• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I see what you're saying, and maybe I kinda am thinking like an agent but let's look at his history.... You mention injuries and he has never been injured in his career... Who has been better than him at DT since he has entered the league? No one... Should we really wait a year and see if he gets injured/doesn't perform like he did in his past and then eventually have to franchise tag him(a la Trumaine Johnson who is almost 100% to go next season?)
That's just it, they don't need to tag him next year, they have his fifth year option. Next summer is the season where most the first rounders in his rookie class worthy of getting extensions, will get extensions.

The other reason the Rams give Donald an extension this year, besides locking him up this year for an additional 3 years (Ages 32-34) is like I said before, it's 'the right thing to do'. He has played his ass off, and is severely underpaid under the Rookie CBA salary deal for what he leaves out on the field.

Tru was a 3rd rounder, so the Rams didn't have a 5th year option, so the tag came much earlier in the process.

What Donald's camp should consider, if the Rams wanted to, they could have Donald on the Roster for ~$25M for the next three seasons after this season. (~$8.33M/Season) And anotherin 2020 for ~$14M.

So why would they do a 6 year deal in the excess of ~$115M now? Even if it were for the same as Suh, that would mean the Rams would be paying ~$90M for an extra 3 years! That's ~$30M/Season for a DT age 32-34!!

Even then the guaranteed money would be even more lopsided in Donald's favor should he get injured. (Suh got $60M of his $115M guaranteed for his 6 year deal)

Before an extension, if Donald were injured in the next 4 seasons, the Rams would be on the hook in:
  • 2017 - $1.8M this year.
  • 2018 - $7M on his option year.
  • 2019 ~$14M on tagged year.
That is a huge difference from $60M guaranteed!! (BTW - I am talking hypothetical injury scenarios because of the nature of the NFL. It's the reason the NFL doesn't offer fully guaranteed contacts compared to other sports like the NBA & MLB) And if they wanted, the Rams could tag him again in 2020 for ~15M!

So we are basically comparing an additional $90M in total contract terms for three additional years at the least, and only $25M of guaranteed money to $60M of guaranteed money.

Besides, 'Paying the Man' and 'Doing the right thing', extending Donald's contract now makes sense for the Rams because they can lock a possible HOFer for an additional 3 years, and have a happy camper in the locker room. Suh money could be had, but I think if Donald wants to go that route, he will be better suited next season when he has a lot more negotiating leverage.

Donald taking lessor than a Suh deal now makes sense for Aaron because he gets a huge pay raise this year, and could guarantee his contract an additional ~$40M instead of waiting another possible 4 years before hitting the open market, and risking injury all the while. Believe me, the discussion of injury, even though he has never been injured, is a huge part of this negotiation because that's what all the 'guaranteed' money is about.

Last, here's an article that kind of supports what I am saying...

How might the Rams structure an Aaron Donald Contract?

They are basically saying 6 years/$108M/$40M Guaranteed.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Thomas suspended the first four games for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Thomas suspended the first four games for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.
giphy.gif

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams TE Tyler Higbee pleads guilty to assault in Kentucky

Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee will avoid jail time after pleading guilty to assault for a fight outside a bar in Kentucky last year.

The Bowling Green (KY) Daily News reports that the former Western Kentucky standout pleaded guilty Friday to assault under extreme emotional disturbance. Warren Circuit Judge Steve Wilson ordered Higbee to pay the victim an undisclosed amount and perform 250 hours of community service as part of a five-year pretrial diversion program. Higbee also can't own or possess a gun, use drugs or drink alcohol.

If Higbee violates the terms of the diversion program, he could be given a two-year prison sentence.

i

Tight end Tyler Higbee pleaded guilty to assault stemming from a fight outside a bar that occurred weeks before he was drafted by the Rams

Higbee told police he and his girlfriend had been to a bar in April 2016 when he got into an argument with Nawaf Alsaleh.

Higbee and his girlfriend left the bar and went to a nearby parking lot to buy from a food truck. Police say Alsaleh approached Higbee again and that Higbee punched him.

