• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the ACC

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the top two are Clemson and Louisville. But VT has turned it on the last few weeks. Is it a fluke? Maybe. But VT matters because they are the team with the best chance to ruin Clemson's shot at the playoffs. Fuente's offense is getting in gear

VT hasn't played anyone. They got rolled by Tennessee. FSU beat their SEC opponent. VT got it rolling against BC, ECU, and beat UNC on the road in a hurricane. :wank:

If I was Clemson, i'd be more worried about the Noles in Tallahassee with nothing to play for. Still way too early to crown VT as the Coastal champ.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning on an unlikely 54-yd FG as time expires doesn't make a team better than the other, IMO.

It's because people think it was an off day for FSU, and the overall talent disparity. That, coupled with recent slaughtering by an OK VT team is why someone would have FSU over UNC.
Well, are we ranking based on results, or based on looks. I was going on results. UNC won on the road. While the margin might not be much, they still won and feel they should be given the nod. I don't feel like the VT game should have any impact on FSU.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT hasn't played anyone. They got rolled by Tennessee. FSU beat their SEC opponent. VT got it rolling against BC, ECU, and beat UNC on the road in a hurricane. :wank:

If I was Clemson, i'd be more worried about the Noles in Tallahassee with nothing to play for. Still way too early to crown VT as the Coastal champ.
Sure Clemson should be worried about the Noles. However, even if they lose that game, they will still be heading to the ACC champ game unless another unforeseeable screw up.
VT may not win the Coastal. They seem to have the hot hand tho right now. The VT-Miami game will tell alot. And Pitt will have a lot to say as well.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How long are you going to be able to keep Fuente? Seems like there are going to be a lot of openings with big money to throw at a coach.

Fuente has coached 5 games in a power 5 conference. He's not going anywhere for a while

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning on an unlikely 54-yd FG as time expires doesn't make a team better than the other, IMO.

It's because people think it was an off day for FSU, and the overall talent disparity. That, coupled with recent slaughtering by an OK VT team is why someone would have FSU over UNC.

An "OK" VT team might have beaten UNC by a TD or even lost, but OK Virginia Tech teams do I g slaughter any ranked teams. Might it be possible that this VT team, a team that dropped 49 points on a top 6 Boston College defense and outgained Tennessee by a hundred yards just MIGHT be more like those 11 win VT teams of the recent past, rather than the OK VT teams of the last four years?

TigersBleaux

Self-Deprecating
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,999.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC had an extra point blocked, a field goal missed, fumbled on the goal line with a chance to go up 21 at the half and then roughed the kicker with another chance to get the ball late in the game to go up 21. UNC made that FSU defense look so bad.

No doubt, UNCs hurry up offense definitely confused FSU. it's unfortunate that they played the game in a hurricane against VT because it was very apparent that the couldn't run the offense they wanted, they are a better team than they out on last weekend. I'm just saying that all in all, winning on a 54 yard field goal at the buzzer makes these teams very close to a coin toss in terms of talent.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, UNCs hurry up offense definitely confused FSU. it's unfortunate that they played the game in a hurricane against VT because it was very apparent that the couldn't run the offense they wanted, they are a better team than they out on last weekend. I'm just saying that all in all, winning on a 54 yard field goal at the buzzer makes these teams very close to a coin toss in terms of talent.
VT was better than UNC that day regardless of weather. VT runs a spread just like UNC does and VT had plenty of trouble holding on to the ball just like UNC did (actually more). The difference in that game was VT actually having a competent defense and UNC not having one. VT's defense would still be dramatically better even it were as dry as a whistle.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beating them in the rain on the road by 30+ points > losing to them at home

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

beating them in the rain on the road by 30+ points > losing to them at home

Pay no mind. Some Nole fans out there still long for the day when the ACC was FSU and the Eight Dwarves. That little run ended in 2001, and their resurgence occurred when VT, UNC and Miami were down, Clemson was building and Louisville wasn't in the conference. FSU still has an elite program, but other ACC teams are allowed to be good as well.

