutest mascots and male cheerleaders though. :pout:
Just right now, quit being even semi-humble. It is a horrible look! :D

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of Miami hate here. Don't get me wrong I get it, but here is how a hick from Idaho sees it...

1. Clemson
2. Louisville
3. Virginia Tech
4. Miami
5. Florida State
6. North Carolina
7. Pittsburgh
8. Wake Forest
9. North Carolina State
10. Georgia Tech
11. Duke
12. Syracuse
13. Boston College
14. Virginia

Fucking great exercise by the way. Personally don't look at the ACC as a whole that often. Top to bottom this Conference may only be behind the SEC and right on par with the PAC.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three shanked kicks by the FSU kicker, FSU out gained them in total yards, and FSU had 120 penalty yards.

No doubt UNC won the game and thats all that matters, but FSU mostly beat themselves.

UNC had an extra point blocked, a field goal missed, fumbled on the goal line with a chance to go up 21 at the half and then roughed the kicker with another chance to get the ball late in the game to go up 21. UNC made that FSU defense look so bad.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. I don't know what Fuente did there, but they look like a completely different team from the Beamer Era, where EVERY game and EVERY opponent, no matter how good or bad, has a chance to beat the Hokies. I believe one of the reasons Bud looked so stressed out was that he knew he had to prop up the offense every single game. Frustrated Hokie fans blamed Stiney, natch, but this was Beamer's philosophy.

Fuente's philosophy is to drive nails into the coffin quickly then get backups plenty of snaps. I simply am not able to easily adapt to this wonderful transition, but it certainly appears Bud has. With large leads, Foster now can call defensive plays with reckless abandon, trying out multiple options he wouldn't dare use before for fear of giving up a long TD and either losing the leads or get further out of reach from winning. When Fuente told Bud, "You no longer have to be perfect every drive," Bud responded, "You don't know me." Well, perhaps Bud didn't know Fuente, either. They both know each other now, and for Hokie fans, it appears to be a match made in heaven...
How long are you going to be able to keep Fuente? Seems like there are going to be a lot of openings with big money to throw at a coach.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long are you going to be able to keep Fuente? Seems like there are going to be a lot of openings with big money to throw at a coach.
Fuente was offered big money by so-called "name" teams, but immediately chose VT due to their extraordinary coaching stability. He doesn't strike me as a coaching honey bee, flitting from flower to flower. He keeps Bud there and he could stay there for a long time.

Don't know, though. Any team can lose their coach, but VT doesn't appear to be the type of school that throws their coach under the bus for averaging 10-3. The fans are not that entitled...

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuente was offered big money by so-called "name" teams, but immediately chose VT due to their extraordinary coaching stability. He doesn't strike me as a coaching honey bee, flitting from flower to flower. He keeps Bud there and he could stay there for a long time.

Don't know, though. Any team can lose their coach, but VT doesn't appear to be the type of school that throws their coach under the bus for averaging 10-3. The fans are not that entitled...
Thanks for the answer. Was just wondering.

Sounds like Gary Patterson type thinking...which would make sense, huh?

But, if I'm one of the big money schools, he'd be on the short list of coaches I'd go after.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the answer. Was just wondering.

Sounds like Gary Patterson type thinking...which would make sense, huh?

But, if I'm one of the big money schools, he'd be on the short list of coaches I'd go after.
If he pushes VT back to 10+ win seasons on a regular basis, as Beamer did, VT will once again become an elite team, capturing that 757 area code of great talent. If his offense matches Bud's defense consistently, he'll recruit nationally and no one would dream of seeing him leave...

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure how anyone can have FSU ranked ahead of North Carolina, or Miami ahead of FSU.

Me personally,

1. Clemson
2. Louisville
3. VT
4. North Carolina
5. FSU
6. Miami
7. Pitt
8. NC State
9. Wake
10. Duke
11. Georgia Tech
12. Syracuse
13. Virginia
14. Boston College

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson
Louisville
FSU
Miami
Va Tech/UNC -- played in a hurricane

Don't really care about the rest.

I do believe we are right there with the SEC as far as best conference in the country.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure how anyone can have FSU ranked ahead of North Carolina, or Miami ahead of FSU.

Me personally,

1. Clemson
2. Louisville
3. VT
4. North Carolina
5. FSU
6. Miami
7. Pitt
8. NC State
9. Wake
10. Duke
11. Georgia Tech
12. Syracuse
13. Virginia
14. Boston College

Winning on a last second FG then getting beatdown at home? I know it was in a hurricane but still.. Who has VT beat? They got destroyed by Tennesse and FSU beat Ole Miss. When it's all said and done, we will see where the ranking are.. but the only ones that really matter are Louisville and Clemson.

DeputyDodge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing this in tiers:

Clemson
Louisville

Virginia Tech
FSU
Miami

UNC

Pitt
NC State
Wake Forest

Georgia Tech
UVA
Duke
Boston College
Syracuse

I agree with this. Quality post

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning on a last second FG then getting beatdown at home? I know it was in a hurricane but still.. Who has VT beat? When it's said and done, we will see where the ranking are.. but the only ones that really matter are Louisville and Clemson.
I agree that the top two are Clemson and Louisville. But VT has turned it on the last few weeks. Is it a fluke? Maybe. But VT matters because they are the team with the best chance to ruin Clemson's shot at the playoffs. Fuente's offense is getting in gear

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure how anyone can have FSU ranked ahead of North Carolina,

Winning on an unlikely 54-yd FG as time expires doesn't make a team better than the other, IMO.

It's because people think it was an off day for FSU, and the overall talent disparity. That, coupled with recent slaughtering by an OK VT team is why someone would have FSU over UNC.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel the same way about folks ranking Duke ahead of UVa.