Witnesses told police two men were arguing with Alsaleh and that one was yelling racial slurs at him. Brian Lowder, Higbee's attorney, told the newspaper that Higbee did not use a racial slur.

"The person who made the comments has acknowledged responsibility for having said the things he said," Lowder said. "The main thing we want to convey is Mr. Higbee as well as the victim are happy to put this behind them both. Mr. Higbee wishes him continued good health, and we believe it's a fair outcome given the circumstances."

Lowder said Alsaleh is now living in Saudi Arabia.

The Rams drafted Higbee in the fourth round a few weeks after his arrest. He played 16 games last season, tallying 11 receptions and one touchdown.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Rams TE Higbee pleads guilty to assault charge

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams Home. NFL network talking with Goff...
Nice interview, thanks for the link LTRF.

The only thing though, when the interviewer asked him what's the biggest difference from last year's offense to this year's offense under McVay, I sort of wished he would have said it's no longer a Middle School system, it's now a Pro System. :dhd:

But this kid is mature beyond his years, and provided the PC, close vest answer.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higbee is going to learn the hard way that when you are playing in the big leagues, ya' can't always go out to just any old place and if you do and people start bullshitting with you, the best thing to do is leave the area because there are so many a-hole lunatics out there, that going across the street is not always a good choice. He has got to get it through his head, that these types of people are everywhere and nearly every case, you just plain leave and then call the cops when someone starts to get nasty and pursue or stalk you. Take the honey ya' have Higbee and go home.

Last edited:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice interview, thanks for the link LTRF.

The only thing though, when the interviewer asked him what's the biggest difference from last year's offense to this year's offense under McVay, I sort of wished he would have said it's no longer a Middle School system, it's now a Pro System. :dhd:

But this kid is mature beyond his years, and provided the PC, close vest answer.

You mean the overcomplicated middle school offense???

"Foxtrot zulu milkshake Yankee doodle floppy disk critic goonies go left 74689372396 on 2.17438" which means run up the middle with no blocking??? No more of that? Damn, that sucks :lol: :suds:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higbee is going to learn the hard way that when you are playing in the big leagues, ya' can't always go out to just any old place and if you do and people start bullshitting with you, the best thing to do is leave the area because there are so many a-hole lunatics out there, that going across the street is not always a good choice. He has got to get it through his head, that these types of people are everywhere and all the time, you just plain leave and then call the cops when someone pursues you. Take the honey ya' have Higbee and go home.
You probably remember, this all happened to him prior to his draft, and now with the diversion program he can't even have an adult beverage for the next 5 years or it's jail time, so I hope for his sake he doesn't have to learn the hard way Retro.

He seems like a bright kid, and since he wont be drinking, I don't see him having any more situations like that again anytime soon.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Vita. I think the message has sunk in especially in light of his plea of guilty and accepting the consequences. I am sure he or someone he knows in the Rams organization has already made him aware of what happened to Stedman Bailey who returned home to the "hood" after he had just one year with the Rams.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably remember, this all happened to him prior to his draft, and now with the diversion program he can't even have an adult beverage for the next 5 years or it's jail time, so I hope for his sake he doesn't have to learn the hard way Retro.

He seems like a bright kid, and since he wont be drinking, I don't see him having any more situations like that again anytime soon.
I hope that you're right and that he doesn't succumb to all of the temptations that Los Angeles has to offer.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm curious to see how the defense adjusts to Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme, I think the focal point will once again be on the offense.
I'm definitely not expecting any miracles this year and figure it'll be at least next season to see how the McVay era is going to go for us. Not sure if Gurley will get to 1,000 yards again this season, just for the fact that we still have a bunch of the same guys on the line, sans Robinson and the addition of Whitworth (halleujah). And hopefully the WR's can up their game's this season and Goff can find someone that can go deep more often. As for Goff, just hope he can cut down on his mistakes, learn the playbook and look for other options if his primary WR is covered (that is, if the line can keep him upright long enough).

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Quick may not even make the Redskins team