Virginia Tech has always been the least noticeable of the elite teams in the BCS Era, due primarily to Beamer's conservative coaching philosophy, which is why the Hokies finally made it onto the Coaches Poll this week. Looking at the BCS conference teams since the BCS Era began in 1998, how many had a better W/L record than Virginia Tech?

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we include Notre dame in the rankings? I just like to see them at the bottom of any conference

lastfan

Tenured
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stealing something from one of the newbs. It is a good idea, but he did the SEC so I will start off the ACC.

1 Clemson
2 Louisville
3 Wake Forest
4 N C State
5 Miami
6 Va Tech
7 Florida State
8 Pittsburgh
9 North Carolina
10 Georgia Tech
11 Duke
12 Boston College
13 Virginia
14 Syracuse

@Edisto_Tiger and anyone else

Needs to follow espn's flawless FPI ratings. Louisville should be first.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for shit and giggles 15 people voted the whole ACC. Using a 14-13-12...1 system here is the consensus

1 Clemson 210 15 1st
2 Louisville 195 15 2nd
3 Virginia Tech 174 11 3rd
4 FSU 154
5 Miami 151
6 North Carolina 141
7 Pittsburgh 117
8 N C State 107
9 Wake Forest 93
10 Georgia Tech 75
11 Duke 62
12 Virginia 38
13 Boston College 32
14 Syracuse 26

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT was better than UNC that day regardless of weather. VT runs a spread just like UNC does and VT had plenty of trouble holding on to the ball just like UNC did (actually more). The difference in that game was VT actually having a competent defense and UNC not having one. VT's defense would still be dramatically better even it were as dry as a whistle.

You guys won that game in those conditions, and on that day y'all were head and shoulders above Carolina. But to act as though the weather didn't impact the game in a way that hindered Carolina at least equally as much as VT is absolutely asanine. You guys have a mobile quarterback, a good defense, and you played in a hurricane against a team who relies on their pass game and was without their leading rusher. The wind and rain drastically hindered UNCs passing game, and we don't know how that game turned out if the weather didn't make us one dimensional. Yes, UNCs defense (especially run defense) is pathetic and the weather highlighted that.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, but the guy I quoted had UNC several spots behind FSU. I thought that seemed crazy

NoleJawn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson
UNC
FSU
Miami
Pitt
NC State
Wake
GT
UVA
Duke
BC
Cuse

fsu1jreed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC had an extra point blocked, a field goal missed, fumbled on the goal line with a chance to go up 21 at the half and then roughed the kicker with another chance to get the ball late in the game to go up 21. UNC made that FSU defense look so bad.

Thanks to numerous UNC OL holds* that were never called.......but that's how it's been since FSU joined the ACC, anytime FSU plays one of the Tobacco road teams the refs suddenly become short-sighted.

*Yes, I know holding could be called on nearly every play, but there was some blatant holds

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks to numerous UNC OL holds* that were never called.......but that's how it's been since FSU joined the ACC, anytime FSU plays one of the Tobacco road teams the refs suddenly become short-sighted.

*Yes, I know holding could be called on nearly every play, but there was some blatant holds

Welcome to tHoop. It's always like that in the ACC, the losing fans always criticize the refs, no matter what. Whether it's UNC fans Saturday or Georgia Tech fans there's always people complaining about something that they believe the officials missed. Conspiracy theories, Swofford hates them, the NCAA hates them, Ron Cherry sucks, there's something for everyone.

As far as that game specifically, I have no idea about the holds. I didn't have access to tv announcers showing holding penalties, and replays in which I could look for it. But, I know several UNC fans complained about a couple of PI calls that were called late in the game. It's just how officiating is, teams and fans always have complaints and think they see something the officials don't. If fans could throw flags there'd be a plethora of fans on every play.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was it Ron Cherry? Other than that, I think all ACC officials are equally incompetent .... I mean impartial.