• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to pay him, they even said so in their press conference yesterday, something that is a huge no, no when negotiating player contracts in the NFL, because it gives more leverage to the player.

Tells me they're close, just ironing out some wrinkles.

You have to keep in context RF, that AD is the one pushing his negotiations up two years in the time line, that's on him, and being a no show is on him too.

This will all be settled soon, the only real problem, even for a dude who is dedicated to the study of the game as AD is, moving from the 4-3 to 3-4 requires him to be in camp from day one. He is already behind the curve, and his teammates will suffer for it, again.... that's on Donald.
All of this reminds me of one of the few things that I liked about the XFL, which is everyone got a flat salary and you were paid more if you actually won the game. Not that that is ever likely to happen in the NFL but I'm pretty positive that if it were implemented, you wouldn't get holdouts like this.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that all that different from where the NFL started a century ago? With increased success and leverage, the player's position improves.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are going to pay him, they even said so in their press conference yesterday, something that is a huge no, no when negotiating player contracts in the NFL, because it gives more leverage to the player.

Tells me they're close, just ironing out some wrinkles.

You have to keep in context RF, that AD is the one pushing his negotiations up two years in the time line, that's on him, and being a no show is on him too.

This will all be settled soon, the only real problem, even for a dude who is dedicated to the study of the game as AD is, moving from the 4-3 to 3-4 requires him to be in camp from day one. He is already behind the curve, and his teammates will suffer for it, again.... that's on Donald.

They've had plenty of time to figure out a contract extension before training camp started and they could have avoided this issue. I hope you're right that both sides are ironing out some wrinkles, but from what I heard at the press conference yesterday, that's not the impression I'm getting.

Players like JJ Watt and others who have outperformed their rookie deals have been able to ink extensions with 2 years left on their contract. It's not like Donald blindsided the FO with his demands for a new contract. Everyone saw this coming after the season over. In my opinion, the FO shoulders most of the blame for Donald not showing up.

As far as Donald's preparation, I doubt he's going to suffer any sort of setback or have issues transitioning since he will still be a 3 technique on defense. If anything, this helps the other guys on the defensive line get additional reps that they wouldn't be seeing if Donald was there.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, this FO has a history of feigning ignorance on contract extensions through stupidity and with just plain being stubborn to the idea of creating and maintaining a winning attitude and keeping talented players to get it done. This dates back to the Queen Idiot whose lesser owner all through most of her tenure was none other than the limp biscuit!!

Last edited:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players like JJ Watt and others who have outperformed their rookie deals have been able to ink extensions with 2 years left on their contract. It's not like Donald blindsided the FO with his demands for a new contract. Everyone saw this coming after the season over. In my opinion, the FO shoulders most of the blame for Donald not showing up.
Didn't JJ Watt sign his deal in early September that year?

Sources: Watt, Texans agree to $100M deal

The story is dated 9/2/14, so it appears that way. (And I don't recall JJ holding out either)

Also we can't really point to Carr either even though he was in the same draft as AD. Carr wasn't eligible for the team to pick up a 5th year option, so his contract is not a good measuring stick. Also, the Lions never got a deal done with Suh, so his FA Miami deal doesn't exactly provide a good $$ amount for either side to seriously consider as well. There is a lot of uncharted territory, and with all the off season moves the FO has made in getting the new coaching staff on boarded and developing a plan to implement is time consuming. Also they have transitioned a lot of their scouting roles too. Not that Houston wasn't in the same spot, because they were, but apparently they didn't get their deal done with JJ until September.

As far as Donald's preparation, I doubt he's going to suffer any sort of setback or have issues transitioning since he will still be a 3 technique on defense. If anything, this helps the other guys on the defensive line get additional reps that they wouldn't be seeing if Donald was there.
I really think you are undervaluing the transition, it's not just about his role but knowing the roles of the LB's and DL's too. It's a scheme, which mean new language, different expectations, when he can expect to get that 1 on 1 match up and when he may get doubled. He really needs to be there, the CBA has limited these training practices to about 70 snaps, so every day he misses limits his fit in the scheme.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't JJ Watt sign his deal in early September that year?

Sources: Watt, Texans agree to $100M deal

The story is dated 9/2/14, so it appears that way. (And I don't recall JJ holding out either)

Also we can't really point to Carr either even though he was in the same draft as AD. Carr wasn't eligible for the team to pick up a 5th year option, so his contract is not a good measuring stick. Also, the Lions never got a deal done with Suh, so his FA Miami deal doesn't exactly provide a good $$ amount for either side to seriously consider as well. There is a lot of uncharted territory, and with all the off season moves the FO has made in getting the new coaching staff on boarded and developing a plan to implement is time consuming. Also they have transitioned a lot of their scouting roles too. Not that Houston wasn't in the same spot, because they were, but apparently they didn't get their deal done with JJ until September. 4.

I really think you are undervaluing the transition, it's not just about his role but knowing the roles of the LB's and DL's too. It's a scheme, which mean new language, different expectations, when he can expect to get that 1 on 1 match up and when he may get doubled. He really needs to be there, the CBA has limited these training practices to about 70 snaps, so every day he misses limits his fit in the scheme.

Exactly, We are transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4, every minute he spends with Wade Phillips could prove to be valuable right now....But, he's not there....

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe they haven't paid Donald yet. What are they thinking??

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player of Donald's caliber will not be hindered by missing training camp right now, even with a new defense being implemented. I think you're undervaluing how great a player Donald is, not to mention him being a great student of the game. He'll pick it up quick.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player of Donald's caliber will not be hindered by missing training camp right now, even with a new defense being implemented. I think you're undervaluing how great a player Donald is, not to mention him being a great student of the game. He'll pick it up quick.
Well it's not just me RF88, I first heard it said by the talking heads on the NFL Radio. Those guys aren't your usual sports announcers, the NFL station hires guys who have been in the Front Offices of NFL teams, well known former NFL players, and NFL agents. I would think they would have a better handle on the difficulties of transition than you or I.

I would agree with missing mandatory camp if they were not installing a new defensive scheme.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's not just me RF88, I first heard it said by the talking heads on the NFL Radio. Those guys aren't your usual sports announcers, the NFL station hires guys who have been in the Front Offices of NFL teams, well known former NFL players, and NFL agents. I would think they would have a better handle on the difficulties of transition than you or I.

I would agree with missing mandatory camp if they were not installing a new defensive scheme.

I guess I'll include them on my list as well then:2cents:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just frustrating that Goff can't seem to separate himself from these distracting stories. I just hope McVay is smart enough to start the best player and not the one with the biggest paycheck.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss going to the training camp practices. Has anyone been?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just frustrating that Goff can't seem to separate himself from these distracting stories. I just hope McVay is smart enough to start the best player and not the one with the biggest paycheck.
Reality sucks, but it's better than all the fluff in the form of praise we heard from the former HC, don't ya think?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man do I wish Kurt Warner was our QB all over again. His HOF speech is pretty darn good and it brings back soooo many memories!

His message of seizing all the small 'moments' that lead to greatness in total, and giving thanks to all whether in the light or not was most inspiring to say the least!